Fram filter okay? - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Fram filter okay?

Is a PH6017A Fram filter okay for a 2012 Goldwing? Wanted a Purolator but Walmart no longer carries them. Using T4 Rotella / Shell oil. How many quarts of oil (I know I could look this up but as long as I am on the subject)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

4qts, it comes in a 1 gal container, Fram is ok..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

I used a Fram once and it was not correctly sized for my filter wrench when I wanted to remove it. A tad small. Had to jab a screwdriver into it and twist it off that way. Yes, I hand tightened it. No, I won't buy another one just because of that. Yes I know I could also just get another kind of filter wrench.

Darkside #69

Ironbutt #8045

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 PM
DSI Keeper

Garage
Another Wal-Mart option is the ST6607. I know many dissed at them but after I dissected one, I don't see any reason not to use them. I bought 4 more my next trip there:

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Funny you should ask this question today - I just changed my oil this afternoon - and yep - used the very same filter you just asked about.
I don't have all that much mileage on the bike, only 110,000 smiles. Changed the oil to get ready to putting on 2500 more smiles next week.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Seasoned Member

I use Fram PH6607 on my 07, Not a coincidence that Super Tech, pn# is ST6607, NAPA pn# with a five in front of it & that is a WIX PN#, Wix makes NAPA . & most all filters are made with Dupont media. and most filters are made out of USA. & it's all good..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Here's a pic of said oil filter - with a bit of weepage that occurred after a pretty hard hit on the belly pan from a road construction incident about 4000 miles ago. Bent the belly pan, but the engine was still intact Took the pic after straightening out the pan.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170308_095100011.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	180185  

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Might be a fun "SEARCH" project on this forum for someone, as there are many photo's of damage to; filters, coolant bottles, engine's and belly pan's on the forum, and put them on a "STICKY", all on the same thread!!!

I have a couple photo's posted where my the belly pan got hit by what it looked to be a bolt and it hit it right where the drain plug was, and knocked it so hard it lost it's torque, and the drain plug came loose and was leaking oil.
Art H. likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 AM
Contributing Member

Purolator filters are sold at Advance Auto Parts stores. Pure One, PL14612 & PL14610, ones a long one, can't remember which is which. They are rated far superior to a lot of others. Here's some good reading for on a Tablet or Pc .... https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html ......
https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html /////// Personally I use T6 & a Purolator,,, the Wing shifts like a jap bike should with this oil.
Happytrails and Bluecyclone like this.

Being blacked out, I spend no money on chrome !!

2014 AB Hannigan Gen II Trike, Aux Fuel, Full SoCal LED's, HeliBars, Klock Werks, etc etc.
1981 CB900C Loaded / for sale too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Amazon also sells Purolator filters and free shipping with prime membership. Was running a bigger filter but have gone back to a regular size. From what I've read Fram would be the very last choice for a filter. Purolator or Wix would be worth looking for. Most auto part stores have em.
Big_Bird likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page