To Traxxion or not? - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Another very happy traxxion owner here as well. I spent thousands trying to fix my 2014. I've owned 6 wings from 2001 on and they all suffer the same issues. Wobble, premature wear on the tires, low and high speed handling. While the do well from the factory they are terribly under sprung. That causes a multitude of issues. When I was first looking into it I did the PMT setup and that was way to firm. They didnt' have different spring rates (not sure if they do now) and they couldn't be changed as they were part of the assembly which means if you don't like it, well that's all you get. I rode a RaceTech bike and it wasn't bad but after having the full Traxxion setup it was by and large way better. The RaceTech setup also takes some trial and error with different valving and springs, which means usually multiple teardowns. I dumped over $6000 with all the different setups and the full monty is the real deal. If fixes all the shortcomings and then some, and it's adjustable.

The bike is well under sprung from the factory. I did some SAG measurements on mine stock and out of the about 4.5" of travel you get the bike would consume almost 2/3 of that under it's own weight. If you don't believe me just put a zip tie on the fork tube up on the center stand. Then drop the bike down under it's full weight. Measure before and after. Then measure again once you sit on it. you'll see that under the bike's and your weight the suspension consumes over 3" of the available 4.5" of travel. This means your riding on the bottom part of the spring and most of what the suspension is supposed to do it can't do because the range you need along with rebound and dampening are severally limited in this state. The suspension is a huge part of what keeps you planted to the road. You also get about an extra 1" of ground clearance as the bike rides higher due to the correct spring rates. They also move the forks up 10mm in the triple tree speeding up the steering and make the turn in sharper and more precise that along with the correct spring in the rear keeps the geometry where it should be to allow for proper handling. This means you can precisely place the bike exactly where you want it.

The all balls bearings helped a ton with low speed moves making the steering light and giving it a really nice feel moving around parking lots for example. The heavier triple trees solidify the front end as well along with the fork brace.

Everyone that has ridden mine said it was bar far the best they've ever ridden. it rides better on the interstate, better in the corners, better 2up and loaded. it truly is a significant upgrade to what comes stock. Just consider this, the anti dive system stock when you tap the rear brake locks the left front fork tube. At what point does it ever sound like a good idea to lock the suspension up?

Traxxion's motto says it all "the best you've ridden is the best you know" until you ride the best you won't fully understand or appreciate what a really good fully working suspension does for you. It's more stable, rides better, handles better, stops better, is more safe because you have more control and it doesn't wear out tires as fast. I was getting over 15,000 miles out of my rear vs 8-10k out of the stock suspension. No more wobble, no more tire cupping (famous on the wing) no more running over 40psi in the tires running them like bricks to keep them from cupping and wearing out.

If you have the money it's a no brainer...

Last edited by PhantomX; 01-28-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Phantom

I could have plagiarize your post in 2005 when I Traxxionized my Wing and still be telling the truth.

...in other words, I would not have 'mis-spoken' like Hillary
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing fan View Post
Up to you if you got the cash go for it if you want a nice cheap improvement I would put in heavy duty springs TRAX PROG RACE TEC ect with ALLBALLS head bearings and disable the anti dive this should give you a nice ride without breaking the bank

What about the "Super Brace"&"Helibars" added to your suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWING View Post
What about the "Super Brace"&"Helibars" added to your suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no experience with the helibars as I like the stock steering set up but people here who have got them love them The super brace is a good improvement if you don t have a beefier stronger lower tree now that I have the stronger lower tree I took the brace off you don t need it if I had to do it again I would have brought the billet upper and lower tree but I am happy with my current set up at the moment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page