Stumble on 2014 and newer goldwings - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingrider\tl View Post
Do any 2014 and newer Goldwing's still suffer from the Stumble. I am curious because the ECM has changed part numbers in 2014. The part sites state it is not compatible with the 2012 and I'm curious what changed.
Fred Harmon is probably the most knowledgeable guy here on the ECMs. If anyone knows, it's Fred.
Ironhorse1800 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Member

My 05 did not. My 15 does have that little stumble at cold engine.
Michael

A man opens a door for a woman not to be polite but so he can check out her butt.

88 V-max
15 Goldwing Candy/Black
85 V-max (wives)
04 VTX 1300 (wives)
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
This may liven up this Thread, but it is true. Niether my 2010 nor my 2015 Harley's suffer from any cold driveabilty problems. But my 2013 Goldwing has had a nasty cold engine stumble/flat spot/hesitation (call it what you will) since about 3,000 miles. Many Threads on this here on this Forum. If you don't like it (and I do not) submit a safety complaint on the NHTSA Web site as I and many others have done. The squeeking wheel gets the grease, as the expression goes. NHTSA has already sent one letter to Honda about this . . . more complaints to NHTSA can only help to raise the importance of this issue with NHTSA and by extention Honda.
93interstater likes this.

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

My 2015 has a bad case of the stumble, almost dropped it a few times taking off from a stop and turning onto a street. Mine has to warm up for at least 5 minutes (until it idles down) before it works properly.

Retired RCN Weapons Tech
Prowler # 140
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
This may liven up this Thread, but it is true. Niether my 2010 nor my 2015 Harley's suffer from any cold driveabilty problems. But my 2013 Goldwing has had a nasty cold engine stumble/flat spot/hesitation (call it what you will) since about 3,000 miles. Many Threads on this here on this Forum. If you don't like it (and I do not) submit a safety complaint on the NHTSA Web site as I and many others have done. The squeeking wheel gets the grease, as the expression goes. NHTSA has already sent one letter to Honda about this . . . more complaints to NHTSA can only help to raise the importance of this issue with NHTSA and by extention Honda.
anybody have a link handy to complain?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

76 Kawasaki
78 Yamaha Enduro 500
81 Kawasaki
91 HD Sportster
92 GL1500 I
05 HD Roadking
2012 HD Ultra Limited
2014 Level 3 GL1800 Candy Red

Dave
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Based on the responses above, it appears the answer is still yes..they 15's and 16's still stumble even with a new ECM part number. (it may be better though...we'd need Guhl to flash a 15 / 16 to see what it was before to know for sure)

To all the guys guessing as to what causes it... there is no need to guess. It's not a mystery anymore and hasn't been for 2 years. The stock ECM is leaner than the pre 2012 models at the exact RPM ranges the stumble occurs at. This is what the engine is using for fuel mapping before the exhaust heats up enough to move to closed loop FI. Honda leaned it out for some reason (probably to pass a EPA regulation) and now they stumble.

The only proper fix is to re-flash the ECM to restore the missing fuel at that RPM. Guhl motors can do it if it bothers you or you can live with it like I have.

(Side note.... it doesn't actually "fix" the problem of a lean mapped ECM but the device Lewis makes from EC does work to eliminate the stumble by tricking the bike to think the air temp is colder than it is so it delivers more fuel while still in open FI. I suppose it's an option as well but it makes it rich through all the RPM ranges during open loop so it's not ideal or as good as the actual re-flash IMO)

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
Based on the responses above, it appears the answer is still yes..they 15's and 16's still stumble even with a new ECM part number.
I have not seen this issue on my '16. But then that could be due to me being in Southern California where it's not as cold as other areas.

~ Ron
2016 Metallic Gray/Black ABS (level 3)
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Based on the responses above, it appears the answer is still yes..they 15's and 16's still stumble even with a new ECM part number. (it may be better though...we'd need Guhl to flash a 15 / 16 to see what it was before to know for sure)

To all the guys guessing as to what causes it... there is no need to guess. It's not a mystery anymore and hasn't been for 2 years. The stock ECM is leaner than the pre 2012 models at the exact RPM ranges the stumble occurs at. This is what the engine is using for fuel mapping before the exhaust heats up enough to move to closed loop FI. Honda leaned it out for some reason (probably to pass a EPA regulation) and now they stumble.

The only proper fix is to re-flash the ECM to restore the missing fuel at that RPM. Guhl motors can do it if it bothers you or you can live with it like I have.

(Side note.... it doesn't actually "fix" the problem of a lean mapped ECM but the device Lewis makes from EC does work to eliminate the stumble by tricking the bike to think the air temp is colder than it is so it delivers more fuel while still in open FI. I suppose it's an option as well but it makes it rich through all the RPM ranges during open loop so it's not ideal or as good as the actual re-flash IMO)
Sorry, I'm a little confused by this. If the stumble is caused because the ECM on 2012 and later models is "leaner", then are you saying that the pre 2012 models don't stumble?

2016 Goldwing (Candy Orange)
2009 Goldwing (Black Cherry) - FOR SALE
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTraveler View Post
Sorry, I'm a little confused by this. If the stumble is caused because the ECM on 2012 and later models is "leaner", then are you saying that the pre 2012 models don't stumble?
Correct.

Or at a minimum, they don't stumble because of the leaning of the ECM that was done in 2012 and what some might perceive as a stumble on the pre-2012 is not the same stumble as the 2012 and later ones.

Personally, I've never felt a stumble on a pre 2012 and I've ridden a few of them.

I believe EVERY 2012-2104 (and possibly 15/16 depending on if Honda fixed the mapping) will exhibit the stumble given the right circumstances.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Lewis was adamant that his enhancer does not interfere with the signal from the IAT sensor once the engine is in closed loop.
I asked him how that was possible. I didn't get an engineering type answer that made sense to me. He kept reiterating that at steady throttle the IAT signal will not be adjusted by his enhancer.

It seems to me that since the IAT output signal to the ECM is a constant signal regardless of open or closed loop, the ECM would always get an adjusted signal from the IAT.
Or, does the ECM ignore the IAT signal once in closed loop?
Anyone know?

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page