Bluetooth Adapter on 2012 - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Bluetooth Adapter on 2012

I bought a Bluetooth Adapter which I thought when connected to my USB port in the trunk would allow me to connect to my phone and play music over stereo system. My phone connects to the Bluetooth but the music doesn't play over the speakers. Has anyone tried this? The GW is new to me so I could be setting it up wrong. Any thoughts or fixes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
I bought a Bluetooth Adapter which I thought when connected to my USB port in the trunk would allow me to connect to my phone and play music over stereo system. My phone connects to the Bluetooth but the music doesn't play over the speakers. Has anyone tried this? The GW is new to me so I could be setting it up wrong. Any thoughts or fixes.
What kind of adapter did you buy? Most BT "adapters" are transmitters not receivers.

I connect my phone directly to my Sena headset for music. I also have a Sena SM10 to broadcast the bike's audio to the headset. If you want to connect your phone to the bike's audio system, a hard wire is probably your best bet.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Titanium GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Not sure this will help much, but here is what I do on my 2013.

I plug my IPhone cable into the USB port in the trunk, I can play recorded music I have on the phone or listen to PANDORA, provided PANDORA is playing on the phone when I plug it in. I have a BLUETOOTH enabled GPS that handshakes with my phone and the bike's intercom system and I use it through the intercom system for getting routing info or phone calls if needed.

The USB port in the trunk works off of the AUX selection button on the left hand console of the audio system control panel, make sure you have the AUX option selected it will show on the info screen, on mine if I am using just a flash drive, with recorded music, plugged into the USB port, I have to press the AUX button twice to bring the flash drive up, then it works like it was a CD player. Maybe the BLUETOOTH adapter you are using requires two pushes also?

Not sure this helps, but I hope it does a little bit.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what it is. It won't play when I plug my phone into the USB in the trunk either but it does start charging the phone. I've got the"aux " showing with the speaker but no sound comes out. The radio works fine. I didn't pay but about $4 for the Bluetooth so that's no big loss but shouldn't I be able to play pandora thru the system with my phone plugged in back there?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Do you get an I-POD indication on the bike's screen with the phone plugged in? I get that, seems the bike thinks the phone is an I-POD.
Try putting some pre-recorded music on the phone and see what happens.
Mine will play PANDORA but it is a little finicky on doing so, like I said I have to have the phone on and PANDORA selected and playing before I plug it into the bike for it to work. I had tried one time and it did not work, then one day it started playing PANDORA and I was very surprised and happy. Control of PANDORA is limited to listening, no deselecting a track or changing venues from the bike's controls.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
The AUX button is used to switch between two inputs: AUX1 is the 3.5mm audio connection in the front cargo pocket and AUX2 is the USB connector in the trunk. Push the AUX button repeatedly and you should see the difference in the indications on the display screen.
gulfrider likes this.

2015 GL1800/A Audio Comfort, Navi/XM, ABS - Black/Red
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

When mine is connected and I push the aux button it says bt music...the bike had to be running before it's connected even connecting it then starting the bike breaks the connection..I think I paid less than $3 for mine
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Member

I play music from a usb stick stick that I leave always plugged into the usb port.

Seems easier to me than plugging in the phone every time I get on the bike -- especially when travelling, have luggage in the top box and I'm likely to want to check messages, weather etc with the phone during stops.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Thx for all the input. I did get it to play from the USB with some prerecorded songs. I wish all the manuals were written by people like you all. You're so much easier to understand with real experience vs. the manuals. Thx again I have not tried the Bluetooth or phone with bike running that'll be my next trial. Headed on 800 mile trip this afternoon and was hoping the Bluetooth would work so I could listen to pandora and Sirius over speakers from my iPhone. I was a Harley rider for years and just got the GW and am loving it!
Rapidray and gulfrider like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

I see that nobody addressed the original question regarding using a BT dongle with the USB port in the trunk. I don't think it is possible because drivers are required to use the BT dongle. Recent versions of Windows and OSX have built-in drivers which is why you don't need to install them. There is no way to install BT drivers on the wing and there are no BT drivers for the wing's hardware anyway. You can connect a phone by plugging a data cable in to the USB port. You can plug in a USB flash drive in to the USB port. You cannot use a BT dongle as an intermediate to either. Sorry to deliver the bad news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page