CB - Low modulation [Archive] - GL1800Riders

: CB - Low modulation

WingmanGL1800A
04-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Been wondering why no one ever answer's me when I'm riding and try to get someone on the CB. Went down into the garage last night with a hand held Cobra and found that while I appear to be sending out a good carrier, I have to speak very loudly into the mic to hear anything on the other radio. Even at that, with the hand held volume all the way up, I can barely hear voice. I can receive fine. The meter on the hand held shows a strong signal. SWR is under 1.4 to one (don't remember exactly what it was). Tried it with the wifes helmet/headset with the same results. Voice over the intercom is very good so I don't think it's the headsets.

Any ideas ??????

Regards,

Goldenwingers
04-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Some of the earlier units were replaced with refurbished units as one of my friends was with a unit that had a green dot on it. He has the same problem with his. We checked with Sierra Electronics this weekend while at the state rally and was told to take it out and send it to them and for $75.00 they would tune it up.

Don

JD
04-06-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm on my 3rd cb radio. I have sanded down the cb ground connections inside the trunk, added another ground wire, also switched headsets to air/rider, also had the SWR set at the tennessee rally, along the line some of these mods began to work, today my cb does a very good job.
JD
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

John
04-06-2004, 10:38 PM
They had a lot of trouble with the earlier cb units. If yours is one of the early units then Honda should fix it. Take it to a dealer. Good Luck. John

WingmanGL1800A
04-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the idea's. If the weather holds, it will be back at the dealer this coming Saturday. If they are willing to give me a new one under warrantee, who am I to argue. I'll try that route first.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Sunkist
04-06-2004, 11:54 PM
A couple tips you may as well try:
- Try rotating the mic 180 degrees so you speak into the other side. Could be you're talking into the back of it.
- Keep the mic as close to your mouth as possible. Kiss it!
- Try another headset if you have access to a different brand.

Hope this helps,
Arthur

04-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Hi Guys, Does anyone know when they fixed the CB units, like a manufacture date or something other then the green dot.
Thx
Bob Duffin

DaleC
04-07-2004, 03:12 AM
Bob - it was roughly 18 months ago when mine was replaced with a newer unit.

DaleC

uneasyrider
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
This may be of interest. It increased my modulation.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/uneasyrider/cbmod/

WingmanGL1800A
04-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Looks like some good info. Next question is where is my CB box. I have the CD changer in the trunk so not sure where they put the CB.

Regards,

Sunkist
04-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Your cb is located immediately below the cd changer, but still accessed through the trunk. I don't have the cd changer, but I assume you have to remove it to get at the cb.

Arthur