GL1800Riders Forums banner

New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread

38K views 294 replies 78 participants last post by  Ironhorse1800 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for GL1800Riders.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join GL1800Riders.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "GL1800Riders.com Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your GL1800 or ride, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/mygarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your GL1800Riders.com Team.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
We had some updates done over night and here is the punch list Please read this before posting about any issues.

**Please refresh or clear your cache to see updates, hit control F5 a buncha time or read here:
http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

Resolved (please test)
- Most Popular threads on home page - resolved
- Missing text and defaulted to yes in User CP - resolved
- increasing Post edit time limit - resolved to 1 week
- Classifieds new posting not working - resolved
- issues with user posting - resolved
- Video embedded Case #resolved

Still outstanding (possible ETA)
- Likes (custom hack to plugin in progress to retrieve old data - no ETA) Case #1703636
- Subscribed threads and Friends list (custom hack to plugin in progress to retrieve old data - no ETA) Case #1703643
- iTrader (the script to convert this is in progress and should be done end of week 11/30) Case #1703653.
- Albums missing Case # 1703474 (fix in progress roll out week of 11/30)
- Signatures are in progress Case #1703520 (fix in progress roll out week of 11/30)
- Restore user ignore list Case #1710292

I will keep this updated to address the multiple questions about the same issues to keep you all in the loop.

Jeff

#3 ·
Is there any way to show a thread's original post date without having to open the thread? Only the date and time of the latest post is displayed now when viewing a list of threads within a forum. I see they can be sorted by start date, but the date isn't known until the thread is opened. Thanks.

#6 ·
A+++

Its crazy faster on my ipad . Now i can moderator at twice the speed
>:)
Oh and the majority white wings on top of page was a nice choice :twisted:

#7 ·
Love it but I keep getting a database error creating a new thread in the General Motorcycle Discussion forum.

Also, are our signatures going to show up at some point?

#10 ·
New look

I really liked the current topics that were on the home page, is that somewhere else?

#15 ·
My signature disappeared too, but I was able to fix it.

All of my albums, except 1, are gone (it says there are 2, but one doesn't have any pictures in it). Will I have to start all over again?

Also, a post that I made recently to: GL1800Riders > GL1800Riders Sub. Boards > Gl1800 Riders Focus Groups > MC Trailer Board > Pics of your Rig (bike and trailer ) is showing a picture of a helmet instead of the picture that I posted. It's not even my helmet, or my picture for that matter.

Thanks for your help.

#20 ·
I have only seen the new look on my phone, but I seem to have lost all of my subscriptions.....both directly in the website and viewing in tapatalk. There were a lot I had saved for my own knowledge and others that I could re-post with information that could help others..

Will they be restored ?

Kurt

Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true.

#23 ·
I can't remember the names (except for 1, and it is not there because I did a search). I don't want to look through 115 pages. I started to look, but got the spinning wheel (and a headache) when trying to go to page 4. Is there any way to search the owner? I would appreciate your looking in to it. Thank you!

#31 · (Edited)
Appears pictures posted in previous threads are now an X.

Specific example is - http://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/246444-iba-final-4-year-2.html

post 12 and 16.

Also - the edit button for your own posts is gone - no longer able to edit your post.

Also noticed the number of posts per thread per page is less - perhaps done to speed up the display, but also makes the person have to go to the next page more often to read a thread.

Edit - new posts made on this new website has the edit button - but evidently not the previously made posts.

additional item - the popup box for selecting text color is pretty small, hard to accurately choose a color.

However - thanks for requesting inputs.

#32 ·
Appears pictures posted in previous threads are now an X.

Specific example is - http://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/246444-iba-final-4-year-2.html

post 12 and 16.

Also - the edit button for your own posts is gone - no longer able to edit your post.

Also noticed the number of posts per thread per page is less - perhaps done to speed up the display, but also makes the person have to go to the next page more often to read a thread.
10-4,

- I will have the tech team look into these issues in the am. I think it has to do with the hosted images on the site that we are working on.

- There is a time limit on editing posts, I think it is 24 hours or so but will have to confirm.

- You can adjust the post per page here: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Number of Posts to Show Per Page
Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.

Jeff

#33 ·
friends list is empty

Friends list in profile is empty.

#36 · (Edited)
The old site showed part of the topic when you held the "finger" over it. Not any more. Helped let us know what was being addressed without opening the thread.

Update, looks as though you must be logged in to use this feature. Correct?

Let's ee if auo login is still enabled.

#37 ·
Went to edit the above post - get a message you can only edit for 10 minutes - WAYYYY to little time, especially if desire to add a picture or add additional information which is what I tried to do.

Received your friend's request - accepted and is now the only one showing (I have no other friends :frown2:)

Profile bio and signature is now blank in user profile settings.

thanks for the link for adjusting page settings.

under manage attachments - all previously uploaded pictures appears to be gone. Also - previously the board allowed for double-clicking the inserted picture to enable an outline box where the corner could be grabbed to expand the pic from a thumbnail-sized picture to full size - will that be available on this new board?

#54 ·
10-4, we can tweak the edit post time limits when the team is back online tomorrow.

We can restore the friends list

Bio and other info can be recovered also

We have the new Drag and Drop feature and images should be able to toggle from Thumbnals to a window box. (testing)

Standby for updates.

Jeff

Attachments

#42 ·
What happened to our old Avatars, Our Friends list, and every thing else we had with our Avatars? Will they be reinstated soon? Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

#46 · (Edited)
Is there a setting we can go to so we can increase the numbers of posts per page? Sorry about the caps...our 5 month old kitten insists on jumping onto the computer desk and laying all over the keyboard and hit the caps button ...i'm not retyping this. So, it would be great to get more than 10 posts per page if we could. Thanks and the site looks good. A special thanks for retaining the Darksider group link.

Allen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.