post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

No tools.

Cell phone
Roadside Assistance card
Warranty card
water/snacks

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin558 View Post
When you go on a trip what tools do you bring along?
Compact air compressor, flat tire repair kit, Leatherman multi tool.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Seasoned Member

AAA card, credit card, and a cell phone. I can do light maintenance on the bike but that is about it.
TramperKen likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
I have an air compressor, tire patch kit, and your basic sockets and such. But the most important tools, for me at least, is my cell phone and credit card. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, and even if I was.....I just can't picture myself tearing my bike apart along side a highway in Utah when the temp is 105. So unless it's something VERY simple, like a low beam headlight, I'm making a phone call. I admire those of you who can perform such work, but I'm afraid I don't possess those talents.
I think it is too often assumed with these threads about carrying tools means making repairs, or always having to do major work to the bike.

Over the years, I have never needed to do anything major, but I have still often been saved by my tools. It's like a First Aid kit, but for a bike. A first aid kit doesn't help much when you really need a doctor or EMT, but it is usually all you need.

1. My Zumo 550 locked up for no good reason once on a trip. The owners manual suggestion was to pull the battery and let the unit reset. But the battery compartment has an allen head screw. Thank goodness I had my tools.
2. I was doing a quick check on the bike one morning at a hotel. When I grabbed the antenna mast, it pulled right out. I was able to reinsert it and tighten the set screw.
3. I had a foglight bot come loose once. Also my Butler mug holder pivot bolt loosened, and a couple of other bolts I can remember.
4. My wife's headset became intermittent. I carry a travel size can of WD40. Sprayed it and it was fixed.
5. Broke a throttle cable on my previous bike. I was able to grab the broken end with vise grips and tape the vise grips to the hand grip and make it home.

Countless little other things. I have needed to use cable ties and electrical tape to jury rig various broken and loose items on previous bikes. All of them were minor, stupid problems.

Having basic tools and supplies can be the difference between a minor problem turning a trip into a disaster, or turning it into something to chuckle about years later. A credit card and towing package is great for a major breakdown. But they don't help much with the little problems in life.

Just something to think about.
Big_Bird likes this.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

I have to agree with Larry. My kit is similar, I am not going to do an engine rebuild but fix the small stuff that happens along the way. Due to my location all of my trips start and end with a thousand miles of wilderness with little or no cell service so that AAA or other card is near useless. I hardly ever needed the tools for my Wings but have used them numerous times helping out my traveling companions or folks I have encountered along the way.

2010 GL1800 Mine
2009 KLR650 Mine
2009 Rollahome
2009 XR650L Hers
1996 GL1500 Hers
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Simple

I try to keep it simple:
1) Honda tool kit that comes with bike
2) GWRRA Gold Book (help whenever you need it from other GWRRA members across the world)
3) Charged up Cell phone

Want to add an air compressor and tire plug kit yet. 3/4 millon miles on motorcycles and haven't needed anything else. I don't ride in the boonies so haven't had a cell phone problem. In fact, I'm not sure if my Wing will run on gravel roads or not. Tool kit should be appropriate for how and where you ride is all I'm saying.

Last edited by Canyon Dancer in Colorado; 03-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page