Campers vs. Camping - GL1800Riders
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Campers vs. Camping

It's funny how the threads in this forum seem to be all about the camper trailer (noun) and not much about camping (verb) or campers (adj, or is that another noun?).
Capt. Bob likes this.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Seasoned Member

The wife & I go camping occasionally with our camper. It's a toy hauler, and so, we take a pair of bikes with us when we do. Also, we will occasionally pack the pull behind trailer and go with just the Hondas, and when we do, we sometimes have reservations at a KOA with camping Kabin's. One time, we stayed at a camping cabin at a campground just outside Sturgis too.

How's that?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
It's funny how the threads in this forum seem to be all about the camper trailer (noun) and not much about camping (verb) or campers (adj, or is that another noun?).
Turning wrenches for 40plus years killed my back. Tents are out of the question since I was 43 years old. I used to tent camp only till one day I could not get dressed on ground anymore . So answer your question , most are just too dang old to camping without trailer .
raw2210 and GLblinded like this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Seasoned Member

I used to love to camp. I did it as a Boy Scout, and then in the Army(not as much fun). And after marriage, I made several trips on the bike and camped. Sometimes in real campgrounds and sometimes where I could just find a good place to pitch a tent.

I took the wife with me on one of those trips and she did wonderful. But when the first son came we stopped travelling on a motorcycle and started camping with the car. Eventually after a trip to Nova Scotia we graduated to a pull behind pop-up camper. We used that for several years and then got a real travel trailer with heat, air conditioning and a toilet. We camped all over the east coast with that trailer. We had a blast!

And then I got my first real touring bike and took a cross country trip with my youngest son(he was 12) and he and I camped. So when I got home I suggested that she and I take a trip on the bike and camp so we went to the motorcycle races at VIR. When we got home, she explained to me that henceforth if we were going to travel by motorcycle, then camping would have to involve a real bed, a porcelain toilet with shower. And a TV would be nice!

I made a few trips after that and enjoyed myself camping with my old tent, but all of our travel since 1990 has resulted in motel rooms. Does it cost more--probably but this makes it more of a vacation for her with no camp chores and she does not have to eat my camp cooking!

I might someday convince her to get a motorhome but if not I will also continue to enjoy the comfort of motels.

Harvey
04 GL1800
Ride Safe and Ride Often
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
My first camping experience with my then-new-ish wife, I laid out what seemed an embarrassment of luxury to an infantry Marine but somehow didn't quite clear her bar for tolerable misery, to say nothing of pleasure.

We managed to move to a tolerable and even happy middle over time. We have plans to make a concerted push to get out more this year, but the two new dogs will put a crimp in the moto- aspect of motocamping. To my chagrin.

We'll probably end up with you old decrepit folks eventually. I'm just a slow learner.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Planning on camping this year without tent or camper. Camped some last year in a tent but sleep was difficult with considerable back problems. Was looking for a lees-ure lite camper but found a different solution. Will be leaving the tent packed and will camp sleeping in a hammock under a tarp. The tarp will be big enough for the hammock and cover bike, this will make packing/unpacking when it's raining much easier. Found a hammock to be very comfortable and solved the back problems. Actually sleep better in my hammock than my bed.

2008 Titanium Gl1800
G709 @ 39 psi
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS RFT @ 28 to 30 psi
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Did the tent on ground thing. Was ok. Bought got kompact kamp and really enjoy it. Off ground / easy set up n take down.
raw2210 and silverbullet05 like this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

We have done everything from the pics below (and yes we are under every capacity on both the toy hauler and the Highlander in fact our only problem is remembering to stay 65-70 mph on the freeways):

But once we were poor and lived with this:

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything" ​Charles Kuralt
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

I've done lots of camping and if I'm attending an event where it is a "camping" event I'll camp. Otherwise, Motels.

When I'm doing long days, I much prefer to ride longer, get a Motel, have a shower, up early and leave. No unpacking, setting up tent, putting away a wet tent etc.

Now, as I approach Retirement, if I'm doing a month long trip I may reconsider and do some camping in between Motels.
Cajunhog likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 PM

I like my tent (along with my air mattress) I've found myself in some beautiful places (and some not so nice) and enjoy the adventure.
sasqach and Capt. Bob like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page