• 3 Post By ride4fun
  • 2 Post By jprism
  • 2 Post By Wingleader09
  • 1 Post By Wingleader09

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Trip to Mt. St. Helens this morning.

It was nice morning so I just had to take my last trip of the year to the mountain to see it before it disappears into the clouds for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0421.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	158217  
Monk, Bryster and GoingGrey like this.

2015 GL1800/A level 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

In 2014 I road up on the east side on rte NF25 and then NF99. Boy was I surprised I may have passed 3 cars on the whole trip up NF25 felt like I was back in time. Beautiful country you got up there.

2012 GL1800 AC
Tennessee Traveler #41
Double Darkside #1164
"Got Miles and Smiles!"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprism View Post
In 2014 I road up on the east side on rte NF25 and then NF99. Boy was I surprised I may have passed 3 cars on the whole trip up NF25 felt like I was back in time. Beautiful country you got up there.
I haven't taken that backside route yet but I will. Today there was no traffic as the tourists are gone and Johnson Ridge Interpretive center is closed I think. Yes it is beautiful country and thank you.

2015 GL1800/A level 3

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun View Post
I haven't taken that backside route yet but I will. Today there was no traffic as the tourists are gone and Johnson Ridge Interpretive center is closed I think. Yes it is beautiful country and thank you.

If you go the backroad I would advise to go with another rider. Also check that the road is open as it was closed in May 2014 then opened in June in time for my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silkysmoothwing and ride4fun like this.

2012 GL1800 AC
Tennessee Traveler #41
Double Darkside #1164
"Got Miles and Smiles!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

My wife and I rode our wings from the Columbia River near White Salmon all the way up to Randle on NF-25 this past July. It's a great road with breathtaking views, But the last 20 or so miles on the North end between NF-99 and Randle continues to be hazardous if your speed is anything but fairly cautious because of the brutal frost heaves and potholes. This was the third time I have ridden this road over the last six years and I was hoping that the roads would be in better repair by now. You just have to be very aware of the frost heaves and potholes and ride at an appropriate speed, but it's still a great road.

(Swift Reservoir to Randal)

From Randle we made our way over to and up the Hood Canal and caught the ferry at Port Townsend. We got on the North Cascades Highway (WA-20) at Sedro Woolley and headed East back toward New Jersey. Here is the Spotwalla link for our 2016 trip. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...c575e86135c277
jprism and ride4fun like this.

-- Jim --

Last edited by Wingleader09; 11-12-2016 at 12:05 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Wingleader09, you chose a great route. I love Hood Canal and Port Townsend area. I will take that trip on the back side of the mountain next summer. I appreciate the heads up on the roads.

2015 GL1800/A level 3
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun View Post
Wingleader09, you chose a great route. I love Hood Canal and Port Townsend area. I will take that trip on the back side of the mountain next summer. I appreciate the heads up on the roads.
Ride4Fun, I did that route once before in 2011 on a solo trip to WA State. I wanted my wife to have the same experience, so we did it again this year. I just love it and would do it again next year if I could. That Spotwalla link shows our whole trip. Forest Road 25 (NF-25) is very passable you just have to keep a sharp eye out for the potholes and frost heaves. They can come up on you very quickly and unexpectedly if you are going too fast or not paying attention. Also note that in some years NF-25 doesn't open up until June or July after the snow is cleared. Just check the WSDOT website to be sure it's open when you want to go. Also, the "Mt. Adams Cafe" in Randle (US-12 at WA-131) serves up some great food. We can vouch for their breakfast and a buddy of mine says the lunches are just as good. If you are going to go through Mt. Rainier National Park, be sure to take "Stevens Canyon Road" off of WA-123 and then work your way West to Olympia for the ride up Hood Canal.
ride4fun likes this.

-- Jim --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page