Navigation System Interupt for 2012 & 2013 Goldwing - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Seasoned Member

You can buy the unit that turns on the nav everytime you start the bike. $114 and I thought I would not want to spend that kind of money. But after using the unit more, it is worth it. No buttons etc., just turn the bike on and the unit starts. There is splicing of wires but looks pretty easy. Guess the price went up since I saw it last. http://wingstuff.com/products/35004-...?from_search=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Powell View Post
BBTW Blue, do you have Wingstuff's seat bolts?
Yes I do, and yes they definately help. A somewhat practical solution. If not a perfect fix, it does make things much better.

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
No intention of bashing here, just an honest question.
First, when I was a LEO, I was amazed at the number of accidents in which, cell phones and texting were the causes of "driver inattention" leading to many accidents.
Riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous.
Therefore, why would anyone want to enable an activity that would divert ones attention away from the job at hand!
I have Nav on my bike but, I refuse to look at the screen while in motion, lest my vision be deterred just a second to long!

I don't plan far enough in advance to know exactly the route I'm going and where I want to stop next.

I like to look at alternative roads while I'm riding and if I decide to take one, I don't want to have to pull over on the side of the road and hope I don't get hit while I re-program my GPS.

I also like to see what restaraunts might be in the upcoming town when I'm 30 miles away from it so I can get an idea if we should stop there for lunch or maybe the next town where the choices are better.

Truth be told, the ONLY reason I have on-board navigation on my bike is that I wanted ABS and couldn't get it without it. I actually prefer my old Zumo 550 that I can do anything on while riding and it actually goes to bigger buttons so you can operate it with gloves on. However, since it IS on the bike, I can't stand it to be there and not be able to use it so I'll definitely be installing the switch. I'll likely end up installing both and have 2 GPS units on the bike.
edmKC likes this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Great thread....thx for posting.

I had to stop on the side of the road 3 times just to get my bike back from Russellville, AR to DFW, TX because of GPS or Headlight adjustment functionality being disabled while I was riding.

To that last point.....do you know if this switch will also allow you to adjust the headlight while moving?

I have no idea why Honda thought trimming your headlight as you rode was somehow unsafe in 2012 when it was perfectly safe in 2001-2010 but now you have to stop to fix your headlight as well as control your GPS.

I found myself on the shoulder of a I-40 trying to figure out if level 5, or maybe 6, or possibly 7 or 8 was where I needed my light to be. I had to stop twice just to get it right as the first time I was blinding people and the second time I wasn't able to see far enough ahead.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

I'm still curious as to why you used a switch instead of simply disconnecting the wire. Would that disable some other function? Like AVC ?
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I'm still curious as to why you used a switch instead of simply disconnecting the wire. Would that disable some other function? Like AVC ?

I believe if you disconnect it completely, it won't work to show you turn by turn directions and movement as it will artificially suspend those functions as not needed since it thinks you are not moving.

As such...you turn of the switch to make it think you are stopped, make your changes, and then turn it back on to re-enable functionality.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 PM
GL1800 Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
I believe if you disconnect it completely, it won't work to show you turn by turn directions and movement as it will artificially suspend those functions as not needed since it thinks you are not moving.

As such...you turn of the switch to make it think you are stopped, make your changes, and then turn it back on to re-enable functionality.
Correct, the Nav needs the speed sensor input to know it's moving and to calculate distance, time, etc... It doesn't rely on the satellite data to show movement like a handheld unit.

Rob's Candy Red '04
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Makes sense, sort of. Yet another reason hand held are better than panel mounted.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
The Navigation System will not update with fresh GPS data unless the Bike is moving . . . . ie there is a VSS input Signal. As a result, interrupting the VSS Signal will allow you to "manage" the system while the logic of the Navigation System believes that the Bike is stationary; but for the Navigation System to resume its function the VSS Signal must be restored.

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a subaru and the nav system on it was locked down. but the subi site had a fix
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tml#post209308

now it is like my zumo and will let me do what I want.

I sure wish I could find this info for the wing
the only reason I have the wing nav was I wanted abs so I have a nav system on the bike that is pretty nice if you want to stop all the time to find out where the motel or food is. so my zumo mounted on the left bar gets all the use

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page