Private message vs visitor message? How to access past visitor messages? - GL1800Riders
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
GoingGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 472
Question Private message vs visitor message? How to access past visitor messages?

What's the difference between visitor message and private message? How do you access past visitor messages? Or how do you access the "notifications" drop down menu when you don't have any new notifications?

When I get a new notification it gives me the drop down menu to get to past visitor messages, but how can I get to this drop down menu if I don't have any new notifications?

I probably did a bad job trying to explain, so hopefully this make sense to somebody...



Please say NO to chrome...
GoingGrey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Seasoned Member
 
weengers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pekin, IL
Posts: 4,921
Good question, I'd like to know that as well.

Sheepishly in Christ,
Mike

"Why do I bother to pester you with these disturbing truths? Because the One whose disciple I am taught that we are set free by facing hard truths, not by hiding in comfortable lies."
Brian Zahand

Darksider International #51
2003 Silver GL1800 - SOLD
2010 Metallic Red Level 3

weengers is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
Ironhorse1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 4,256
Moved to Support Forum for some professional assistance. One of the IT folks might know a "shorter" short cut.

To access my Private Messages, I click my "User CP" in the top right of the screen then on the left select "List messages". Once there I can switch folders for inbox or sent items. I frequently review my Sent folder to remind myself what I said!

I find Visitor Messages under my User Profile. Two ways I found to get there. One is looking at a post of mine, click my name on the left and pick "View Public Profile". The other is to go "Tools", "Member List and search for myself. That also opens my Public Profile.

Keep this in mind: Visitor Messages are public! Anyone can view your conversations with others when you received and replied directly to Visitor Messages. When appropriate, I tend to respond to a Visitor Message by sending the member a Private Messages, taking our conversation out of public view. Not that a lot of folks here spend much time digging around for it that stuff.

And, as I recall, you have edit rights to Visitor Messages showing in your Profile. If you had a conversation there that you later decide you don't want to be public, you can delete it. If asked, any moderator can delete them from public view too.

Hope this helps.
GoingGrey likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Ironhorse1800 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
GoingGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
Moved to Support Forum for some professional assistance. One of the IT folks might know a "shorter" short cut.

To access my Private Messages, I click my "User CP" in the top right of the screen then on the left select "List messages". Once there I can switch folders for inbox or sent items. I frequently review my Sent folder to remind myself what I said!

I find Visitor Messages under my User Profile. Two ways I found to get there. One is looking at a post of mine, click my name on the left and pick "View Public Profile". The other is to go "Tools", "Member List and search for myself. That also opens my Public Profile.

Keep this in mind: Visitor Messages are public! Anyone can view your conversations with others when you received and replied directly to Visitor Messages. When appropriate, I tend to respond to a Visitor Message by sending the member a Private Messages, taking our conversation out of public view. Not that a lot of folks here spend much time digging around for it that stuff.

And, as I recall, you have edit rights to Visitor Messages showing in your Profile. If you had a conversation there that you later decide you don't want to be public, you can delete it. If asked, any moderator can delete them from public view too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, the above worked!

For my situation, I was selling something, somebody sent me a "visitor" message with the ship to info, but then I couldn't find how to get back there to access the ship to info.

I've sent pm's to folks here many times, no issue at all with pm's. Just have never used "visitor" messages, or even heard of them, so thought I was losing my mind (more so than I already have).

How do you send somebody a "visitor" message?

How do you delete past "visitor" messages?

Please say NO to chrome...
GoingGrey is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
 
Ironhorse1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGrey View Post
Thanks for the help, the above worked!

For my situation, I was selling something, somebody sent me a "visitor" message with the ship to info, but then I couldn't find how to get back there to access the ship to info.

I've sent pm's to folks here many times, no issue at all with pm's. Just have never used "visitor" messages, or even heard of them, so thought I was losing my mind (more so than I already have).

How do you send somebody a "visitor" message?

How do you delete past "visitor" messages?
Send Visitor message: When you are viewing somebody's Public Profile there is a box there. Type your message in it and send it.

Delete your Visitor Messages: Check off the boxes on the right, next to "Permalink" for Messages you want gone. Then scroll down, select "Delete Messages and "Go".

Work?

Want a screen shot of all of your buyer's personnel info?
GoingGrey likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Ironhorse1800 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
GoingGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
Send Visitor message: When you are viewing somebody's Public Profile there is a box there. Type your message in it and send it.

Delete your Visitor Messages: Check off the boxes on the right, next to "Permalink" for Messages you want gone. Then scroll down, select "Delete Messages and "Go".

Work?

Want a screen shot of all of your buyer's personnel info?
That worked, thank you sir!

Please say NO to chrome...
GoingGrey is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
 
Ironhorse1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGrey View Post
That worked, thank you sir!
Yup, Bill's personal information is gone from Public view! Well done.

I still have a copy if you loose it again.
GoingGrey likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Ironhorse1800 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
 
GoingGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse1800 View Post
Yup, Bill's personal information is gone from Public view! Well done.

I still have a copy if you loose it again.
Nice, thanks again!

FYI to everyone else, IMO I recommend NOT using visitor messages when buying or selling, especially if you are writing personal information you don't want everyone in the world to have access and visibility to. In addition, a visitor message will not trigger an email, so the buyer/seller won't even see your message unless they are on the forum.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Ironhorse1800 likes this.

Please say NO to chrome...
GoingGrey is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 864
Garage
Ironhorse1800 always on point with the helpful posts.

Looks like its all resolved here. Let us know if you need anything else.

- JB

gl1800r Admin is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:30 AM
Rail's biggest fan
 
Boomer1832cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1800r Admin View Post
Ironhorse1800 always on point with the helpful posts.

Looks like its all resolved here. Let us know if you need anything else.

- JB
Is there any way to turn off the visitor message feature? I would like to do away with it if possible. If someone needs to tell me something, I would much rather it be in a PM.

Darkside #1255
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Leader of the first Darkside Ride-in
Boomer1832cc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome