Navigation System Interupt for 2012 & 2013 Goldwing - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:33 PM

Navigation system interrupt for 2012 !

Good Day . I am a new member. I try to find the pictures about your installation for this switch . Where I Cavan find it please ? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
The Wiring, or more correctly the Wiring Harness Connector and the Vehicle Speed Signal on the 2012 and 2013 Navigation System appears to be somewhat different than what I've seen others publish for 2010 and prior model years. Over this weekend I Installed a Switch that interrupts the Vehicle Speed Signal to the Navigation Unit on my 2013 Air Bag Model. This allows me to use the the Navigation Unit as if the bike were at 0 MPH after about a 3-5 second delay. The only parts required were Radio Shack Switch P/N 275-730 (~$3.49) a bit of Wire, Solder and Shrink Tubing. Hopefully the attached pictures are self explanatory. There are several images of the Switch as installed, The Original Wiring Diagrams with and without the aforementioned switch; and I also included a number of pictures of the Wiring Harness Connector Location and close ups of the Wiring Harness Connector itself showing the White Wire with the Black Tracer (W/B*) that the Switch interrupts.

I'll try and respond to any questions, but I will NOT remove the seat again . . . . OMG reinstalling the seat is such a PIA on a Goldwing . . . every time I swear "Never Again" . . . .
P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrieric View Post
You can buy the unit that turns on the nav everytime you start the bike. $114 and I thought I would not want to spend that kind of money. But after using the unit more, it is worth it. No buttons etc., just turn the bike on and the unit starts. There is splicing of wires but looks pretty easy. Guess the price went up since I saw it last. http://wingstuff.com/products/35004-...?from_search=1
yeah I looked at that product....to many "have to do this and have to do that" and caviats for that price....Price is way to high.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappy320 View Post
Good Day . I am a new member. I try to find the pictures about your installation for this switch . Where I Cavan find it please ? Thank you P
See the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2595
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	57194  

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawolf View Post
I am with you, I don't want to change anything while I am driving but I hate waiting for the system to prompt me to answer the safety warning before I can leave the gas station.

I never have to wait for the system to come up to speed. There is an easy way so you don't have to wait around for your Navigation system come up and running before you take off. As soon as you get to your bike, turn the key to the Accessory position. This will begin the warm up of the Navigation unit. By the time you get your helmet, jacket etc. on, turn the key to "on" position, start your bike on and your off. At a gas station I do the same right after opening the gas cap lid. Put the key back in and turn it immediately to Accessory. After you do that a few times it comes natural. No need for a switch to avoid the wait.

2012 Red Goldwing - Level 3, triked with a 2015 CSC Viper Conversion.
2013 Bushtec "Sportstar" Trailer

post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiel1 View Post
I never have to wait for the system to come up to speed. There is an easy way so you don't have to wait around for your Navigation system come up and running before you take off. As soon as you get to your bike, turn the key to the Accessory position. This will begin the warm up of the Navigation unit. By the time you get your helmet, jacket etc. on, turn the key to "on" position, start your bike on and your off. At a gas station I do the same right after opening the gas cap lid. Put the key back in and turn it immediately to Accessory. After you do that a few times it comes natural. No need for a switch to avoid the wait.
If you group ride and stop for gas it seems like somebody always is talking and I forget to start the gps, or we all make a stop and we are talking and all of a sudden half the guys are ready to go and you get in a hurry and forget. For me I have used mine many times and its so nice to flip the switch going down the road. It costs less than $10 to purchase materials needed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Per a PM I received requesting that I post these . . . . Here are the images for installing the Nav Interrupt I put together for/on my bike.

Hope these help . . .

BTW, Radio Shack (Tandy Corporation) isn't doing very well financially . . . . and these switches are no longer available on-line from Radio Shack . . . ominous. You can search local store inventory, but if you are like me, I ran out and bought a few of them . . . . just in case , 'cause ya jus never know . . . if I ever need to replace it . . . . I don't want to buy a whole new panel just to accommodate a different design/size/shape switch . . . Duh!

Name:	VSS Upload - 001.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	57246

Name:	VSS Upload - 004.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	57249

Name:	VSS Upload - 005.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	57247

Name:	VSS Upload - 002.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	57250

Name:	VSS Upload - 003.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	57248

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks, those pictures sure will help.

To help your outlook, remember Who's looking out for you.

Be nice, the more you do it the easier it gets.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Thank you very much for your help !

I am very happy for this information .

Quote:
Per a PM I received requesting that I post these . . . . Here are the images for installing the Nav Interrupt I put together for/on my bike.

Hope these help . . .

BTW, Radio Shack (Tandy Corporation) isn't doing very well financially . . . . and these switches are no longer available on-line from Radio Shack . . . ominous. You can search local store inventory, but if you are like me, I ran out and bought a few of them . . . . just in case , 'cause ya jus never know . . . if I ever need to replace it . . . . I don't want to buy a whole new panel just to accommodate a different design/size/shape switch . . . Duh!

Attachment 57246

Attachment 57249

Attachment 57247

Attachment 57250

Attachment 57248
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Hope these help . . .

I was able to order the switch from "Octopart dot com"
http://octopart.com/275-730-radioshack-7528882

Yes, I changed my mind. I'm going for it.

2012 Red Goldwing - Level 3, triked with a 2015 CSC Viper Conversion.
2013 Bushtec "Sportstar" Trailer

post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiel1 View Post
I was able to order the switch from "Octopart dot com"
http://octopart.com/275-730-radioshack-7528882

Yes, I changed my mind. I'm going for it.
Make sure that is the correct switch, when I picked mine up at radio shack they had several different ones. The picture on the link you provided shows the same part number but it has a housing around the switch, the housing switch is face mount and not flush mount. you might be able to take the switch out of the housing and flush mount it. the flush mount has threaded nut on back to mount it with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page