Road in the dark this morning for first time in a while now I have a question - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Road in the dark this morning for first time in a while now I have a question

So I road to work this morning in the dark and noticed that the four buttons ( SET UP, INFO, TRIP AND DIM) under the LCD display on my 2013 GL audio/comfort were not lit up like the other controls. It has been a good while since I road in the dark and now can not recall if those were ever lit up.

Any help on this?

Oh, for anyone wondering, the button that says DIM, it dims the LCD display, I only ever used it to go to the next screen, who knew?

Thanks

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M61A1MECH View Post
So I road to work this morning in the dark and noticed that the four buttons ( SET UP, INFO, TRIP AND DIM) under the LCD display on my 2013 GL audio/comfort were not lit up like the other controls. It has been a good while since I road in the dark and now can not recall if those were ever lit up.

Any help on this?

Oh, for anyone wondering, the button that says DIM, it dims the LCD display, I only ever used it to go to the next screen, who knew?

Thanks
That DIM button will also dim the panel light in the speedo and tach, so it may also dim the other light as well...on my 2008, if you hold in the DIM button, it will also switch between day and night mode on the GPS screen

2008-HPNA (RED)
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M61A1MECH View Post

Any help on this?
I don't think those buttons light up at all from Mommy H. At least they don't on my 2008. You can install a small set of L.E.D.s (from EC I believe) but they don't illuminate the buttons...just gives some background light to help to locate the sides of the thumb-dials. No reading possible.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

No they don't light up but it would be useful if they did.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 AM
Seasoned Member

NO LITES ON MINE YA JUST DO THE "TOUCHY FEELY " THING

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:31 AM
Seasoned Member

They would reflect in the windshield!!!!
William Anzik likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks all, I was concerned I would need to pull that panel up and check for a connector I forgot when I changed the air filter a few weeks ago.

Smokeeater1 may have a good point about reflecting in the windshield, but next time I have that section off, I am going to see what is possible to help light that area up.

Maybe a couple of hooded post lights like they use on aircraft could work if I can find then with 12 volt bulbs.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Yes. There is a reflection...of sorts. It's so minor as to be inconsequential to me. I tend to be pedantic but everyone has their own tolerance.
socalcamper likes this.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Since my first Goldwing (2003, now I own a 2012), I did notice every year there seem to be more back-lit lights
added to the dash.
My gosh Honda, how much more $$$$ would it take to light everything up from your 2001 redesign model.......

In fact, I love night riding and once in awhile when I do, I'm amazed how many lights that do come on.
I get the feeling I need to call the "control tower" before driving up my driveway...............I love my Goldwing.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page