GL1800Riders Forums banner

Road in the dark this morning for first time in a while now I have a question

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  M61A1MECH 
#1 ·
So I road to work this morning in the dark and noticed that the four buttons ( SET UP, INFO, TRIP AND DIM) under the LCD display on my 2013 GL audio/comfort were not lit up like the other controls. It has been a good while since I road in the dark and now can not recall if those were ever lit up.

Any help on this?

Oh, for anyone wondering, the button that says DIM, it dims the LCD display, I only ever used it to go to the next screen, who knew?

Thanks

#2 ·
That DIM button will also dim the panel light in the speedo and tach, so it may also dim the other light as well...on my 2008, if you hold in the DIM button, it will also switch between day and night mode on the GPS screen

#3 ·
So I road to work this morning in the dark and noticed that the four buttons ( SET UP, INFO, TRIP AND DIM) under the LCD display on my 2013 GL audio/comfort were not lit up like the other controls. It has been a good while since I road in the dark and now can not recall if those were ever lit up.

Any help on this?
I don't think those buttons light up at all from Mommy H. At least they don't on my 2008. You can install a small set of L.E.D.s (from EC I believe) but they don't illuminate the buttons...just gives some background light to help to locate the sides of the thumb-dials. No reading possible.

#5 ·
NO LITES ON MINE YA JUST DO THE "TOUCHY FEELY " THING :laugh:

#7 ·
Thanks all, I was concerned I would need to pull that panel up and check for a connector I forgot when I changed the air filter a few weeks ago.

Smokeeater1 may have a good point about reflecting in the windshield, but next time I have that section off, I am going to see what is possible to help light that area up.

Maybe a couple of hooded post lights like they use on aircraft could work if I can find then with 12 volt bulbs.

#10 ·
Since my first Goldwing (2003, now I own a 2012), I did notice every year there seem to be more back-lit lights
added to the dash.
My gosh Honda, how much more $$$$ would it take to light everything up from your 2001 redesign model.......:shrug:

In fact, I love night riding and once in awhile when I do, I'm amazed how many lights that do come on.
I get the feeling I need to call the "control tower" before driving up my driveway........:lol:.......I love my Goldwing.....:thumbup:

#12 ·

Any help on this?

Oh, for anyone wondering, the button that says DIM, it dims the LCD display, I only ever used it to go to the next screen, who knew?

Thanks

The lights are not backlit. I bought a set of LEDs from EC, but I got screwed because all they do is put bright lights behind the buttons. I will never buy another EC product because of the blatant rip-off. Instead, I built a map light with a circuit that lets me dim to a comfortable brightness. Got some good use out of my 3D printer!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 ·
That looks interesting. I am looking around for a used speaker shelter that I can experiment with, but so far no luck finding one. When I was building aircraft they used these little post lamps for this sort of thing, but they are expensive from places like Aircraft Spruce, maybe I can hit my local surplus shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.