Bluetooth Adapter on 2012 - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Here is what I have. I have a sena sm10 bluetooth device that plugs into the stereo through a 5 pin din cable. I can listen to anything over the radio and use the bikes controls for volume, either through the bikes speakers or through my head set, sena smh 10. Works very well. I have an old ipod in the trunk plugged into the usb port so I can listen through aux.
gulfrider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Rufasim, I would like to know more about your setup. Is it the Freewire thing from Sena? Where did you put it and how did you hook it up?
We use the Sena SMH10's also and would like to link with the bike for music instead of having to use our phones.
Thanks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Sorry it took me so long to answer this. I have a 2015 level 3. I keep the sm10 locked in the compartment where the airbag would live. It comes with a stand that allows me to keep it attached to the wall of that compartment. I have the 5 pin din cable constantly hooked up to the head set connector on the bike as well as the sm10. I put a little knotch in the plastic so the cable would not crimp. When I want to listen to music through bluetooth I simply turn on the sm10 and set the controls on the bike to head set so that the music comes into my helmet via the smh 10. The 2 Sena products pair very well together. I also have my phone paired to the smh 10. If I want to listen to a play list on the phone, turn off the radio and have Siri start the play list. Navigation comes through to the helmet. I don't use or have a need for a CB but if I did I have heard good things about the free wire. I just started wearing a 3/4 Sheoi helmet and the speakers on the smh 10 sound very good, well compared to when I was listening to them while wearing a half helmet and a neck curtain with speaker pockets.

I could not be any happier with the set up I have for this. the sm10 bluetooth device stays locked and on the bike, unless charging. I also have a rechargable battery pack that I can use if the sm10 runs out of juice because I forgot to charge it the night before. On long solo trips I take my wifes smh 10 controller and pair all my things to it. That way I have plenty of power for the day. If we are riding together we listen to music over the speakers so that we can have the communicators to talk to each other with.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting work around. I just bought two Sena 20s to replace the SMH10s. Also bought a new iPod because they have Bluetooth now. Going to see if I can do everything I need without using the bike system. I don't have CB or built in GPS anyway.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

I have an old ipod I loaded my music onto and plugged it into the auxiliary cable in the trunk. I can listen to my play list from that instead of the phone through the stereo then into my helmet. If all you want is to listen to your play list than you have the right system. I on the other hand enjoy going for a ride after work and listening to the red sox. I could just listen through the speakers but I prefer to have it playing in my helmet. I can hear it better. Sounds like we each got what we need.
You can plug a gps into the sm10 also if you have a stand alone unit. How are the Sena 20s? I think I am going to have to replace the smh 10's in the near future.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Blueridge, I just did some research on the 20s and it seems that using that unit, you can do all I can do using my system. I did not realize that the 20 s has a built in fm receiver that I could listen to my beloved sox. I use the navigation from the bike so I would still need to have the sm10 but if I had a stand alone unit that was bluetooth compatible, I could pair it to the Sena 20s unit. I am thinking now of getting a single 20s for my wife and/or daughter, who ever is on the back, so they can listen to the radio instead of their playlist, and I can listen to mine through the smh 10. Then I could take the other communicator and charge one while using the other if out for a long ride. I am guessing because both units are from Sena there should be no problem pairing them together so we can communicate also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page