Installed a CB radio and antenna today - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Installed a CB radio and antenna today

I installed a CB radio and antenna in my 2012 Wing this afternoon. The instructions are fairly straight forward and easy to follow. The biggest headache was gettting the seat bolts started. It took me almost as long to do that as it did to install everything.

After disconnecting the negative battery cable I was expecting to have to reset everything. The only thing I had to reset was the FM stations preset buttons. The clock and the XM must have memory because I didn't have to reset either one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Be prepared for issues with " cb error" etc. happens off and own on 2012's. I finally corrected it by wrapping cb with tin foil...

Bob Weatherford
Acworth, Ga
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw700 View Post
Be prepared for issues with " cb error" etc. happens off and own on 2012's. I finally corrected it by wrapping cb with tin foil...
I corrected mine by moving the coax around until I found a spot that worked..That was after the swr was set ...problems I had were squeal in transmit mode,cb error message and tx message would stay on even when I was not transmitting..I think the squeal was back feed from another electrical unit on the bike or my cb coax .....i tried not to cross the coax over itself also...it works great now except the guys in my group say its to loud compared to the honda cb...mine is a bike mp3...I have tried to tone it down by programming as per pete at mp3 but it dident work
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsled View Post
I corrected mine by moving the coax around until I found a spot that worked..That was after the swr was set ...problems I had were squeal in transmit mode,cb error message and tx message would stay on even when I was not transmitting..I think the squeal was back feed from another electrical unit on the bike or my cb coax .....i tried not to cross the coax over itself also...it works great now except the guys in my group say its to loud compared to the honda cb...mine is a bike mp3...I have tried to tone it down by programming as per pete at mp3 but it dident work
I bought some magnets from radio shack for $3 to put on the coax to take care of the squeal.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Seasoned Member

cb install 2012 vs 2010

Gonna help a friend install cb and antenna tomorrow on his new 2012. I did my 2010 in April 2012. Any significant changes or tricks that will help make an easy task?

Thanks

Steve
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Shaking my head!

I want to instal a CB on my 2012 and after reading all these issues am having second thoughts! What's going on with Honda. Their CB is expensive and it should work flawless. Foil wrap? Taking the seat off a 2012? I thought the 12 model just plugged in under the radio unit in the top case ? Drill two holes, instal the antenna and away you go?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
IThe biggest headache was gettting the seat bolts started. It took me almost as long to do that as it did to install everything.
This is the resolution from Wingstuff to avoid this aggrevation next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat bolts.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	34958

http://wingstuff.com/products/33306-...?from_search=1

and if you want to strap something on the passenger seat with bungees, use this combo. These get a better fit for the bungees and will also avoid that you will damages the handles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat bolts + bungee holders.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	34959.
http://wingstuff.com/products/33309-...?from_search=1

Harry Nelissen
Venray
The Netherlands
2013 GL1800 Airbag Graphite Black
1976 GL1000 LTD European Spec
1976 GL1000 LTD American Spec
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

CB

Installed my HONDA CB in my 2012 a couple of weeks ago. No seat removal, no battery disconnect, etc. Darn easy install and works just fine. Just go with the flow?

Rich

The answer is always "NO" unless you ask.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Member

2012 install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
I want to instal a CB on my 2012 and after reading all these issues am having second thoughts! What's going on with Honda. Their CB is expensive and it should work flawless. Foil wrap? Taking the seat off a 2012? I thought the 12 model just plugged in under the radio unit in the top case ? Drill two holes, instal the antenna and away you go?
Newby is correct. Honda oem. I just run the antenna cable in the trunk over to the radio. Not like instructions said. Only three holes for antenna and they were marked on the inside of the trunk. Also did another for a guy with a 2007 with the gl2way. Not bad to install either just took a little more time. No problems with either unit.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
The CB is fine the problem is the bike radio the CB radiation was just not considered when the radio (basically a modified car unit) was designed, however the majority of bikes work just fine, 2001-2003 there were many issues with CB they are now resolved so for the 2012+ go ahead and install whichever CB you buy and in the unlikely event of issues they are at least well documented and fixable.

Pete

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
William Blake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page