To Traxxion or not? - GL1800Riders
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Cool To Traxxion or not?

I'm a Newby to this site and to Goldwings, but not riding. (I upgraded from Harley) Over the past 3 or 4 months, this site has beeen a huge help to me on Ideas and how to's... THANKS!😎

I've also read a lot of bits and pieces about suspension, slow wobble, diving front end... Traxxion! Compared to my last 3 Touring Harley's, 05 Road King, 09 Ultra and 2012 Ultra Limited, my 2012 Wing handles like a dream? I do have that slow speed wobble that's similar to loose neck bearings I had on my Harley's when weighted down. I'm not a super aggressive driver but I like my Twisties. Living in North Central WI, twisties are more of sweepies! I do get to the Western part of the State often (better Sweepie's) and generally get a Big trip in once per year. I ride about 10k miles per year.

I would love to get rid of the slow wobble and improve handling, but at cost of $2500 to $3500.00, I would be interested in knowing:

1) should I Traxxion or Not? (Based on my riding)
2) should I do the complete Traxxion or just part?
3) Alternatives to Traxxion?
4) Who in Wisconsin knows how to do install well! (I noticed people with issues after doing Traxxion because of poor work)

Thanks
kru68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Seasoned Member

I had the Traxxion cartridges, springs and fork brace added to my trike and I can tell you I thought it was the difference between daylight and dark. If I were to buy a current model Wiing I would be at Traxxion pronto getting the mega setup installed. Keep in mind I live and ride in the twisties so handling is important to me.

Are there other setups equally good. Can't answer that. But, I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and how much you want to improve your bike. YMMV.

If possible, maybe someone near you with the Traxxion equipment would let you test drive their rig. BTW, IMO, installation of Traxxion gear requires machining in the left fork and only authorized installers are authorized to do the work if you want to maintain the Traxxion warranty.

Good luck sorting through this decision.
h8ster likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
If you have the cash, Yes and go the full Monty route. I have the Buckskin billet aluminum tree with the Progressive Mono-tubes, anti-dive disabled, stock rear spring and shock - because I only tour solo, I pack light, and the '12 spring is sufficient for me - 185lbs + 60lbs of gear. I really like the handling of my bike........however, I have had the pleasure of riding a full monty, properly set-up wing in the twistes and it was a couple of notches better than my bike's set-up.......my opinion.

May I pass you? I've got a Harley chasing me!!! #1378
2012 Gold Wing Level 4

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8ster View Post
I'm a Newby to this site and to Goldwings, but not riding. (I upgraded from Harley) Over the past 3 or 4 months, this site has beeen a huge help to me on Ideas and how to's... THANKS!😎

I've also read a lot of bits and pieces about suspension, slow wobble, diving front end... Traxxion! Compared to my last 3 Touring Harley's, 05 Road King, 09 Ultra and 2012 Ultra Limited, my 2012 Wing handles like a dream? I do have that slow speed wobble that's similar to loose neck bearings I had on my Harley's when weighted down. I'm not a super aggressive driver but I like my Twisties. Living in North Central WI, twisties are more of sweepies! I do get to the Western part of the State often (better Sweepie's) and generally get a Big trip in once per year. I ride about 10k miles per year.

I would love to get rid of the slow wobble and improve handling, but at cost of $2500 to $3500.00, I would be interested in knowing:

1) should I Traxxion or Not? (Based on my riding)
2) should I do the complete Traxxion or just part?
3) Alternatives to Traxxion?
4) Who in Wisconsin knows how to do install well! (I noticed people with issues after doing Traxxion because of poor work)

