GL1800Riders Forums banner

Oil

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Bentwing 
#1 ·
Just bought my Goldwing and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a synthetic oil. I was told by the dealer not to run Synthetic until around 7k miles. Also I would like some opinions on gear oil.Thanks in advance for your comments.

#2 ·
Just bought my Goldwing and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a synthetic oil. I was told by the dealer not to run Synthetic until around 7k miles. Also I would like some opinions on gear oil.Thanks in advance for your comments.
Well, from all that I've seen on this board, I would venture to say you are safe with the following-listed from lowest cost to highest

Rotella T 5w-40
Mobil One 10w-30 or 10w40 depends on what your books says
Amsoil 10w-30 or 10w-40

Rotella doesn't offer a "Motorcycle Oil" , but so many guys have used it in the 1500 and 1800 and some have used it on the same bike for 150,000+ miles with no issues. This is the most cost effective way to go without sacrificing quality. Rotella isn't a 100% true synthetic either but ask the guys who have 200K on their bikes and they will tell you it's fine and has worked for them at the Honda 8K change intervals.

As far as gear oil goes, I just go with Honda branded oil and the weight recommended in the book (can't remember off the top of my head). Others go with all sorts. Hope this helps!

#3 ·
I'm sure you'll get an infomercial soon. Any well respected oil in a 10W-30, 10W-40, or a 5W 30 or 40 is good. Stay away from the "energy conserving" labels, they COULD make your clutch slip. That is not a given hence the capitols.I would start with the list above, because they seem to be the easiest to find in almost all cases. You'll have to order your Amsoil unless you happn to live somewhere there is some on the shelf. If you start to experience clutch slip, drain it and go with another oil. Honda dino oil will get it back to normal in most cases.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting. :popcorn:

#4 ·
man, how could I forget the Honda Oil. The OEM oil, Dino or Synthetic is good as well. Also, you mentioned about waiting to switch to synthetic till 7k. That is still debated. Most guys I trust say it's fine to put it in immediately, but I still ran Dino the first few oil changes. It won't hurt and you won't have to worry about switching too early since there are two schools of thought on that.

I'm sure you'll get an infomercial soon. Any well respected oil in a 10W-30, 10W-40, or a 5W 30 or 40 is good. Stay away from the "energy conserving" labels, they COULD make your clutch slip. That is not a given hence the capitols.I would start with the list above, because they seem to be the easiest to find in almost all cases. You'll have to order your Amsoil unless you happn to live somewhere there is some on the shelf. If you start to experience clutch slip, drain it and go with another oil. Honda dino oil will get it back to normal in most cases.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting. :popcorn:

#5 ·
Honda now lists SAE 10W-30 that also meets JASO MA as the correct oil to use. 10W-40 that lists JASO MA is also allowed. Any oil that lists those on the label will be fine. Here is a comparison of 10W-30 JASO MA oils that list those specifications on the label: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mct.aspx?zo=1181889 .

Also follow the listings in your manual for gear oil. Here is a comparison of several that will meet those specifications. Pick one of the top performing ones and you'll be fine. http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/WhitePaper.aspx?zo=1181889 .

#7 ·
Honda now lists SAE 10W-30 that also meets JASO MA as the correct oil to use. 10W-40 that lists JASO MA is also allowed. Any oil that lists those on the label will be fine. Here is a comparison of 10W-30 JASO MA oils that list those specifications on the label: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mct.aspx?zo=1181889 .

Also follow the listings in your manual for gear oil. Here is a comparison of several that will meet those specifications. Pick one of the top performing ones and you'll be fine. http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/WhitePaper.aspx?zo=1181889 .
WW, if you decide to buy Amsoil, find the name Bulldog on this forum. He has been here a very long time and is the main Amsoil seller on this board with a great reputation, I can't say the same for Tim. Tim is definitely the loudest salesman on this board, but give Bulldog a call, he'll do you right.

#8 ·
WW, if you decide to buy Amsoil, find the name Bulldog on this forum. He has been here a very long time and is the main Amsoil seller on this board with a great reputation, I can't say the same for Tim. Tim is definitely the loudest salesman on this board, but give Bulldog a call, he'll do you right.

I will drink to that !!:beer2:

Bulldog, Heres one for you :capwin:

JMHO :cool:

#11 ·
I use the relatively inexpensive Honda GN4 and change every 6-8000 miles.

I see no reason whtsoever to run synthetic oil

I have yet to be made aware of an Honda motorcycle engine having a shortened life, bad perfomance or any oil related failure when using this product as reccomended by the manufacturer

Not surprisingly, my Goldwing runs and shifts just fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.