Brake shutter after recall - Page 11 - GL1800Riders
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Talked to shop today and they are waiting on Honda Rep. to come in Friday. Also told me that they are doing a new brake bleed.
Also rear brake i dragging and getting hot. Told them things inside saddle bags got very hot. Has anyone else had this problem?

Daffy Duck
Land Between the Lake
Darkside#578

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes we know why the shuDDer occurs. An air pocket gets trapped in a high spot in the brake plumbing behind the left fork high above the secondary master. If one is mechanically inclined and has and can modify the tool needed to safely open the compression nut at that high spot, the air can be purged and the shudder will be gone. I do not know if following the last step helps too, never got anymore air from that location.

The tool needed is a compression nut wrench, looks like a 6 point box wrench with an opening just big enough to fit over the metal tubing. I think it is either 12 or 14mm and it ha to be short as the space is limited. Mine was a combination 12 plus 14 and I scored it with a hack blade and broke the handle of the wrench with a BFH and vice. Pump the rear peddle several time and hold it down while opening the joint, close the joint and then release the peddle. Repeat about 6 times. DO wrap a shop towel around the wrench and fitting, your Tupperware will appreciate not having brake fluid on its finish.

prs
Justaryder and gulfrider like this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #103 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

I picked bike up after dealer said Honda told them was nothing wrong with brakes. On the ride home on hwy 232 in Tennessee with temp at about 80 degs. it is still there. I'm so done with Honda. This is my 6th Goldwing and my last unless Honda steps up and owns up to a real problem. Also dealer said they did Rocky Bleed.

Daffy Duck
Land Between the Lake
Darkside#578

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Daffy Duck; 11-19-2016 at 12:49 PM.

post #104 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Sure am glad my wing has never had the brake shudder issue and yes I did have the brake recall done about 10,000 miles ago.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #105 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy Duck View Post
I picked bike up after dealer said Honda told them was nothing wrong with brakes. On the ride home on hwy 232 in Tennessee with temp at about 80 degs. it is still there. I'm so done with Honda. This is my 6th Goldwing and my last unless Honda steps up and owns up to a real problem. Also dealer said they did Rocky Bleed.

So frustrating, I really doubt if they did the Rocky bleed, its not in the instruction's. LOL
Do you have a lemon law in Tenn.?
Go up the chain of command and don't give up, make a few phone calls. Maybe you've already done this.
I haven't taken my bike in for the recall..It works just fine as it is.
Good Luck.

later...Randy
2005 Billet Silver ABS

....... 1967-1971......

Proud Member Of The PGR
Since 2006
post #106 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTHEWIND View Post
So frustrating, I really doubt if they did the Rocky bleed, its not in the instruction's. LOL
Go up the chain of command and don't give up, make a few phone calls. Maybe you've already done this.
Good Luck.
Even rocky didn't do the rocky bled after he let a dealer do the recall.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #107 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTHEWIND View Post
Good Luck.
I'm with you. My brakes have been just fine for 80k miles now and I believe they will be just fine the way they are. Don't need to add a shudder or risk broken parts or improper reassembly.

greyhound
2002 Illusion Blue

No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".
post #108 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 AM
Seasoned Member

My brakes work fine. I'll do the pre ride check once in a while, which is just apply the rear brake a few times, then turn the rear wheel. I do this, my rear wheel always turns, my brakes always work, my brakes don't stutter, I don't have a wobble from installing the front wheel incorrectly. After recall, who knows how many problems will be experienced. Even a few that had no problem before the recall, had brakes locked up after the recall work. I've been f**ked too many times to risk ruining my GL1800 by incompetent repair of things not broken. Not a Honda problem, it's the same if you own a Honda, Toyota or a Freightliner semi or the rest. Fact is this recall involves a lot of work to do correctly, and a lot of work done correctly is never going to be the norm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page