To Traxxion or not? - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Seasoned Member

It is a money thing...If money were no object, I believe all would go with the Traxxion setup. We each have our own wallet and must use it as we see fit. To me, it was a no brainer. It is what everybody compares too...that is what I'm getting, if I'm doing anything. I would rather do it once, and do it right, or not waste my time and money. And spend it on gas.
Hoosier Daddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:36 AM
HPJ
Seasoned Member

Great info posted, many thanks to all.

If just replacing front springs, please reply which brand springs you like and why, and also please describe the difference ride quality as best you can.

Also, which brand triple tree, or triple trees, you like and why, and also please describe what changed in handling, and the difference in ride quality please.

Many Thanks.

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Seasoned Member

[QUOTE=HPJ;3995681]Great info posted, many thanks to all.

If just replacing front springs, please reply which brand springs you like and why, and also please describe the difference ride quality as best you can.

I am running Traxxion springs without the Traxxion cartridges and a Traxxion fork brace. The ride is much better than with the stock springs. The front end would bottom out easily with the stock springs.

I feel the small bumps a little more with the Traxxions, but they don't "clang" the handlebars on expansion joints.

Ron
Belton Tx
07 GW ABS
91 BMW K75RT ABS
56 Harley FL ABS on front only

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:36 AM
REH
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8ster View Post
I'm a Newby to this site and to Goldwings, but not riding. (I upgraded from Harley) Over the past 3 or 4 months, this site has beeen a huge help to me on Ideas and how to's... THANKS!😎

Compared to my last 3 Touring Harley's, 05 Road King, 09 Ultra and 2012 Ultra Limited, my 2012 Wing handles like a dream?

Thanks

If you're happy with what you have why spend the money?
Traxxion is no doubt a very good setup but if is right for you and worth the money is only for you to say.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic15136_1.gif

2008 Goldwing
2015 Harley Davidson Limited
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH View Post
If you're happy with what you have why spend the money?
Traxxion is no doubt a very good setup but if is right for you and worth the money is only for you to say.
While my Goldwing is amazing, I have that low speed wobble thing! So, if I'm going to get rid of that, I'd like to know what all my options are. I doubt I'll do the full Traxxion thing... it just doesn't make sense for me. I definitely will be doing All Balls Bearings and better springs. I'm just not sure which springs and if I'm going to do the triple trees. Then the question of whom will I hire to do the work? While I enjoy working on my bikes... this is one area I want someone with a great amount of experience. I just put my bike to bed for the winter on Tuesday... so I have all winter to study and talk to folks to make a good decision. 😎
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I for one am not big on the tapered bearings. I installed them and torqued per Traxxions specs. Way too tight! Just created a different problem of "wandering". Back apart and now torqued to only 10#. MUCH better. Tightening stem bearings just masks an issue that isn't that big a deal. (In my opinion) There is a much simpler and easier solution. Don't let go of the handlebars with both hands when decelerating through the 30-35 mph range. I wouldn't go to the trouble of installing tapered bearings at all, unless they are already installed on the new triple tree as they were on my Traxxion. Also, I would use PMTs if doing it over. I had them for many miles. The AK20s are a little better but not much over the PMTs, and cost substantially more. Just my 2 cents (but costs a lot more than that!)

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:39 PM
REH
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8ster View Post
While my Goldwing is amazing, I have that low speed wobble thing! So, if I'm going to get rid of that, I'd like to know what all my options are. I doubt I'll do the full Traxxion thing... it just doesn't make sense for me. I definitely will be doing All Balls Bearings and better springs. I'm just not sure which springs and if I'm going to do the triple trees. Then the question of whom will I hire to do the work? While I enjoy working on my bikes... this is one area I want someone with a great amount of experience. I just put my bike to bed for the winter on Tuesday... so I have all winter to study and talk to folks to make a good decision. 😎
I've had 2-1800's and the only time I had a wobble new tires corrected it.

I personally tried Traxxion front springs, Hyperpro front springs, Progressive Monotubes.

For the front I liked the Monotubes the best with a Traxxion triple tree with all balls bearings.

For the rear I installed a Progressive spring.

Your experience may vary, Good Luck with your choice
h8ster likes this.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic15136_1.gif

2008 Goldwing
2015 Harley Davidson Limited
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:39 PM

Garage
Hey guys! Great thread with lots of info. Love this place. I have a 2010 w/abs I bought it a year ago. It already had the full Monty installed and I'm pretty close to the same weight as the first owner. I rode my 2001 electraglide to go see the bike. The owner was an awesome guy who I have become friends with. Anyway. I test rode the bike and couldn't believe the way it handled. My good friend went with me on his 2005. Stock suspension. He asked me how it rode. So I wanted his opinion so we switched. That's when I was sold on Traxxion. 15 months later and 7,000 miles later, I find myself ridding like I'm 22 and on a crotchrocket. The more I ride the funner it gets. If you can afford the Traxxion and the adrenaline rush, I highly recommend it. Speed safe brothers!
Hoosier Daddy and h8ster like this.

No good deed goes unpunished!
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:48 AM
Seasoned Member

My bike came with the full monty traxxion. The front end was showing signs of bushing wear but was told the repair was gonna require special tools and knowledge and money beyond a normal bushing replacement job, which I have done on previous bikes. I decided to remove the entire shocks and went back to OEM. Glad I did, my ride improved significantly. I'm pretty sure the Honda engineers with trillion dollar budgets and a thousand years of bike building have it figured out. Sure you have guys here preaching that your life will improve beyond your wildest dreams because of a suspension upgrade but do you really need it beyond the OEM?? .......no.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kru68 View Post
15 months later and 7,000 miles later, I find myself ridding like I'm 22 and on a crotchrocket. The more I ride the funner it gets. If you can afford the Traxxion and the adrenaline rush, I highly recommend it. Speed safe brothers!
I did forget to share that one part about it being better for certain riders, but that it would be no benefit to others. That it would be based on riding preference. I myself can get very aggressive when riding and found the stock suspension doing what others described as wallowing. My friend says he rides 'Grampa' style and would never notice any difference and that it would be a waste of money. I agree, no 2 people are the same and each one must decide what is best for them. I also agree that riding an altered/upgraded/accessorized bike before spending a dime would be the best. A test (don't try this) I learned long ago was a 55 mph run down a deserted road slaloming the dotted line in the center of the road. I know, I know, dangerous ( again, don't do this). The old dirt bikes were a no brainer, but as I transitioned to road bikes it became clear what weight and suspension setup does for maneuverability. I believe I made the right choice for me, and don't look back. I'm thankful the upgrade exists at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page