2013 ABS- Got water on my CB and appeared to short it out. - GL1800Riders
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ssncob
  • 2 Post By Mayor Hal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

2013 ABS- Got water on my CB and appeared to short it out.

Long time lurker..no post... New to the 1800 Owners group, but had a 1200 Aspy and a '99 SE...Many of smiles on those two and looking for as many or more on my New-to-me used 1800.

I'm sure the info is out there somewhere but I guess I didn't put the correct incantations in the search engine to yield a answer...at least that I noticed.

I got water in the lower part of my trunk. The 20A fuse blew that carried the Audio, flashers, CB... I disconnected the Audio and CB unit and the fuse didn't blow. I connected back the Audio, the fuse didn't blow. When I connected back the CB,the fuse blew. Therefore, I concluded it was the CB unit at the bottom of the trunk where the little bit of water had gotten causing the problem. Yes, all things to the best of my knowledge was working just fine before the water spillage.

I can get a "free" pre-2012 CB and the "adapter harness". Is there that much difference that I should worry about between the 2013 CB and the Pre-2012 CB? In my opinion if it works as good, I don't have a problem with it being an older CB.

...and, has anyone got any experience in adding a drain to that audio/cb box in the lower area of the trunk so this problem shouldn't happen again.

Thanks for reading..and your help.
GaryB

-garyb
"Bubba"
Starkville, MS
2013 1800 ABS
1999 1500SE
1986 1200 Aspy

Last edited by GaryB; 03-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Welcome to the forum, and yes, once you get the proper adapter harness the older versions of the CB will work with your model year.

As to drains, Drill a hole in the back left corner of the cb cubby (as viewed from above). Install a short piece of rubber hose, silicone seal around the mounting hole. Use a short piece of hose to prevent water from splashing up into the hole, use the back left corner to allow for proper drainage when the bike is on the sidestand.
GaryB likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

I agree with ssncob, also try not to carry any liquid in the trunk at all as that is exactly where it will go. Also if you send your old unit in to Sierra Electronics, they will give an estimate to perhaps repair it! Good luck with both units!
WingWing and GaryB like this.

Florida Prowler #23
DS#933 - 100,000 (smiles)
2008 Pearl White GL1800A Canada
2012 Pearl White GL1800A USA
ATGATT
All The Gear All The Time

Keep the shiny side up!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate your responses!!

-garyb
"Bubba"
Starkville, MS
2013 1800 ABS
1999 1500SE
1986 1200 Aspy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Same thing happened to me. Had a water bottle leak out. File a claim on my insurance and the paid.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

2009 Honda Goldwing ABS
Darkside #1209
LIMNCS #153
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Here's the trunk support braces I purchased (although I haven't installed them yet): http://www.wingriderproducts.com/

2015 GL1800/A Audio Comfort, Navi/XM, ABS - Black/Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page