Scratched saddlebag - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Scratched saddlebag

So I was backing my bike into my garage and wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, and while trying to position the bike close to the wall, I accidentally allowed the saddle bag to scrape against the concrete block wall. Now I have several scratches. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to at least make it less noticeable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
So I was backing my bike into my garage and wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, and while trying to position the bike close to the wall, I accidentally allowed the saddle bag to scrape against the concrete block wall. Now I have several scratches. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to at least make it less noticeable?
Take a look on ebay. You should easily find a matching color replacement. Trike builders list alot of items there.
GoingGrey likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I have pretty good luck with some very light compound. Test it out on a small area and see how it does for you. The key is to use a light touch and a good microfiber cloth. It the scratches are not too deep, it should get them out. Cover the area with a good polish after you use the light compound. I have a container of the stuff and it works well on paint swirls, too. Again don't rub too hard with it. Hope this helps.
SpEd likes this.

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway.
John Wayne.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Your scratches may not be as bad as they appear.... they are likely more dirt rubbed on the paint than real paint damage. Since paint is plastic..... I have had very good luck with a plastic cleaner.... I just used my Plexus I bought for my windshield on my truck to clean up some scratches ...... did a wonderful job.

I have also use Flitz polish and it has worked great. It's my go to scratch remover for guns.

Last edited by Zee Fifty; 04-10-2017 at 11:38 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Lightbulb Bag doors available now :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bear View Post
Take a look on ebay. You should easily find a matching color replacement. Trike builders list alot of items there.
Here is a Trike builder that does several conversions a day.
Anyone who needs GoldWing parts can look up
KD CYCLE, LLC on ebay and they show a phone number on all their ads.
They are great to work with and a pair of saddlebag doors would probably be cheaper than a repair (there is a pair of red doors off a 2012 there now for $80) . It would be great if people would list the color description they are looking for .
They are also great at packaging.
GoingGrey likes this.

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 75K trouble free miles
2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Seasoned Member

What color you looking for ? Trim or bag lid or bag

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 AM

Good advice......Just purchased a new lid for my left saddlebag on ebay. Cost was $100 and it was in perfect shape...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

My bike is a red 2012. It's just the bag lid that is scratched. Replacing the bag or even just the lid seems a bit drastic to me. I guess I'll try some compound and see if they will rub out. I remember seeing commercials on TV for some product that seemed to make scratches on cars disappear. I just can't remember the name of it now.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
My bike is a red 2012. It's just the bag lid that is scratched. Replacing the bag or even just the lid seems a bit drastic to me. I guess I'll try some compound and see if they will rub out. I remember seeing commercials on TV for some product that seemed to make scratches on cars disappear. I just can't remember the name of it now.
Not the stuff seen on TV. But, this stuff works very well. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G103.../dp/B0002UNON8

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
If you can post a pic of the damage we will be better able to help with a solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page