For sale section - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Garage
Hey guys,

I don't think the mods are very keen on the idea, but what about we suggest something like thread Prefixes that would show up before the thread title? That should make it easier at a glance.

~Sheena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:34 PM
ADMIN - Mod2

please test on iPads and Android tablets if you decide to go that route..
.. screen width on those is already crunched..

personally, i still do not see the value in further subs
In the past we tried but no matter, when a new guy needs some info he's going to post for it anyway.
Although the infirmation (sic) is here, most would rather "ask"..
.. there is that social aspect we should facilitate lest we become custodians to piles of stone tablets.

In lieu of additional sub categories I'd suggest a more sophisticated search engine.
.. the info is likely already here but access to it could be improved.

So a spreadsheet solution would be more tables and lists..
..a databased approach would include improved search functionality.

..ugg, spreadsheets are so yesterday

Dennis

....Life....

The problem with closed-minded people is that their mouths are always open.

";;;;;;;;;
{}
( ~ )

in the end,
we will not remember the words of our enemies
but rather,
the silence of our friends.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:02 PM
motorcycle cowboy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1800r Admin View Post
Hey guys,

I don't think the mods are very keen on the idea, but what about we suggest something like thread Prefixes that would show up before the thread title? That should make it easier at a glance.

~Sheena
Seriously? The mods are calling the shots? Who's benefit is the gl1800riders forum for anyway?

An Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

GL1800...that's how I roll!

Tennessee Traveler #107

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Would just one sub-sub-forum for "bikes only"be enough? The OP mentions jackets, coolers and folios. Each of those items need their own private section too, right? Following the thought process would put gloves, boots, pants, jackets and helmets as indivudal sub-sub-forums of the protective gear sub-forum.

I think that clicking the "Search This Forum" option, top right hand corner of the 4-Sale by Owner sub-forum does what some want - a custom filtered 4-Sale listing.

Clicking that, going "Advanced" and searching titles only for "Goldwing" produced a custom list. 18 of the first 25 shown were Goldwing only bikes for sale. No Harley or Kawasaki listed. There were a couple more pages of results behind that, but since newest was first, the the second page was last years posts and beyond. A search for "ABS" filtered it down to bikes I might be interested in. I should add "red" so I would get it down to only the bikes my wife would be interested in!

Similarly, a search of entire posts, not just the titles, found a lot of "gloves" for sale, most where the seller had multiple items listed. But every thread shown had some gloves for sale. We can search ... or we can make a sub-forum for protective gear, gloves only, men's only, XXXL only. Then I would not be searching for the right gloves for me, but instead I would be searching 4 levels down for the right sub-forum.

We could create sub-forums to no end with the sellers (and moderators) trying to figure out which sub-forum to properly list their item(s) in. Then a seller would need to create and track multiple 4-sale posts, each in the correct sub-forum to sell multiple items.

