hitch recommendations - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

I called a dealer when I was looking to buy a hitch and asked their advice. They said if it's a light trailer any of them will be fine, if it's a heavy trailer they only recommended Bushtec hitch. I only wanted to install the best so I went Bushtec, never regretted it.

St. Joseph, MO
2012 White Gold Wing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

i appreciate all of the replies .. thank you all
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Member

If you don't mind used, check with trike dealers. They usually will have a hitch of some sort. So far, I have found them for $125.00. I am on my 2nd bike, with hitch, and both times, Bushtec is what I used. If I need a third hitch, it will be a Bushtec. You will also need an isolator. My first came with the hitch, my second I bought from Bushtec. Depending on the trailer you get, you may need a 5-to-4 converter. Read the trailer board, and ask questions, there is a lot of help available to you.
scott.beyer.94 likes this.

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
i have a rivco. so far i like it.

Steve Smith
www.thatsmithguy.com
facebook.com/thatsmithguysteve
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Bushtec, Rivco, and Add On all mount to frame. Others (Kury, et al) mount to sub frame, avoid them.

Bushtec & Add On are a vertical receiver behind & under the fender. Rivco is a horizontal receiver through the fender. Player's choice, either approach is fine. 2012+ GL has a fender that sticks out a bit further and requires a longer ball mount than 2010 and <, i.e. further back from wheel just to clear the plastic. Physics works against it. Not too big a deal. Length of ball mount is only different between model years in Bushtec <=2010 vs. 2012+.

The Bushtec vertical receiver is semi standard and you can find aftermarket options if you need them, e.g. Curt. I think the Rivco is more custom so harder to find. Though not as if you'll be buying a ton of ball mounts.

Bushtec seems to be the standard. Rivco is fine. Add On seems to be the dark horse, less expensive, still frame mounted. Pick your poison. No reason to get inferior mounting approach of Kury, ShowChrome, etc.

Pin vs. ball mount needs to match your trailer. If you don't know, get ball. Only reason for pin is if you have a Bushtec pin mount trainer. You can exchange pin for ball later.

Bushtec deluxe adds mud flap. Not a bad idea. You can hack one if you're handy and cheap.

+1 to isolator. If you have a Tailwind trailer, it already has one on board so bike side is nice but redundant. Otherwise, it is very nice and prevents trailer wiring problem from frying bike harness. There's no connection between isolator and harness, so buy whatever. Bushtec is decent. Electrical Connection is another well regarded one. Get one with a pin out that matches your trailer. If unknown, 4 pin is common but 5 or 6 pin (with adapter to 4 as needed) is most flexible.

Tow wisely. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Geez, this TV show my wife is watching sure is boring.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Seasoned Member

I have the add on one no issues with it
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I too, installed the Add-On with my 2013 F6B. I liked that it was completely hidden, and I got the proper adapter for my Uni-Go. I was a little put off by the 30lb. maximum tongue weight limit... sounds kinda weak to me, but after installing it (a bit of a task - thank god for Motorcycle Lifts), it seems quite stout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View From Under.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	171929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uni-Go Hitch Installed.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	171937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Ball and Uni-Go.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	570.4 KB
ID:	171945  

2013 Honda F6B
2003 Honda ST1100P
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

anyone have a picture of a bushtec hitch installed. i want to see how the bike looks with it on it 2012+

Last edited by RIOT; 02-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
It looks the same. You can't see it with the ball mount removed from the vertical receiver that's behind the fender.

If you put the ball mount in, it looks like a little ball mount sticking out from beneath the fender.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOT View Post
anyone have a picture of a bushtec hitch installed. i want to see how the bike looks with it on it 2012+

Bushtec on a 2012.. I trimmed the rear center fender section and drilled another hole in the flat chrome piece to move the ball as far forward as possible. This flat piece is a lot longer on the 2012 and newer resulting more leverage by the trailer adversely affecting the handling. 30# tongue weight results in quite a few more actual punks beating added to the rear of the 2012+ than the hitches on the earlier models. Didn't help us with heavy trailers at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page