GL1800Riders Forums banner

Traxxion Triple tree clamp opinions

11K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  B.E.Coyote 
#1 ·
I sidetracked a previous post getting distracted on these clamps and wanted to discuss this steering upgrade more. I am interested in these and I'm weighing the benefits. For those of you who installed these, what was the most noticeable improvement? Are they worth the cost?

Thanks

http://www.traxxion.com/Traxx-Rite-Billet-Triple-Clamp-set/

#4 ·
The worth is to subjective so I can not answer that part of your question. I can tell you they make a huge difference in the road feel and the precision of the steering. I would say they made as big of a difference in handeling as the Traxxion fork upgrade. The triple (I have both the upper and lower), allow you to feel the road surface. It makes the steering very tactile. Pretty remarkable. I did not find that it made the bike ride more harshly.

They are not needed. I would say they are a very expensive "nice to have". They made the bike more enjoyable to ride for me. I would buy them again if I got a new Wing.

#5 ·
You already have my opinion.

I've installed it on 2 wings now. After having it on my 2001, I had to do it on my 2013 as it was inferior to the 12 year older bike.

The best you've ridden is the best you know so dont ride one with a fixed tree if you don't want to spend the money to upgrade yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Monk
#6 ·
I sidetracked a previous post getting distracted on these clamps and wanted to discuss this steering upgrade more. I am interested in these and I'm weighing the benefits. For those of you who installed these, what was the most noticeable improvement? Are they worth the cost?

Thanks

I put them on my bike about 3 weeks ago and in my opinion, they are worth every penny. They make the steering much more responsive, increase the feel of the road making the bike feel more stable and planted and also make it seem like it isn't going as fast at any given speed. They are not just for people who ride in the mountains, I mainly commute and have noticed a huge difference over the stock clamps. Had I known just how much of an improvement they make, I would have found a way to make them happen sooner

Reactions: 93interstater
#7 ·
Traxxion makes nice stuff and I have their rear shock and cartridges up front.

However, I think most of the benefit is from stiffening the lower tree. Buckskin (on the forum) offers a billet lower tree for some savings.

A disadvantage of the Traxxion piece is the internal hex fasteners (the Buckskin tree re-uses the stock hex bolts). Should you manage to round off one of the internal hex bolts it will be a PITA to get out.

With that said either option is an immediate and noticeable improvement over stock.

#9 ·
If you are mainly riding the interstate and are pleased with the ride, you probably should not try Traxxion. Ignorance can indeed be bliss. If you object to the flex and wallow of your steering and would prefer a first class sports car like handling instead of the Oldsmobile 98 type cushy ride, then go for it. If the cost is worrisome, get the tree and springs first for about 90% of the improvement and upgrade the fork innards later, if desired. I have ridden several stock recent year model GL1800s and my 2002 rides and handles way better for my style.

prs

Reactions: 2WheelNut
#10 ·
Can you explain "flex and wallow"? Ignorance is bliss, and the primary complaint I have is low speed maneuvering U-turns etc. Turns marked 5-15 MPH require more effort than I'd like vs other comparable sized bikes I've owned.

I'm on interstates only when I have to. Most of my riding is fairly rural 2 lane.

So whats the total conversion? Springs, tree clamps. and what are fork innards ?

#11 ·
Flex is when you impart a steering input, but the response seems delayed. The OE tree is too flexible, especially at low speeds to please some of us.

Wallow is when the steering input has taken initial effect, but over-shoots a bit and corrects back toward center, also due to the tree not being rigid enough. Wallow can happed from forces applied to the wheels in motion too, like a speed bump or pot hole. Another type of wallow can happen if stem bearings are too tight and the bike then weaves right and left while cruising with intent to remain straight.

The TOTAL CONVERSION? With Traxxion the Mega Monty would be the top level, unless Max has added something of which I am not aware. Dual AK-20 cartridges. All Balz bearings, Traxxion linear springs with spacers, fork caps with compression dampening adjusters, the full triple tree, the rear shock and spring with braided line, and maybe something(s) I forget to mention. The Traxxion Dynamics web site probably has it all listed. BUT, the tree and springs give the biggest bank for Traxxion bucks.

prs

#13 ·
So what are all the upgrades that would make sense to do while the labor is done to the front end? I can go to the Traxxion site, but I'd rather have a basic understanding first. Oh yeah, why did my initial post get the popcorn emoticans ? Has this topic stirred up people in the past? I posted once asking about GWRRA, that sure got the fur flyin.

#12 ·
U turns and parking lot drills on large bikes do present challenges. Our center of gravity is at least lower than some. Then again, there are folks who do impressive drills with stock GL1800s. I guess they ignore the imprecise steering at low speeds.

