GL1800Riders Forums banner

A bbq rte

2K views 41 replies 5 participants last post by  Flyguy405 
#1 ·
Let's plan a BBQ RTE. Leave KTUS early on a Friday, make an easy day stopping just short of San Antonio to RON. Early Saturday leave so as to join Tom's San Antonio breakfast club at 0730, from there ride to Lulling for lunch. After BBQ ride through Austin, out HWY 290 with stops in Luckenbach and maybe Fredericksburg before rejoining I-10. It couldn't get any better, miles and miles on the best motorcycle road in the States (1-10), breakfast with Tom, and a sarsaparilla with Willie and the boys, and maybe some really bad Tex-Mex at John Madden's favorite place in Van Horn. Talk about a Texas overload :).

I'll be open for most weekends coming up.

#2 ·
Where will lunch be in Luling?

Ok if I invite some Texas riders?

Friday the 17th is the only weekend that works for me and Brenda. We'll overnight in El Paso on Saturday on the way back, and then ride the New Mexico Tour Of Honor SS1K on Sunday starting with the Border Patrol Museum in El Paso and finishing up in Farmington. Since we need to get to El Paso on Saturday we'll probably do the turn-around after lunch and go straight back on I-10.

Or if we can get to the museum by 4 pm on Saturday we'll overnight in Anthony, about 1/4 mile south of the NM border and then start out fresh in the morning to conquer NM. 1031 miles in under 20 hours even with 30 min stops every 2 hours. This will be a lot easier than the AZ TOH SS1K. That liked to have killed me. Tough route.

We'll probably do Canyon de Chelly on Monday along with Window Rock.

#4 ·
Where will lunch be in Luling?

Ok if I invite some Texas riders?

Friday the 17th is the only weekend that works for me and Brenda. We'll overnight in El Paso on Saturday on the way back, and then ride the New Mexico Tour Of Honor SS1K on Sunday starting with the Border Patrol Museum in El Paso and finishing up in Farmington. Since we need to get to El Paso on Saturday we'll probably do the turn-around after lunch and go straight back on I-10.

Or if we can get to the museum by 4 pm on Saturday we'll overnight in Anthony, about 1/4 mile south of the NM border and then start out fresh in the morning to conquer NM. 1031 miles in under 20 hours even with 30 min stops every 2 hours. This will be a lot easier than the AZ TOH SS1K. That liked to have killed me. Tough route.

We'll probably do Canyon de Chelly on Monday along with Window Rock.
Of course, more is better.

See Marc's reply below...June would work well for me. The second weekend and we could drop by ROT and watch the crazies for a bit or maybe not.

Booked, next weekend and Memorial Weekend. First 2 weeks in June are all I have.
June sounds good.

#5 ·
Ok, no problem. We'll wave as we ride through Tucson on our way to El Paso. We'll leave out early Friday morning so we can get through Tucson traffic before it starts building up. I figure KSU at 5 am gets me through Tucson @ 0630, breakfast in Benson with my sister, and then another 5 hours to EP. Plenty of time to tour the BP museum and relax before hitting the sack for the long day on Saturday.

Any decent places to eat in EP that you are aware of? BBQ preferred, with Mexican second on the list.

#6 ·
Ok, no problem. We'll wave as we ride through Tucson on our way to El Paso. We'll leave out early Friday morning so we can get through Tucson traffic before it starts building up. I figure KSU at 5 am gets me through Tucson @ 0630, breakfast in Benson with my sister, and then another 5 hours to EP. Plenty of time to tour the BP museum and relax before hitting the sack for the long day on Saturday.

Any decent places to eat in EP that you are aware of? BBQ preferred, with Mexican second on the list.
Most of the time going through El Paso I'm dodging cars and just trying to survive. Many years ago the folks and I spent a lot of weekends there with most eating across the River. I loved the Rio Grand Bar and Grill, I doubt it still exists. Good luck on your ride.

#8 ·
There is a chain called Dion's in NM, Pizza and sandwiches. Great food. They have one in Cruses. http://www.dions.com/ Another great place is Golden Pride, not for BBQ though. http://goldenprideabq.com/ For breakfast in Sanata Fe... http://www.harrysroadhousesantafe.com/ Could be a wait...Don't drive the res at night. Book yr hotel ahead of time for Farmington. It gets full on weekends and they were doing a lot of oil work there as well.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Don't drive the res at night.
We've got the ABQ to Farmington stretch to do at night, but that's it. That's from 2130 to 0000 if we're on schedule but that includes a 30 min stop every 2 hours and it's highly unlikely that we'll be using that much time. The route cuts through the bottom corner of the Apache Rez for about 20 miles. I'll have the LEDs fired up and I'll be taking my time as I've still got a huge cushion of time at that point but it's always good to be reminded of the Open Range issues on the Reservations.

