2014 GL never fails - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

2014 GL never fails

Due to travel and weather, I have not been able to ride much these past two months. This morning I had to run out shopping. What an absolute pleasure to know the bike performs exactly the way its supposed to!!!!!! I miss my Harley looks, handling, and sound, but in three years this 14 GL has never left an oil spot, it always starts right up, and never left me stranded. Worth the trade off!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

76 Kawasaki
78 Yamaha Enduro 500
81 Kawasaki
91 HD Sportster
92 GL1500 I
05 HD Roadking
2012 HD Ultra Limited
2014 Level 3 GL1800 Candy Red

Dave

Last edited by 93interstater; 05-16-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93interstater View Post
Due to travel and weather, I have not been able to ride much these past two months. This morning I had to run out shopping. What an absolute pleasure to know the bike performs exactly the way its supposed to!!!!!! I miss my Harley looks, handling, and sound, but in three years this 14 GL has never left an oil spot, it always starts right up, and never left me stranded. Worth the trade off!
Are you making fun of my HOG

At least I don't need one of thoes tracker things. I just follow the trail my spots make

I feel so insulted
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

You miss the Harley handling? I have never ridden any Harley that handles better than a Wing. Am I in the minority?
DaveinNC likes this.

Bill

Florida Prowler 02

Remember ATGATT

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorWing View Post
Are you making fun of my HOG

At least I don't need one of thoes tracker things. I just follow the trail my spots make

I feel so insulted
Heck no! I owned 3
GatorWing likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

76 Kawasaki
78 Yamaha Enduro 500
81 Kawasaki
91 HD Sportster
92 GL1500 I
05 HD Roadking
2012 HD Ultra Limited

Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxbb3 View Post
You miss the Harley handling? I have never ridden any Harley that handles better than a Wing. Am I in the minority?
Once above 25 or so, they all handle well for me. But at low speed maneuvering as in a parking lot, to me, the GL handles like a tank on two wheels. I guess thats why the GWRRA developed a course specifically for low speed parking lot situations. I've seen plenty of people who can ride parade circles on a Wing--just not me. 95% mental, and the other 5% is all in my head. But I have to say that my 92 1500I handled much better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

76 Kawasaki
78 Yamaha Enduro 500
81 Kawasaki
91 HD Sportster
92 GL1500 I
05 HD Roadking
2012 HD Ultra Limited

Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
i miss my harley looks, handling, and sound, !

why?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
In nine years, my HD's have never left an oil spot, they have always started right up, and never left me stranded.
2WheelNut likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Once above 25 or so, they all handle well for me. But at low speed maneuvering as in a parking lot, to me, the GL handles like a tank on two wheels. I guess thats why the GWRRA developed a course specifically for low speed parking lot situations. I've seen plenty of people who can ride parade circles on a Wing--just not me. 95% mental, and the other 5% is all in my head. But I have to say that my 92 1500I handled much better.

Agree that a stock wing is pretty bad in a parking lot. Steering just isn't precise as it flexes around and feels like it's "walking" on you and not stable. Honestly...if you know what to look for, you can feel it at higher speeds too as the problem still exists there but the higher speed provides stability and masks it.

It's a shame that the stock Wing is so bad in this. It can be fixed with a $500 aftermarket upper and lower tree or it could have been fixed for next to nothing by Honda from the factory.

After upgrading my Wing, it handles great in a parking lot.

Having said that.....I just consider a $500 tree a mandatory upgrade on a Wing and just mentally add that to the purchase price. Even with the extra, it's a better value than every other touring bike out there IMO.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

I'm really glad you are happy with your Wing and agree it's a great bike.

However, a 3 year old bike that still works as it should isn't a very high bar IMO. I've had 20+ motorcycles in my life that were 3 years or older and don't remember any of them leaking oil and failing within 3 years of new.

I probably maintain my bikes better than most but the most common cause of failure that I've seen is fuel separation and water contamination from storage of fuel with ethanol in it for more than 6 months at a time. It's significantly less of a problem on fuel injected bikes but it will cause big problems on carb based bikes. I finally got to the point where I'd drain the tank and carb bowl when storing and it solved it. I could let a bike set for a year or two and put fresh gas in and it would start right up.

Anyway....get used to the Wing surpassing your expectations. Properly maintained, I'd expect it to start every time for a decade or two and for 200K miles.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
In nine years, my HD's have never left an oil spot, they have always started right up, and never left me stranded.
Glad for ya! I have a couple friends with that experience too, but it has not been true for me--as I unloaded my 2012 Ultra Limited in 2014....oil spots, break downs, even had intercom problems. Must have been built on a bad day. If any of the 3 HDs I owned had reasonable service histories I'd still own them. All that said, I still love Harleys. If I could own two, and a MC trailer, I'd ride them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

76 Kawasaki
78 Yamaha Enduro 500
81 Kawasaki
91 HD Sportster
92 GL1500 I
05 HD Roadking
2012 HD Ultra Limited

Dave

Last edited by 93interstater; Today at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page