Thanks
If you got cash to burn traxxion is way to go . If you want a good quality suspension upgrade without emptying your pocket look into race tech . I have ran this setup and have tweeted it to my liking after a couple of tries only because I am a bit not worked right in my head . I have ridden , tore apart , and seen for myself all the different suspesion upgrades . If you want a real installer with real knowledge and real common sense contact Glen at Midnight Motorcycle in Mn. He is the man . I did not use him but have spent hours face to face in the shop having him explain the differences in set ups to me which he installed all of them . I can also guide you through the process of picking . PM me for my home number and set aside a hour and we can chat . All ,,well most setups have their pros and cons . I choose race tech and have zero regrets . And yes installers are not all created the same . BTW if ya wanna ride my bike and see for yourself it's cool with me . But please if you crash make sure it's damage is over 5 k as that will insure me getting a new one and not fixed
It's snowing today , so today would be perfect
Rail

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Just about anything you can do for a stock suspension will give you some improvement in how the bike handles!!

I put Traxxion on my 2008 Wing when it had 100,000 miles. This was after running it for about 40,000 with Progressive springs, front and rear. The Progressive upgrade was significantly better than stock. But I had to admit, the Traxxion setup is better in so many ways.

That bike was taken out by a deer at 148,000 miles. The first thing I did with the new 2014 Wing was install Traxxion. It now has 50,000 miles. For the way I like to ride in the Ozarks, it is the prefect setup for me.

Information on my installer is in my signature. Paul also does great work!!

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 AM
Seasoned Member

I would suggest the Traxxion triple tree and a set of Progressive fork springs first, and be sure the rear shock actuator is topped off. You're likely to be thrilled with that, and you won't be out too much money.
THEWING, h8ster and Crookster like this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoop57 View Post
I would suggest the Traxxion triple tree and a set of Progressive fork springs first, and be sure the rear shock actuator is topped off. You're likely to be thrilled with that, and you won't be out too much money.
I would agree with this.
It will likely solve your issue and if you want more, you can just add the rest.

Also, both Traxxion and Race Tech sell springs as well.

My front end is Traxxion springs, upper / lower tree and ADV disabled and I'm very happy with it. Total cost of about $600 in parts. Install and consumable parts probably another 300-450 depending on if you need new bushings or not.
h8ster likes this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Seasoned Member

I went with Progressive Monotubes first. The first generation of PMTs had a few problems. I then went with full Traxxion front end about 8,000 mikes ago. I would NOT spend the extra for the AK20s. If I knew what I do now, I would install a beefed up triple tree from one of the various suppliers, and install the latest Gen 3 PMTs from Progressive. They have life time warranty and even the difference between the Gen2 PMTs I had and the Traxxion AK20s just isn't much at all. Certainly not worth the increased cost. Just my opinion but I would not spend the money I did again with so little noticeable difference.
The PMTs alone made a HUGE improvement in the ride quality. That's the cheapest way to start other than only springs.
edmKC and h8ster like this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Up to you if you got the cash go for it if you want a nice cheap improvement I would put in heavy duty springs TRAX PROG RACE TEC ect with ALLBALLS head bearings and disable the anti dive this should give you a nice ride without breaking the bank
THEWING and h8ster like this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Talking Your money

I did a 2000 mile ride to Mt. Rushmore with the bike stock in 2015. I learned first hand of the suspension WOLLOW'ing (softness) that others described and used my money to improve my bike. I did all the Traxxion items recommended by them along with a set of HELI bars and a windbender windscreen. I did a 3300 mile 8 day ride to Glacier/Yellowstone/Wingding this summer and could easily have doubled that trip without issue. The change in my mind is that much better. Now, it is YOUR money, and you spend it how you wish, but, you will not regret the investment if you so choose to do it. I sent my forks to Traxxion for the upgrade, and did the rest of the install myself; tree/Rshock/bars/windshield/heated grips/ground connection clean/air filter/coolant hose clamp tightening, kind of thing. Riding N-Wisc frequently, I am more confident in corning on all those tar snakes they put down over there with my now better bike. You don't have to be a total hot rod to benefit from the Traxxion stuff, but you can become one...
THEWING and h8ster like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page