GL1800Riders Forums banner

Water Softener

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rocket1lf 
#1 ·
OK, the water they charge me so much for has finally gotten so bad that I need to get a Water Softener. Lowes sells Krystal Pure which seems to have a good warranty. Anyone have a better brand? .

See less See more
#2 ·
I used a Kinetico water softener system for 17 years. Where I live now I don't need one, but if I did, it would be another Kinetico. The backwash cycles are based upon actual water usage as determined by a water driven turbine. When you are away from home and not using water, it isn't backwashing and depleting your salt supply. It doesn't require electricity or timers. The only problem I ever had with it in all that time was one winter when it froze and I had to replace some parts, otherwise it worked flawlessly.

http://www.kinetico.com/water-softener/

#3 ·
Mmmmm...CAP water. :tongue:

I've been drinking this calcium-based sludge we call dihydrogen monoxide for nearly 40 years...have yet to find a real need for that luxury here in Baja Arizona.

#4 ·
I have one, can't beat the lowes price around $1k. Kinetico is 3 x the price. If you do get one make sure they have a hose bib for car washing added. Some guys use DriWash. I wait for it to rain to wash mine.

#6 ·
I used a Kinetico water softener system for 17 years. Where I live now I don't need one, but if I did, it would be another Kinetico. The backwash cycles are based upon actual water usage as determined by a water driven turbine. When you are away from home and not using water, it isn't backwashing and depleting your salt supply. It doesn't require electricity or timers. The only problem I ever had with it in all that time was one winter when it froze and I had to replace some parts, otherwise it worked flawlessly.

http://www.kinetico.com/water-softener/
:thumbup: I purchased mine used about 15 years ago. Had to have a couple of gears replaced and a part of the head, but that's it. That may have been because my water pressure was at 95lbs. The city must have turned it up in my area. It's now at 70lbs and the softener just keeps working. It uses a lot less salt than others.

#7 ·
Kinetico for us. This is my second house with Kinetico. I almost disconnected the old one to bring with me to the new house but left it. After a few weeks without any, I purchased a new Kinetico. Not sure if it is worth that much more than the others, the water treatment business seems full of claims, counterclaims, scams, etc. For drinking, I have no problem with the tap water but I sure like the softened water for shower, clothes washing, etc.

#8 ·
Well, I went with the Crystal Pure from Lowes. Cost with tax and installation was $1085 for the biggest one they sell. I got an estimate from Kinetico and their smallest one was $3500. I'm not going to get into which one is better, I just could not justify that expense.. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.