Navigation System Interupt for 2012 & 2013 Goldwing - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Navigation System Interupt for 2012 & 2013 Goldwing

The Wiring, or more correctly the Wiring Harness Connector and the Vehicle Speed Signal on the 2012 and 2013 Navigation System appears to be somewhat different than what I've seen others publish for 2010 and prior model years. Over this weekend I Installed a Switch that interrupts the Vehicle Speed Signal to the Navigation Unit on my 2013 Air Bag Model. This allows me to use the the Navigation Unit as if the bike were at 0 MPH after about a 3-5 second delay. The only parts required were Radio Shack Switch P/N 275-730 (~$3.49) a bit of Wire, Solder and Shrink Tubing. Hopefully the attached pictures are self explanatory. There are several images of the Switch as installed, The Original Wiring Diagrams with and without the aforementioned switch; and I also included a number of pictures of the Wiring Harness Connector Location and close ups of the Wiring Harness Connector itself showing the White Wire with the Black Tracer (W/B*) that the Switch interrupts.

I'll try and respond to any questions, but I will NOT remove the seat again . . . . OMG reinstalling the seat is such a PIA on a Goldwing . . . every time I swear "Never Again" . . . .
fleming49, PGLong and DieselDave like this.

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
The other three pictures . . . .

Actually I used a pair of insulated Spade Connectors at the Wiring Harness Connector so that if I need to I can return the wiring to it's original configuration again . . . just as quickly as I can Remove and Replace the FN Seat!

Current Bikes:

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:52 AM

OMG!, I was searching for navigation pinouts and came across this. this is awesome.. I love the switch location and look. I'm doing it. this just looks perfect.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Banned

No intention of bashing here, just an honest question.
First, when I was a LEO, I was amazed at the number of accidents in which, cell phones and texting were the causes of "driver inattention" leading to many accidents.
Riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous.
Therefore, why would anyone want to enable an activity that would divert ones attention away from the job at hand!
I have Nav on my bike but, I refuse to look at the screen while in motion, lest my vision be deterred just a second to long!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Cruiseman Send a message via MSN to Cruiseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
First, when I was a LEO, I was amazed at the number of accidents in which, cell phones and texting were the causes of "driver inattention" leading to many accidents.
Therefore, why would anyone want to enable an activity that would divert ones attention away from the job at hand!
I have Nav on my bike but, I refuse to look at the screen while in motion, lest my vision be deterred just a second to long!
I am not sure it is any worse than the 2012/2013 radio button location. The safest solution would be a voice-recognition through the intercom to control all electronics when riding.
doctorbob12 likes this.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
Fair enough, but If Honda would allow the Nav to start automatically (like say the radio) I would never have considered adding this switch. My Jeep manages to do this automatically after a brief warning display . . . I haven't added any switches to the Jeep even though the addition of such a switch in the Jeep's Nav Unit's VSS input would allow for the same "on the move" operation. All this said there is a veritable cottage industry manufacturing and installing bypass systems. I'm old enough to remember the old Seat Belt Interlock Systems which met with similar general rejection and did little to promote seat belt use . . . although it did promote all sorts of work around shenanigans. Distracted Driving is a real problem, please don't misinterpret my motivation, but enforcing this sort of behavior is not likely to produce the desired result any more than prohibition stopped drunk driving. Admittedly I don't have an answer, but using electronic nannies will probably not solve the problem either. More likely the use of these devices/program logic will in the long run result in public rejection of these intrusions altogether.

Current Bikes:

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
Fair enough, but If Honda would allow the Nav to start automatically (like say the radio) I would never have considered adding this switch. My Jeep manages to do this automatically after a brief warning display . . . I haven't added any switches to the Jeep even though the addition of such a switch in the Jeep's Nav Unit's VSS input would allow for the same "on the move" operation. All this said there is a veritable cottage industry manufacturing and installing bypass systems. I'm old enough to remember the old Seat Belt Interlock Systems which met with similar general rejection and did little to promote seat belt use . . . although it did promote all sorts of work around shenanigans. Distracted Driving is a real problem, please don't misinterpret my motivation, but enforcing this sort of behavior is not likely to produce the desired result any more than prohibition stopped drunk driving. Admittedly I don't have an answer, but using electronic nannies will probably not solve the problem either. More likely the use of these devices/program logic will in the long run result in public rejection of these intrusions altogether.
I am with you, I don't want to change anything while I am driving but I hate waiting for the system to prompt me to answer the safety warning before I can leave the gas station.
doctorbob12 likes this.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Member

I really like the look and location of the switch, I also understand distracted drivers. Im not a 17 yr old girl trying to read my facebook and txt while driving. I think Honda needs to change something to let the Nav start up after your on the roll, I group ride alot and many times after stopping I forget to restart my Nav and everyone is pulling out. The LEO around here are on their cell phones more than most, and thats in the city, so to me is more distracting than switching on my Nav on the roll.
Rapidray likes this.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

I think it's much more of a distraction to have that page of text pop up. Lock out is always a setup option on hand held units. BTW what would happen if you just disconnected that wire? BBTW Blue, do you have Wingstuff's seat bolts? Huge difference!

[Sarcasm mode : ON ] As much as The Powers That Be preach about distracted driving, they seem to want us to be constantly reading something on the roll. The speedometer! "But Officer, I didn't want to drive distracted!" Do you think that would work?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Powell View Post
I think it's much more of a distraction to have that page of text pop up. Lock out is always a setup option on hand held units. BTW what would happen if you just disconnected that wire? BBTW Blue, do you have Wingstuff's seat bolts? Huge difference!

[Sarcasm mode : ON ] As much as The Powers That Be preach about distracted driving, they seem to want us to be constantly reading something on the roll. The speedometer! "But Officer, I didn't want to drive distracted!" Do you think that would work?
Honestly, this thing is kinda common though. On my Lexus, they have a warning disclaimer each time you start up the car. Then the navigation inputting screens are disabled while you're driving. I've had some close calls adjusting the sat radio.. so I can see why they do thta.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page