I avoid super slab riding too, backroads rule!

prs

#14 ·
In the not too recent past there were quite a few spirited threads regarding different suspension systems for our bikes. Max, the Traxxion man, sometimes made remarks about folks who did not appreciate his product or who did not notice what he claimed when they rode or who decided not to use his product due to cost. He did not always choose his words wisely, but a good and knowledgeable contributor appreciated by many. We have had Rocky Tree battles, and pros and cons of Progressive MonoTubes and bouts over anti-dive and on and on. So it has become where suspension questions are sort of like best oil questions.

If you are looking for the best of the best and **** the torpedoes (money), go with Mega Monty Traxxion. If you want a dramatic improvement on a best bang for the bucks result (and a very good result it is) clean the OE parts, new bushings, seals, medium weight fluid, linear Traxxion or RaceTech springs matched to your ride weight, All Balls (if your bike decel wobbles) and disconnect the anti-dive. Very few who have done that would argue against it.

Similar process with PMTs is just a tad more expensive and a little better. Similar process with a Buck's tree or Rocky Tree or Traxxion tree is a little better yet and the price goes up. Beyond that is Race Tech emulators and then Traxxion systems. As the steps and prices go up, the degree of return diminishes; that is a principle of Life. Only you can know what suits your riding style.

One way to get a vague idea of your riding demands is tire life right down to the wear bars. Are your tires shot in 3,000 miles or less and the sides showing great wear too? Go with everything Traxxion can do for you. Are you getting 6 to 8 thousand? 8 to 12, or 12 to 14. If you get 14 plus, why bother, do regular service with OEM parts. That is abstract and leaves a lot to desire, but gives a rough idea of how some ride differently than others. And there is nothing wrong or right about any of the wear categories I made-up, just different styles.

prs

#21 ·
@Tom Finch showed us the way the rear suspension moves, that setting at 25 actually is a bit softer with a lot more room to travel before hitting the bottom. Every since reading that I run "preload" at 25, 1-up, 2-up, with or without the camper trailer.

#25 ·
Good information on the load number. I think I had heard of people who set it at 5 ? I'll crank it to 20 or more and see if its smoother Thursday when I ride to Hagerstown and back. And if all else fails I'll get the manual out--but I think when I read it, I was not sure what they were saying to start with.

Where it's set now, even when I ride solo, crossing RR tracks feels like I'm on steel roller skates.

#28 ·
The improvement in handling is dramatic if your primarily a twisties rider. As stated, I do not know if I would spend the money if I primarily just rode in straight lines. I also would not spend the money if your hoping for a night and day improvement in slow speed turns. This is a big bike and it is always going to feel that way in parking lots, U turns etc. I have the Mega Monty and I thought it could not get much better. After adding the Heli Bars I was wrong. They tightened up the front end dramatically and I think made low speed handling much better. I believe it was Fred who called it the "Ultra Monty" It is the Rodney Dangerfield of handling improvements because it does not get the respect it deserves in my opinion. It is all $$ well spent if your a spirited rider and it wont make you miss a mortgage payment.

#29 · (Edited)
Iron Horse, awesome information! Thanks. I'll get Fred's DVDs out and look it up. By any chance, do you remember which DVD it is included on? The index did not seem very intuitive. THANKS

Varider, My days of dragging pegs have been over since the 80s HA! However, if I go for a ride its almost always not on the 4 lane but I do not go out of my way to avoid interstates. Been through the Dragon a few times, and I'm probably at an average speed for an old guy on a 900 pounder. I'm also no longer a fan of 'live fast die young' anymore, so I'd prefer not to die head on with a semi on one of these challenging raodways--like the Dragon. Point being, I do enough mountain riding so that I want a better handling machine than my 2014. On my 2 FL HDs and my 92 GL15 , any of the 3, I could ride circles around this 2014 GL18. Some of it is probably age, but to me, it honestly feels like an Tank (a big box) on two wheels at low speeds. I just have to decide what upgrade I am willing to pay for. This thread and all the input has been EXTREMELY educational!!!!!!

Reactions: varider
#30 ·
I was looking at that impressive list of motorcycles you own or have owned. I was watching the motorcycle auction show and they were getting big bucks for the 70 and 80's bikes. I sold my 76 CB750 Honda to my father's neighbor and he restored it. Beautiful. You still own any of those classics?

#32 ·
I'm not sure what it will ride like with just the triple tree...I went with the "Ultra Monty" ...with Heli Bars all at once...It is just not the same bike...I noticed a huge difference just driving out of the dealers parking lot in South Carolina...the only problem was it is $$$$

John

Attachments

#35 ·
Our typical package is call the "mega monty" by our customers. It includes:

http://www.traxxion.com/AK-20-Axxion-Cartridge-Kit-01-12-GL1800/

http://www.traxxion.com/Fork-Brace-...-Honda-GL1800-Gold-Wing-by-Traxxion-Dynamics/

http://www.traxxion.com/Rear-Shock-Absorber-and-Hose-for-GL1800-Goldwing-by-Traxxion-Dynamics/

The mega monty including installation in house is $2999.95.

