tools - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

tools

When you go on a trip what tools do you bring along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Bunch compared to some ! Have helmet bag i put tools in and have 2 square plastic peanut jars i fill with tools sockets / wrenches etc. Can do pretty much all needed . Have breaker bar ratchet(it extends ) for changing wheels - bring some connectors / wire/ tape tester . Had to use on last trip when lost trailer lites. Ya wing dependable but nothing would pizz me off more than needing an 8 mil socket to keep me going and know its sitting on bench at shop. Lots places i've been no people- no phone - no nothing but me. So far so good . The 2 sq jars fit side by side in back part of bag by tail lites and put helmet bag in bottom of bag . = works for me.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Member

There's some good info in this thread I started a short time ago. I was carrying tools in two large peanut butter jars, but have put all those tools into two ammo containers I bought at Harbor Freight for about $5 each.

Allen

What tools and how do you carry them

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Last edited by roadrunner1800; 03-07-2017 at 12:54 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I bought a Cruztools large kit and added a few things to it I felt it needed, like zip ties, razor knife, electrical tape, safety wire. Being a mechanic by trade I would rather have tools and not need them then need them and not have them. In all my years of riding I have only ever needed my tools once, a razor knife to get rope untangled from the rear wheel/hub....don't ask!

2015 Honda Goldwing F6B Deluxe in blue (the coolest color)
Garmin Zumo 595
Helibars
Madstad windshield system
Hartco custom seat
Rivco Aero pegs
Muth turn signal mirrors
Custom "tour pack" trunk by Kawasaki

Darkside #780 running Toyo Proxes A27 185/60-16
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:09 AM
Seasoned Member

My tool kit lives in the left saddlebag in a plastic WallyWorld container from the housewares dept. it includes:

10mm box/open end wrench
8,10,11(7/16")12,14mm open/ratchet wrenches
8,10,12,14,17,19,spark plug sockets (all deep)
set of Allen sockets
Extensions and ratchets (1/2" drive is 2" for rear wheel)
screwdrivers, straight and Phillips
utility knife
flashlight
electrical crimp tool
electrical tape
needle nose pliers with side cutter
vice grips

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/2xj6tmdy1...qjKQDL3WIY0t0a
Weege likes this.

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]

Last edited by revrunt; 03-01-2017 at 01:25 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a canvas bag about 4"x10"x10" packed FULL of all wrenches up to 17 or 19mm and full socket set with 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet. Pliers and screwdriver with multiple bits. Also some heavy cord and plastic zip ties. Goes in right saddle bag. Spare alternator and the "unique" Harbor Freight swivel ratchet to remove/install alternator in left saddle bag. When on long trips, large torque wrench and deep socket (remove rear wheel) go along. Small air compressor and tire plugs and small "power supply" to jump start a vehicle or charge USB devices while camping are in the rear trunk. Also a first aid kit. "Knock on wood"....I have 106,000 miles on my Wing and have never had to use any of this on my Wing (except black tape and plastic ties) but have frequently helped others out that had NOTHING with them. It does amaze me how many have nothing in the trunks but a jacket.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a few rules with onboard tools.

1. It must not take up valuable storage space.
2. It has to take into account any accessories, which means a combination of metric and SAE tools.
3. I'm not going to spend much money. $0 is preferred.
4. I'm not going to carry Snap-On tools on the bike, but the tools must at least be reasonably usable.
5. I am not going to do major repairs on a trip. My goal is to be able to fix minor problems, or McGyver something together when needed. I have no intention to change a tire on the side of the road, or replace a bad alternator in a hotel parking lot.
6. The tools must be compact, to reduce storage space.

Below is a pic of my tool bag. It is an old shaving bag that holds everything except the meter, and it fits in the cubby hole in the trunk, on top of the CB. This is an old pic. It has changed slightly. I now carry a digital tire pressure gauge, and I added electrical tape and a couple of other generic supplies. The whole thing was built from spare tools that were in storage. I even kept a few wrenches from the original Honda kit that I felt were usable.

I hate L keys for large Allen head bolts, so I carry some Allen sockets. I still carry Allen keys for the smaller screws.

I was fortunate to have some Xcylite Series 99 field service tools. The master handles and separate driver shafts makes them compact and highly usable, without the risk of losing tiny hex bits.

The tool bag is on the bike at all times, but the meter is only on board for long trips. I do not carry full sets of wrenches and sockets. Everything is based on the hardware the bike actually has.

Not shown in the pic is my Slime air compressor and tire plug kit. The compressor has a Powerlet plug that plugs into a port I installed in the battery side cover.

Whisper Jet likes this.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 03-01-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

I do not intend to preform open-heart surgery on my Wing when away from home.
I carry the much criticised oem tool kit.
Duct and automotive tape.
A multi pocket knife tool.
Some zip ties.
A stop and go puncture kit with extra bottles of CO2.
Tyre pressure gauge.
Small 12v light that plugs into the battery charger pig-tail.
My AA anytime anywhere assistance card.
I cart this in the c-b radio locker.

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Be sure to always have a 6mm allen wrench, I use one of the T-handle type, in order to remove the seat. It seems like more often than not, when you have a problem, the seat needs to come off to make the fix.
LarryM likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

I have an air compressor, tire patch kit, and your basic sockets and such. But the most important tools, for me at least, is my cell phone and credit card. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, and even if I was.....I just can't picture myself tearing my bike apart along side a highway in Utah when the temp is 105. So unless it's something VERY simple, like a low beam headlight, I'm making a phone call. I admire those of you who can perform such work, but I'm afraid I don't possess those talents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page