to moderators, site not secure ? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Garage
This is a public forum and as such is view-able to all. The site isn't "secure" as this includes people just strolling through as guests. Passwords are encrypted, and that encryption also protects your email. So don't post any sensitive information to a thread. That's all the warning is telling you.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the reply Kevin. Yes I do understand its a public forum and anybody can surf through.

I do wonder about the 3rd line in the alert that I took a photo of and posted above.
Its been popping up in the past week or so.

It reads - "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site"

Can you comment on that please?

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900. Ridden where the geography includes glaciers, fiords, mountains, plains, subtropical forest, volcanic plateau, and miles of coastline are all within easy reach of each.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Yep me as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Thanks for the reply Kevin. Yes I do understand its a public forum and anybody can surf through.

I do wonder about the 3rd line in the alert that I took a photo of and posted above.
Its been popping up in the past week or so.

It reads - "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site"

Can you comment on that please?
This is also recently on my screen...Regards Eldon
Kiwi likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1800r Admin View Post
This is a public forum and as such is view-able to all. The site isn't "secure" as this includes people just strolling through as guests. Passwords are encrypted, and that encryption also protects your email. So don't post any sensitive information to a thread. That's all the warning is telling you.

Kevin
That is an answer one might expect from an over-zealous moderator, not an informed site administrator on a site run by a corporation that runs sites.

The message is saying that the site certificate, which is part of what lets all that encryption work, has got some issues that need some administrating. This is not a user level FYI, but an infrastructure To Do.

I'm not using https and am not seeing that message, but some are.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

Last edited by Big_Bird; 02-01-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Anybody?

The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site.

After all - what can possibly go wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nothings wrong.png
Views:	12
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	172137  

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900. Ridden where the geography includes glaciers, fiords, mountains, plains, subtropical forest, volcanic plateau, and miles of coastline are all within easy reach of each.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Garage
Sorry for the delay. I was getting more in depth answers for you guys.

When my techy guy gets a chance, he'll try and post a more specifics heavy answer for you guys, but he's the gist of what he told me

Nothing has changed on our end. The security hole that's being mentioned by your browser is about a "man in the middle" vulnerability, where someone intercepts what you are typing as you type it. Passwords are still safe, and the previous data breach had nothing to do with this kind of an attack.

There are plans of getting the "https" added to the login screen, but I don't have an eta on when that would happen.

Kevin
Ironhorse1800 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page