This site has pretty much become useless - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for suggesting Adblockplus. Seems to only be for Chrome though.

I only have a 3mb download speed and this site is way faster to move around in now.

2012 GL1800- 10,000 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Bridgestone G851 Excedra ZR-400 miles so far
Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F- 2900 miles so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianawantsme View Post
Thanks for suggesting Adblockplus. Seems to only be for Chrome though.

I only have a 3mb download speed and this site is way faster to move around in now.
adblock will work for modt browsers. i have it on Edge now.

Rob - 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Abp

Just installed ABP. What a difference!!!

Thanks guys,

Rayjoe

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Seasoned Member

My computer slows down all the time also... Sounds like I need the same added adwear as you..
It does get frustrating at times.........thanks for posting!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
How does this place compare to goldwingfacts or goldwingowners?

I noticed those forums aren't as busy as things are here. Anyone think I should start a GL forum?

Goldwingalliance.com?

I run my biker site based solely on donations. We have 5600 members at this time (like 800 active really) and I just changed hosting providers to keep the costs down. I too hate ads. So much so that I recently installed a DNS filter app on my home network that blocks all ads for all devices. Love it so much.

I'm game to start up a new forum lol. It's not like this place has anything more than vbulletin. I could spin up something similar inside of two days with zero ads ever based on donation income. All I care to do is cover my fees, that's it.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Seems all the websites hosted by VerticalScope are the same. Tons of ads loading all the time.
LEBoyd likes this.

2012 Pearl White GL1800
AMA Life Member
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
Seems all the websites hosted by VerticalScope are the same. Tons of ads loading all the time.
site speed is affected by things other than ads, but signing in does help reduce the number of ads you see.
are you still having speed issues on the forum? if so, what times during the day?

Lee
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I cant imagine how BAD this site experience is for folks who dont know how to block ads. I'm sure a large demographic are still using internet explorer, and have no idea what an adblocker is or how to install chrome. That being said, for grins I loaded up the website, in IE, at the office. 8 large ads on the home page. That's absurd. I realize that this entire world is starting to believe in advertising EVERYTHING, but that is totally taking the focus off of people getting involved with the motorcycles and more on getting the admins/owers PAID.

This place is still running an old version of vbulletin, and there are only 300 people online right now. That can easily be run on an Amazon AWS VM, for 20-40 dollars a month. That's the truth.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Garage
Hey there,

When you mentioned the 8 large ads, are these view-able when you are logged in on the site?
Also here s a link to download chrome, I am currently using it and rarely have issues with this site slowing down.
https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...FQWbaQodEf4ARg

Can you confirm if that helps out at all?

Richard.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
I cant imagine how BAD this site experience is for folks who dont know how to block ads. I'm sure a large demographic are still using internet explorer, and have no idea what an adblocker is or how to install chrome. That being said, for grins I loaded up the website, in IE, at the office. 8 large ads on the home page. That's absurd. I realize that this entire world is starting to believe in advertising EVERYTHING, but that is totally taking the focus off of people getting involved with the motorcycles and more on getting the admins/owers PAID.

This place is still running an old version of vbulletin, and there are only 300 people online right now. That can easily be run on an Amazon AWS VM, for 20-40 dollars a month. That's the truth.

What is it Derrick with all the hints that you should start another GL1800 site Not only in this thread, but several others you have made the similar hints and that you already have a motorcycle site or two already running. Last I looked the US was still a free place to do as you want to unless you are in a maintenance program otherwise known as a being a warden's problem. Go do it and feel free to stop by here and let us all know how wonderful it is.

I am far from a computer techno wizard as you might be and I'm the first to admit it. I never had the inclination to go to college to learn computer programming and other cyber world things you proclaim to know a lot about. I had to work from age 16 through high school and after that for 15 years in a factory then 30 years driving big rigs over 3,000,000 miles all accident free. I know that's a bit like blowing my own horn here, but I'm sure you understand that as you do a bit of it yourself don't you. Some of your posts do emphasize how much computer knowledge you have. Good for you. Even better if the military taught you all you know and if so I thank you for the service to our great country.

I DO use IE version #11 here on a Windows 7 Professional computer. Windows promoted their Windows 10 program relentlessly. I tried it for two weeks...hated it...and reloaded the Windows 7 Professional back onto my computer. I DO know about AD Blocker and have had it installed for over two years now and it works great. I also use a HitmanPro malware program to detect and eliminate all the malware my computer virus program doesn't. I see no ads at all on this site. I even logged off to visit as an guest and still saw no ads of any kind. I only see the top banner of the site and a sidebar with all the emojis. So even though I use the IE #11 I seem to be adequately getting by on this site....well with the exception of occasionally losing my weather banner which I haven't quite figured out how to reinstall yet, but we have very capable Mods here who don't mind helping out the less computer trained folks on the board.

You mentioned that there are only 300 on the board at the time of your last post. Have you at all thought that on any given work day a huge majority of the members might be at their jobs working. Not all members have desk jobs where they can sit and just look at GL1800riders all during their work. I assume the numbers of members on the board does increase after the members have gone home for the day and then chose to do as they wish. Just guessing there.

I am hoping the Mods and Admin of this site will let this comment be as in every debate there may be opposing viewpoints.

Allen
wingpilot08 likes this.

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page