Heated grips are kaput - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Heated grips are kaput

Put on the Helibar LST risers, most happy. Now the grip and seat heaters are not working.
I checked the plugs and fuses and all are OK. Replaced fuse just to be sure.
Where else should I check?

Sorry. This is on a 2016 GL1800.

Tim

Phoenix, Az.

2016 GL1800

Last edited by ATDRS; 01-08-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:34 PM
DSI Keeper

Garage
They worked before installing the Heli-bars and now they don't? Try turning off the grip heaters and see if your seat heaters work. If they work then the controller should be ok. Since the most stress would be the left grip from the Heli-bar installation, I would focus my attention to that first. BTW, that grip is about $160. I just installed one on my 2014.

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Under the "what it's worth" category, if my grip heater failed I would just replace both grip heaters with Electrical Connections grip heater system. http://electricalconnection.com/inde...ated-grip-kit/

You've got to pull the dang grip off to replace the element anyway - might as well replace it with a much better unit. No, the little dial on the dash for the grip heater will no longer control the heat. Yes - the new grip heater gets much hotter, the little control knob is easy to place in a variety of locations - and best of all - it's cheaper.

I installed this unit on my O2 after Gramps @Grampawinger used to tease me about how nice his heated grips were as we were riding in Michigan fall/winter weather. Man - I wish I had done it years earlier - made that much of a difference. I had Kury Iso-grips on the bike, and still never ran them at full - even when riding in the snow and sleet - they are that good.
Grampawinger likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Seasoned Member

FWIW, we find the heaters on the newer bikes are much more effective than the first generation heaters.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Seasoned Member

A 2016 should be under warranty..see dealer.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Fifty View Post
A 2016 should be under warranty..see dealer.
No warranty as I must have damaged the grip when I removed it.
Neither the grips nor the seat work now and they were both fine prior to the riser kit install.

Tim

Phoenix, Az.

2016 GL1800
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
Under the "what it's worth" category, if my grip heater failed I would just replace both grip heaters with Electrical Connections grip heater system. http://electricalconnection.com/inde...ated-grip-kit/

You've got to pull the dang grip off to replace the element anyway - might as well replace it with a much better unit. No, the little dial on the dash for the grip heater will no longer control the heat. Yes - the new grip heater gets much hotter, the little control knob is easy to place in a variety of locations - and best of all - it's cheaper.

I installed this unit on my O2 after Gramps @Grampawinger used to tease me about how nice his heated grips were as we were riding in Michigan fall/winter weather. Man - I wish I had done it years earlier - made that much of a difference. I had Kury Iso-grips on the bike, and still never ran them at full - even when riding in the snow and sleet - they are that good.
Thank you . I like EC's gear also but I'm wanting to stay with OEM this time.

Tim

Phoenix, Az.

2016 GL1800
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDRS View Post
No warranty as I must have damaged the grip when I removed it.
Neither the grips nor the seat work now and they were both fine prior to the riser kit install.

the entire system won't work if it senses a fault - however the individual sections (front seat, rear seat, grips) will work if they are operational. In other words - as Murgie said - try just the seat heater (front or rear) and see if it works. If so - system works. Now turn on grip heaters - if they don't work and the seat stops working - then you found the problem *well, at least the section. Then you can figure out what happened. Probable pulled/crimped wire, if you get lucky may be able to find the bad section visually.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
DSI Keeper

Garage
If the cables weren't over stretched or broken internally, most likely you broke the heater element when you were either removing or putting the grip on the bar. Under the rubber, the heater elements are quite fragile:

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Just in case it is not obvious to the OP, when you're testing to see if the seat heat works without the grips turned on, you need to turn the grips off and then turn off power to the bike (turn the key off). In other words, once the bike notices any problem with any part of the heated gear, it shuts it all down until you cycle the power to the bike.

Good luck.

2015 GL1800/A Audio Comfort, Navi/XM, ABS - Black/Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page