WIndshields - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

WIndshields

I have a 2015 Wing (not f6b)

I was looking in wingstuff and they offer a Taka recurve shield in anywhere from 9" to 14" maybe more don't remember.

I was going to put a Klock Werks but feel the 14" may be a little too tall so I'm looking at the 11 or 12" from Taka. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Im used to no shield at all and want to be able to see over the top by a few inches because I'm going to get a smoke shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

How tall are you James? I'm currently running a 16 inch Klockwerks that I blacked out. I'm 6'1" and I see over it just fine. Rarely on a sharp hill I have to stretch up to see the "rollover". By the way , that Klock is the best shield I've ever used. I've tested it up to 127 mph.
moosevtx and flat6bagger like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
How tall are you James? I'm currently running a 16 inch Klockwerks that I blacked out. I'm 6'1" and I see over it just fine. Rarely on a sharp hill I have to stretch up to see the "rollover". By the way , that Klock is the best shield I've ever used. I've tested it up to 127 mph.
I am 5'9" I taped off my stock shield at 12" then at 14" the 14" is too tall I need 12" max. of course Klock werks does not make a 12"

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a Taka and like it. Company good to deal with and replaced my original under warranty no problem. They do tend to scratch easily; at least mine does where it slides when I change height.

It is adjustable so I would buy one that is the correct height in the middle position. that way you have some flexibility. For instance, after purchasing my Taka I also purchased an Airhawk R cushion which raised me up a little.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

A suggestion regarding the smoked windscreen.
I have a Madstad with a medium grey tint.
I also look over the screen, but at night, it is an issue.
Road debris, potholes, etc out to about 20' in front of my bike are difficult to see in the dark because of the tint.
I ended up getting the clear windscreen from Madstad to fit on the mounting base. Problem solved.
If you don't ride in the dark, no big deal.
But if you do, you've been warned.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgoldwing View Post
I have a Taka and like it. Company good to deal with and replaced my original under warranty no problem. They do tend to scratch easily; at least mine does where it slides when I change height.

It is adjustable so I would buy one that is the correct height in the middle position. that way you have some flexibility. For instance, after purchasing my Taka I also purchased an Airhawk R cushion which raised me up a little.
The one made for the wing is too tall for me even at the lowest setting. If I order one it will be the 11" for the F6B so no adjusting will be taking place to scratch it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
A suggestion regarding the smoked windscreen.
I have a Madstad with a medium grey tint.
I also look over the screen, but at night, it is an issue.
Road debris, potholes, etc out to about 20' in front of my bike are difficult to see in the dark because of the tint.
I ended up getting the clear windscreen from Madstad to fit on the mounting base. Problem solved.
If you don't ride in the dark, no big deal.
But if you do, you've been warned.

I do ride at night but mostly on the highway going to work. Or just around town not many pot holes here to worry about. But I do plan on adding headlights and fog lights from socal that should help out
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2003x View Post
But I do plan on adding headlights and fog lights from socal that should help out
I have auxiliary driving lights and bright LED fogs.
They don't help a lot for me for those 20' out front when oncoming traffic forces me to turn them off or get flashed.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2003x View Post
The one made for the wing is too tall for me even at the lowest setting. If I order one it will be the 11" for the F6B so no adjusting will be taking place to scratch it.
I am also 5'9" and the shortest one works for me. As a matter of fact I raised it one notch to reduce buffeting even better. I can't see over shield and look right in front of bike but I can see down the road just fine.

I could be wrong but I think the short one would work fine for you in the lowest position. But, obviously you have to make that call.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgoldwing View Post
I am also 5'9" and the shortest one works for me. As a matter of fact I raised it one notch to reduce buffeting even better. I can't see over shield and look right in front of bike but I can see down the road just fine.

I could be wrong but I think the short one would work fine for you in the lowest position. But, obviously you have to make that call.
I taped off my windshield with painters tape at 12" Road to work then taped off two inches higher and didn't like it at 14". 11-12" is good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page