If you don't have a nearby installer, any shop should be able to install the rear shock, we provide instructions for servicing the hydraulic preload adjuster and installing the steel braided line, otherwise it is remove/replace. To get the AK20s installed, you could pull the forks and send them in to us, the AK20s are $999.95, and installation including a full fork service, seals, and bushings ranges from $250-$310 depending on wear parts. Installation of the triple clamp is just like installing the tapered roller bearings.

#36 ·
Our typical package is call the "mega monty" by our customers. It includes:

http://www.traxxion.com/AK-20-Axxion-Cartridge-Kit-01-12-GL1800/

http://www.traxxion.com/Fork-Brace-...-Honda-GL1800-Gold-Wing-by-Traxxion-Dynamics/

http://www.traxxion.com/Rear-Shock-Absorber-and-Hose-for-GL1800-Goldwing-by-Traxxion-Dynamics/

The mega monty including installation in house is $2999.95.

If you don't have a nearby installer, any shop should be able to install the rear shock, we provide instructions for servicing the hydraulic preload adjuster and installing the steel braided line, otherwise it is remove/replace. To get the AK20s installed, you could pull the forks and send them in to us, the AK20s are $999.95, and installation including a full fork service, seals, and bushings ranges from $250-$310 depending on wear parts. Installation of the triple clamp is just like installing the tapered roller bearings.
Looks like my estimate for the AKs in post 17 was a bit high. They used to be $1200, now they are $1000....add a seal / bushing kit and fork oil for another $125 and it's about $1125 in parts instead of the $1300 I mentioned. Still quite a bit of money....but awfully good stuff.

#39 · (Edited)
Dave...I would ask Brian at Honda of Sumter...He does these installs after work...The bike (at least mine ) was done the next morning, dropped it off at 4 o'clock...If I recall Brian has done well over 150 installs...(don't quote me on the installs) but the guy that helps him has worked at Honda of Sumter for over 40 years...Plus this shop is much closer to you than Woodstock Ga...You can stay in a hotel less than 3 min walk from dealer...many good places to eat all around Honda shop

John

#40 ·
Have any of you tried upgrading to progressive front fork springs and replacing fluids, bearings, seals, and bushings in an effort to get a more responsive front end? Seems like a much less expensive thing to try first and it can be done at most shops that work on GLs.

My complaints from the passenger are all but gone since I cranked the pre-load to 22. But since doing that, it feels like the front end is less responsive.

#41 ·
Simply upgrading the front fork springs will make a big difference over the OEM. The best "bang for buck" are upgraded springs. Once the springs are updated, disable the anti-dive and the front suspension will work better under braking.

#43 ·
Agree with PRS.

QUOTE=Pigeon Roost;4397377]In the not too recent past there were quite a few spirited threads regarding different suspension systems for our bikes. Max, the Traxxion man, sometimes made remarks about folks who did not appreciate his product or who did not notice what he claimed when they rode or who decided not to use his product due to cost. He did not always choose his words wisely, but a good and knowledgeable contributor appreciated by many. We have had Rocky Tree battles, and pros and cons of Progressive MonoTubes and bouts over anti-dive and on and on. So it has become where suspension questions are sort of like best oil questions.

If you are looking for the best of the best and **** the torpedoes (money), go with Mega Monty Traxxion. If you want a dramatic improvement on a best bang for the bucks result (and a very good result it is) clean the OE parts, new bushings, seals, medium weight fluid, linear Traxxion or RaceTech springs matched to your ride weight, All Balls (if your bike decel wobbles) and disconnect the anti-dive. Very few who have done that would argue against it.

Similar process with PMTs is just a tad more expensive and a little better. Similar process with a Buck's tree or Rocky Tree or Traxxion tree is a little better yet and the price goes up. Beyond that is Race Tech emulators and then Traxxion systems. As the steps and prices go up, the degree of return diminishes; that is a principle of Life. Only you can know what suits your riding style.

One way to get a vague idea of your riding demands is tire life right down to the wear bars. Are your tires shot in 3,000 miles or less and the sides showing great wear too? Go with everything Traxxion can do for you. Are you getting 6 to 8 thousand? 8 to 12, or 12 to 14. If you get 14 plus, why bother, do regular service with OEM parts. That is abstract and leaves a lot to desire, but gives a rough idea of how some ride differently than others. And there is nothing wrong or right about any of the wear categories I made-up, just different styles.

prs[/QUOTE]

#45 · (Edited)
Might throw Helibars into the conversation. My used bike had the full traxxion upgrade minus the triple tree. I hated the position of the bars and how they flexed.

I set the heli bars a little wider and flatter than stock. Flex is gone, more leverage and way more comfort.

Install is probably easier for a diy kind of guy compared to the triple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.