IMHO, using the search function is a much simpler solution. Maybe we can figure a way to improve the search function. But I don't think creating a lot of additional sub-forums is the best way to approach this issue.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster shooter View Post
Seriously? The mods are calling the shots? Who's benefit is the gl1800riders forum for anyway?
We make decsions on a group effort . The benefit of for all riders who participate on this forum. No decsion since I ahve even a mod have ever been made for ones sole benefit . Us mods do way more than most will ever know about on here. We volunteer our time ( a lot ) to make this forum the best one on the web. Many of us are on other good forums and bounce a few of those ideas around to enhance this one to better it for our members .
Now with that said I would like to see the classifieds split into four groups personally ( but I am just one of a group )
1. Bikes
2. Riding gear
3. Accessories for bikes
4. Other
But the problem I see is do we start over and wipe every ad out ? Do we have somebody sift through all the ones running now? ( I ain't doing that )
Sees like a lot of programming for something that is easily obtained by using search engine . My other fear is the obvois scammer making it easier for them to quickly pinpoint high dollar sales and targeting them .
So honestly I am on the fence with this one . Color me Switzerland the neutral cheese , chocolate , banking country .
BTW if it was not for us mods this forum would not be running
terryhitt and doug of no fl like this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
We make decsions on a group effort . The benefit of for all riders who participate on this forum. No decsion since I ahve even a mod have ever been made for ones sole benefit . Us mods do way more than most will ever know about on here. We volunteer our time ( a lot ) to make this forum the best one on the web. Many of us are on other good forums and bounce a few of those ideas around to enhance this one to better it for our members .
Now with that said I would like to see the classifieds split into four groups personally ( but I am just one of a group )
1. Bikes
2. Riding gear
3. Accessories for bikes
4. Other
But the problem I see is do we start over and wipe every ad out ? Do we have somebody sift through all the ones running now? ( I ain't doing that )
Sees like a lot of programming for something that is easily obtained by using search engine . My other fear is the obvois scammer making it easier for them to quickly pinpoint high dollar sales and targeting them .
So honestly I am on the fence with this one . Color me Switzerland the neutral cheese , chocolate , banking country .
I am probably "on the fence" as much as you are. I know my previous post doesn't sound that way, but somebody has to play the "devil's advocate" here!

From the seller's point of view - suppose a guy wants to sell riding pants, highway pegs and a battery tender. He would be forced to start, track and respond to 3 different threads, each in a different sub-forum. That seems like adding a lot of work for the seller (and policing by the moderators) - just so the potential buyer doesn't have to use the search function.
doug of no fl likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Wow, you folks are very self-assured in your own superiority. Must be nice.

I know how to use a search function. Am I supposed to guess all of the names of the bikes for sale? Like the person who put "G1800" instead of "Goldwing" or "Gold Wing" or "GL1800"? What about the person selling the nice old Concours? I'll never see that one because I'm not a retired keyboard jockey sitting on my butt hitting refresh every 30 seconds.

See y'all later

IBA # 63019 / 2015 KLR 650 / 2017 KTM 350 EXC-F
"Pie and coffee are just as important as gasoline." - Me
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGoat View Post
Wow, you folks are very self-assured in your own superiority. Must be nice.

I know how to use a search function. Am I supposed to guess all of the names of the bikes for sale? Like the person who put "G1800" instead of "Goldwing" or "Gold Wing" or "GL1800"? What about the person selling the nice old Concours? I'll never see that one because I'm not a retired keyboard jockey sitting on my butt hitting refresh every 30 seconds.

See y'all later
So I guess you were not really open for discussion here. Your way or the highway and you chose the highway?

At least you sold your Kawasaki.

Later.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
So I guess you were not really open for discussion here. Your way or the highway and you chose the highway?

At least you sold your Kawasaki.

Later.
I am a Moderator on another forum. I know what it involved in making changes and managing sub forums. If you really wanted to put buyers and sellers together, having just a little organization would help both groups.

I made a suggestion for creating a little organization and you made fun of me by saying that I needed sub-sub-sub forums for gloves because I was too lazy to use the search button. So, pardon me if I don't continue the discussion with you, Mr. Super Moderator.

IBA # 63019 / 2015 KLR 650 / 2017 KTM 350 EXC-F
"Pie and coffee are just as important as gasoline." - Me
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 PM
motorcycle cowboy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
1. Bikes
2. Riding gear
3. Accessories for bikes
4. Other
Point 1, I think those 4 categories would work really well. Why not give the OP the ability to edit his first post SOLD when the item sells? As for prices paid, that could be done via PM.

Point 2, My post was in response to sheena posting that the mods were not very keen on the idea of sub groups for the classified forum. I'm not try to get in a pissing contest with you but, without members posting and visiting this forum, we have no need for moderators.

An Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

GL1800...that's how I roll!

Tennessee Traveler #107

Last edited by rooster shooter; 04-10-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page