Here's the deal.
If you lose something in the reverse circuit, the bike can't tell if you are going forward or backward. This results in the following being unusable:
- Reverse - this was my initial problem. Big Flashing 'R'.
- The GPS - as it cycles between reverse and forward (180 degrees), even at speed.
- Cruse - as it's not usable in reverse and the bike can't which way its going, no cruse, again even at speed.
This is either stupid engineering or stupid government regulation - either way it's stupid.
So I did trace this down. Swapping out parts, testing continuity, taking off the left saddlebag (tedious but not hard - but have a shop manual), and finally testing power to the reverse solenoid.
Well - once I got to that last step, reverse started working again. I noted a great deal of dirt in the plastic shroud around the solenoid activation connections - I mean alot - that "cup" was practically full. I emptied it out, pulled the solenoids off the mounts, checked the connections, and in testing reverse started working.
SOoo ATM, I am claiming dirt resulted in a bad connection for the reverse solenoid. I cleaned everything up with contact cleaner and the bodies around with brake cleaner. Put a dab of dielectric grease in each contact and put the bike back together.
Went for a test ride and everything was working fine. Reverse, Cruse, and GPS - all fine. If I have a re-occurrence, I will replace the solenoid.
Just plain stupid...