Stumble on 2014 and newer goldwings - Page 6 - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Guhl Reflash is working very well.

I had it out today for just a little while at 39F and then down to 35F on the way home. Drove around home starting out in first gear and then stopping and taking off in first gear again and shift to second until it got warmed up. Doing that several times. No stumble at all. Drove 14miles and let it cool off a while. Came out and started it and took off and no stumble. Stopped at my son's house for a while and cooled down. Started and took off and no stumble. Stopped several times as it was warming up and no stumble. So i can not get it to stumble anymore.

Before the reflash and after completely warm the transition from off idle to giving it more throttle was not smooth. If you have it you know what i mean.. I thought adjusting the slack out of the cable would fix that but it didn't. The reflash did.

I am very happy with the outcome so far. So much more relaxing. I hope my mpg stays the same as before or increases.

Pathetic that i had to take a practically new bike apart to fix this. Shame on Honda.

Tightened the steering brgs while it was a little easier to get to sort of. Moved the nut quite a bit to get 2-1/2 to 3 lbs of pull on the scale. Torque value made no sense, it was like something was stuck. Not going to worry about that until it is time to replace with new. For now it is better and not too tight.
jprism likes this.

2012 GL1800- 10,000 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Bridgestone G851 Excedra ZR-400 miles so far
Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F- 2900 miles so far

Last edited by Indianawantsme; 12-20-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Guhl reflash still doing well. It is even better after it warms up all the way. It was jerky transitioning from idle to slowly applying more throttle before the reflash and now it is smooth. If you start out in first gear and let the clutch out all the way and have to let off and then give it throttle again it was jerky before the reflash. Thought the cable slack was the problem but wasn't.

Mpg is for sure no worse and will need more tankfuls to get a good average and see how much better.

I had 87 octane in the tank and ran almost half of it the other day and filled up with 3 gal of 89.5 so have about 88.1 octane in the tank now. The knock sensors might be retarding the timing with 87 octane and messing with the mpg. Don Guhl said to use 89 octane and should give the best mpg.

2012 GL1800- 10,000 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Bridgestone G851 Excedra ZR-400 miles so far
Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F- 2900 miles so far
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:51 PM

No more stumble

I have owned 2 2012 GL1800 bikes...

I bought my first one in June of 2011. I heard about the "stumble", but never experienced it. Due to very bad ankle arthritis, I went to a trike in 2013 assuming I would never be on 2 wheels again. After ankle fusion surgery, and a much better than expected recovery, I was ready to go back to 2 wheels. In late 2013 I had the dealer find me the same bike I had before, 2012 Level 3 (white), exactly the same bike I had owned (with a modified heel-toe shifter). This one had the "stumble". Any time between cold (high idle) and COMPLETELY warmed up (needle in middle of guage), she would stumble. I lived with it for quite a while. I watched Honda deny any problem via NHTSA, and it was very disappointing. I dealt with it for a couple years. This and Honda's refusal to upgrade ANYTHING (except colors and price) led to me to another brand. I had hoped Honda would upgrade after Harley raised the standards in 2014, but they didn't. Yes, I am now a Harley owner, and very happy. I bought a 2017 CVO limited. I am very happy with it. I am not bashing the GL1800, It is a great bike, I would rather bash Honda for not keeping up with the competition.

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Dn
Seasoned Member

I wonder if Honda cars have the stumble. It seems to me if the cars don't have it, the motorcycles should not have the stumble either. Electrical connections make a fix but I haven't installed it on my 2012. I guess I was spoiled by my 2002, but it ran much better than my 2012.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

My 2014 Toyota Sienna van certainly has the "stumble"

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dn View Post
Electrical connections make a fix but I haven't installed it on my 2012.
The EC "fix" isn't without issues.
It masks the stumble by artificially fooling the ECM into providing a richer fuel map during open loop cold running.
It does this by adjusting the IAT sensor output through use of an electronic plug in box.
It takes a lot of adjusting of the box to remove the stumble, and then be prepared for the ECM to throw an FI code.
I know this because I tried the EC box and was not happy with the results.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page