#11 ·
Are we talking 8 - 9 June as the second weekend, right?

Gotta check the dance card at home and at work on those dates.

I think home is okay; gotta check the work calendar to be certain.

I *may* have to do a quick trip to Ft Worth...dunno if I'd just let AAL haul my a$$ there, or try and get a black Wing to fly across western Tejas instead.

#13 ·
Are we talking 8 - 9 June as the second weekend, right?

Gotta check the dance card at home and at work on those dates.

I think home is okay; gotta check the work calendar to be certain.

I *may* have to do a quick trip to Ft Worth...dunno if I'd just let AAL haul my a$$ there, or try and get a black Wing to fly across western Tejas instead.
See if it works, Marc should be OK, Brian will that work for you? Once we pick a weekend I'll lock in Friday off.

#15 ·
See if it works, Marc should be OK, Brian will that work for you? Once we pick a weekend I'll lock in Friday off.
I'll get back with you tomorow (Friday) when I'm back in the office.

We *do* need a name for this ride...how about "Bubba1's Retirement Ride Celebration", or perhaps "The desert rats of AZ invade the Republic of Texas for a weekend!" :lol:

#16 ·
I'm working that weekend, but no sweat. Don't change on my account. :yes1:

#17 ·
...by the time I got around to asking the question, the fella that could answer it took off for the day.

So, I *will* have the answer Monday on the work side of the equation; have yet to approach SWMBO on the subject. :lol:

#18 ·
I'm working that weekend, but no sweat. Don't change on my account. :yes1:
...by the time I got around to asking the question, the fella that could answer it took off for the day.

So, I *will* have the answer Monday on the work side of the equation; have yet to approach SWMBO on the subject. :lol:
I'm open to almost any 3 day weekend as long as I have enough notice to make it a 3 day weekend :).

Work is crazy right now, the suits decimated the Lear program over the last 6 months and it is months, in some cases over a year, before they will have qualified instructors that can give check rides on line. Last week I taught a 604 line, gave a check ride in a Lear 31 and another in a Lear 35, five days three different Sims. This week I'm teaching both a 604 line, a 35 line, and giving a Type Check in a Lear 35 to two clients. If I survive and make it to Sunday it will be off to Margaritaville, who knows if I will return.

#20 ·
Link will be live sometime after 5 tomorrow (Friday) morning. Rough plan is El Paso tomorrow, all of NM on Saturday, a few places in CO and UT, North Rim, home on Thursday. Other than the TOH sites and SS1K on Saturday, there's nothing written in stone about where we are going or when. We'll let the bike guide us. Other than the SS1K, most days will be under 500 miles.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5df850f759ee959ee

If I remember to activate it, I will also be running my Bubbler GPS app on my phone. That link will be here:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=64d85166d8150749a

#22 ·
Link will be live sometime after 5 tomorrow (Friday) morning. <...>
We'll let the bike guide us. Other than the SS1K, most days will be under 500 miles.<...>

Ride safe Brian and Brenda. I'm heading to big Downtown Alamo, NV. http://teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2013/
Y'all will need to let me ride along vicariously this time...

Dealing with a bit of cellulitis right about now...at a most inopportune location on me for riding.

:eek:4::cus:

Yeah, I know, TM(f)I.

Marc - I found your SPOT link as well.

I'll be riding along with both of ya!!

#23 ·
Y'all will need to let me ride along vicariously this time...

Dealing with a bit of cellulitis right about now...at a most inopportune location on me for riding.

:eek:4::cus:

Yeah, I know, TM(f)I.

Marc - I found your SPOT link as well.

I'll be riding along with both of ya!!
Sorry to hear, take care.

If we decide to go this time, I'm not opposed to setting another date if folks want to put it off. I've looked at a itinerary that makes it three easy days: First day Tucson to Sonora, TX, it's right at 700 miles and 10 hours riding (12hrs on the clock because of time zones). There is a nice Best Western with bad TexMex next door. Next day, on the road at 0500 to have breakfast with Tom in San Antonio at 0730. After breakfast a short ride to Luling for BBQ, and then on to Luckenbach for a vist with Willie and the Boys. From Luckenbach back to Sonora to RON, about 7.5 hours of riding with lots of down time. Next morning an easy ride home, again 10 hours riding but only 8 on the clock.

If you have never had breakfast with Tom, it's worth the ride just for that. Add in riding the best motorcycle road in the States (I-10), being in Texas, Luckenbach, and BBQ, it doesn't get better.

#26 ·
Nice...congrats to both of ya!

How is Brenda doing with LD riding...Grace just can't quite get her head wrapped around that, I guess. :lol:
She's a trooper. Didn't like freezing her butt off, but never asked me to stop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.