GL1800Riders Forums banner

destroying flash drives

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Bucfan11 
#1 ·
I have gone through 4 thumb drives in my bike. They work for a time but then suddenly stop playing music. Each time I was listening and riding and the music just stops for no reason. Then the thumb drive is useless. None of my computers will recognize it whether it is MS Windows or Linux.

any thoughts or comments?

#5 ·
PUT SOME CLOTHES ON THEM :eek:4::lol:

#7 ·
From what I've seen SanDisk is the prefered trouble free brand. That's all I'll use.
:agree: Also, verify the voltage at the usb outlet. A bad usb voltage regulator will provide too much voltage and "flash" your drive. I have run across this on other items, including one that fried 2 Magellan gps units (that was an expensive find).

#8 ·
Try formatting the USB Stick on your PC before using it (fat32). Also see if a reformat will resurrect the dead ones.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
All the suggestions are well taken. The first drive I used was a SanDisk but after that on got bricked I chose a cheapy one. I am too scared now to put a good drive in there.

On the SanDisk, I might have had 100 songs on it and maybe 6 folders. The second drive I had two folder and about 40 songs; something like 30 in one folder and 10 in the other.

All my drives are FAT32 drives.

If it is a voltage thing, I will have Honda check that out.

Either way, it is not all that important to me. Using the USB is not user friendly. The USB option in my Lincoln is very nice. I can search for songs by name, artist, or genre. Also, the album name, the song title and artist all show up on the screen. Not being able to lump songs (in order) together as an album in the GoldWing is terrible. One the only detractors from the bike. Most other things are a-o-k.

Thanks for the input
Fred

#10 ·
All the suggestions are well taken. The first drive I used was a SanDisk but after that on got bricked I chose a cheapy one. I am too scared now to put a good drive in there.

On the SanDisk, I might have had 100 songs on it and maybe 6 folders. The second drive I had two folder and about 40 songs; something like 30 in one folder and 10 in the other.

Either way, it is not all that important to me. Using the USB is not user friendly. The USB option in my Lincoln is very nice. I can search for songs by name, artist, or genre. Also, the album name, the song title and artist all show up on the screen. Not being able to lump songs (in order) together as an album in the GoldWing is terrible. One the only detractors from the bike. Most other things are a-o-k.

Thanks for the input
Fred
Fred, good luck finding the problem. Unless it is w widely reported issue, I doubt you'll get much help from honda. If they can't repeat it, they shove you off. And, if you happen to be getting an occasional voltage spike (that might corrupt the FAT table), that will be difficult to duplicate.

#11 ·

Thanks for the input
Fred
You can't see them all together but you can see most by clicking on a left most button, probably 3 down. It will show song, album and artist I believe. Forgot what the button says, though.

It won't do a search but show you those items on the song being played.

"Not being able to lump songs (in order) together as an album in the GoldWing is terrible"

You do that in each folder you create and name to your liking.

#12 ·
You can't see them all together but you can see most by clicking on a left most button, probably 3 down. It will show song, album and artist I believe. Forgot what the button says, though.

It won't do a search but show you those items on the song being played.

"Not being able to lump songs (in order) together as an album in the GoldWing is terrible"

You do that in each folder you create and name to your liking.
I guess I have some more playing to do.

#13 ·
I'll assume the new Wings have a USB port for the stereo, if so it would be read only. No way to damage it other than physical damage. Vibration or electricity will be the culprit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.