Jumping all over - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
When I started getting ads that loaded videos and sound before I could do anything, I decided it's time to put an end to the ads on the pages. I started using Ad Blocker on Chrome and it works great. There is one jump when I first open a page, but NO ADS!!!! I am sick of these ads that just keep popping up and running whenever and wherever they want without any intervention from me and Ad Blocker is the first app to stop them that actually works. And it will tell you how many ads were blocked on that page. For example, the second page of this thread has had 12 ads blocked since I opened it. I understand the purpose of the ads is to drive business to the advertisers, but this crap has gotten out of hand with the videos that run automatically and you can't stop them and ads that just move with the page and all of that nonsense. If I want to buy something, I'll do my search and find the best prices and locations to buy from.

Good luck on getting this straightened out. It's a losing battle most of the time with the advertisers always trying to push their product to everyone. Just like junk mail, it goes in the trash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is too short not to ride as often as you can!! Enjoy the scenery along the ride.

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium (totaled 5/2017)
2007 GL1800 Nebulous Black

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
The problem is not the fault of the advertisers. They are just doing their jobs. The fault lies with the site owner/designer. There is no reason why a site like this needs this many ads on it! Yes, it costs money to keep a server running and to pay for bandwidth and storage, but the number of ads on this site make for a HUGE income for the site owner(s). One banner at the bottom of each page would be plenty to support the operating costs of this site.

2010 GL1800 Audio/Comfort (Red)
1981 Yamaha XS1100LH (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS850 (Sold)

Need manuals? Check out my website! Have manuals to share? I can host them! Just PM me!

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
-H. Ford
post #23 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
I was going to try and posts video I took with my phone but it won't load to post. Maybe someone else can have better luck.

When you have one, ride it. If you have one and don't ride it, whats the point.

post #24 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Just a thought and question so don't hate me. If the admin doesn't see it on their screen, what do they have on their computer that eliminates the issue we are having? Maybe take it off long enouvgh to see what we are seeing?

post #25 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2102 View Post
Just a thought and question so don't hate me. If the admin doesn't see it on their screen, what do they have on their computer that eliminates the issue we are having? Maybe take it off long enouvgh to see what we are seeing?

The WAG I made in my first post on this still stands. The only time I have seen this issue is with a slow page load that also jumps around seems to be when I am working a slow speed Internet connection.

At work, if I use my cell provider to browse on my iPad, I can sometimes get jumping pages while it loads. Stop, link up to my employer's wi-FI and the issue goes away. I have also seen the issue when traveling and using my cell service in areas where the signal is weak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #26 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Point taken. We are currently in California at daughter and SIL watching grand babies for couple weeks. At home we recently upgraded our internet to a faster service and still have the issue. The internet before had same problems. I can't speak of what it was like before the changes that were made both not being a member that long and from OAS, old age syndrome, don't rember. I will wait patiently and see how it plays out.

post #27 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

I have the same issue with the page jumping around. Not uncommon after I select something to open, for the page to jump and something else to open. Aggravating!

St. Joseph, MO
2012 White Gold Wing
post #28 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm using Win10 with Firefox. I had similar experiences until I started using Ad-Aware's Ad Block. Now, with most of the ads being prevented, my screen no longer jumps around.
griffalo likes this.

'08 Pearl White Navi
post #29 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 06:52 AM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Mine is jumpy too most of the time. Occasionally I get a complete hijack of the site by an advert. They appear to be able to intercept links and reroute them. On no other site do I get this. To recover I close the window and start over.
post #30 of 95 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Garage
Alright, getting a lot of good info from everyone. Thanks for that.

The ads on the site shouldn't be impacting your experience this much. If you aren't signed in there are more ads, but when you are signed in, there should be no auto-playing sound or video ads, there should be no ads in the middle of posts, and regardless of whats going on the jumping around of the page shouldn't be happening either.

I'm sending this up the chain. I'll probably be back requesting more data from you, but I need some tech eyes of this. For the time being, please make sure you have cleaned cookies, that you are signed in, and for the long shot do a scan for malware on your computer. Don't feel the need to post here that you did all that since I already asked before unless you find there is an improvement.

Thanks for the patience guys. I hope we get a resolution soon.

Case #2253611

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page