Mirror cracked - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
Let me first say I don't know if this will work for you.

About ten years ago I whacked my F-150's side mirror with an ice scraper trying to get ice of it and it cracked in the middle. I went to a local automotive glass repair shop after an auto body repairman told me that they can just put an exact shape mirror glass over the cracked one and with the special epoxy they use it would never fall off. So I did that...cost me about $20 versus buying a mirror assembly for the door. It has never fallen off even after all these years of continued ice scraping during the winters...and you can not even tell that there is a second glass underneath it by looking however closely you can...even along the edges.

I have tried the mirrors bought from EBay ...made in China...and they look identical to the OEM mirrors. I took them back off and put the originals back on because I just could not get them tight enough to stop fluttering. The originals weren't that bad, bad one had a minor scratch on it so that's why I attempted to replace with the EBay mirrors....I can live with the very minor scratch.

Allen
I actually had a co-worker suggest something similar. He said that a glass shop custom cut an mirror for an old truck they were restoring and couldn't find a new one. They had the old frame and no glass. Said it was pretty reasonable. I'm going to check that out.
thx

Always try to positively influence a negative situation. ~author unknown

Mine: '13 Gray Metallic
The wife's: '13 F6B Black
(Double) Darksider #487
Michelin Alpin (current)
Battle Axe BT45

Proud to be a FREE American and I thank the Vets that did it for me!!!

'08 Titanium Wing
'79 Yamaha 750 Special
'78 Honda 750, '72 Honda 350, '73 Suzuki 250, '75 Suzuki 185, '72 Suzuki 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroh59 View Post
I actually seen those, but if you use the "show compatible", it comes up as not working. Something doesn't jive........

thx!
I noticed that too. The price was right... but I'd hate to get it all the way home, hold it up to the F6B mirror and realize there is no chance in heck that it was going to work.

Methinks that someone there has no idea what the F6B is, and how it differs.

2013 Honda F6B
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I think this should work as it does for other M/C mirrors, just take a pattern, or the mirror itself, to a mirror fabricator, one who cuts glass windows and mirrors for homes, and they will cut you one . I have done this several times. very reasonable on price..

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroh59 View Post
I actually had a co-worker suggest something similar. He said that a glass shop custom cut an mirror for an old truck they were restoring and couldn't find a new one. They had the old frame and no glass. Said it was pretty reasonable. I'm going to check that out.
thx
Many moons ago a forum member did the same thing for his gl1800 cracked mirror that roadrunner 1800 suggested.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:37 PM

Have you gone to a glass shop to see if they will cut you one to fit.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 AM
Seasoned Member

I have had both my gl1800 break at different times. One broke out west on a trip and I stopped at a glass and mirror shop and they cut a new mirror glass off a Honda car to fit and fixed it within a half hour so I could be on my way. About $35, Other one broke at home and I replaced it the same way.
Kiwi likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
I checked with a couple glass shops, and the frame of the mirror on the right side was con-vexed, so they couldn't cut flat glass to put in it.

I just broke down and ordered the Muth mirrors, with the turn signals in them. Now my wife will just look hotter than me.

Always try to positively influence a negative situation. ~author unknown

Mine: '13 Gray Metallic
The wife's: '13 F6B Black
(Double) Darksider #487
Michelin Alpin (current)
Battle Axe BT45

Proud to be a FREE American and I thank the Vets that did it for me!!!

'08 Titanium Wing
'79 Yamaha 750 Special
'78 Honda 750, '72 Honda 350, '73 Suzuki 250, '75 Suzuki 185, '72 Suzuki 90

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page