GL1800Riders Forums banner

Emission Inspections Are History! ( I hope)

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  trouble1100 
#1 ·
Good news, I hope it's true this time!

The light at the end of the tunnel has been reached! Emissions on motorcycles in AZ will no longer be required AFTER June 21st, 2013. ADEQ vehicle emission inspectors will be notifying any motorcycle in line after that date, that EMISSIONS IS NOT REQUIRED!

A BIG Thanks to everyone involved...

#3 ·
Inspections

In Ohio we never had to have our bikes E checked. I just got my truck inspected today. There is no charge, just a waste of time. Now instead of riding to the inspection place you can just go for a ride, Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

#10 ·
Good news, I hope it's true this time!

Amsaf - Arizona Motorcycle Safety & Awareness Foundation

Here's some great news we have all been waiting for!!!!

The light at the end of the tunnel has been reached! Emissions on motorcycles in AZ will no longer be required AFTER June 21st, 2013. ADEQ vehicle emission inspectors will be notifying any motorcycle in line after that date, that EMISSIONS IS NOT REQUIRED!

A BIG Thanks to everyone involved...

So, my wife's bike is due this month...can I simply wait until the end of next month and pay the late fee?

#12 ·
The test is $19.00, balance that against the late fee, I don't know what that is.

It was never a big deal dollar wise, just an inconvenience every year. Especially for those of us due in the hotter months, sitting in that line in the heat waiting for the test.
That's why I purchased my bike in December...

#13 ·
...for those in Maricopa County, that is... :D

Never had to deal with it anywhere else, so...
You don't have emissions testing in Tucson? Didn't know that.

I live in Pinal county, but in a zip code close enough to Phoenix that we're still required to get the tests, so I've been dutifully getting them for years. Then somebody told me that my zip code has an exception area where you DON'T have to get the test, but the MVD won't tell you about it, you have to ask to be exempted if you live in that area. I go online and look at the map, sure enough, there's a small carved out area that's not included in the testing area-- and that area begins less than 50 feet west of my house. Yahoo. Had to send in paperwork on all our vehicles, but they eventually sent me a letter that says we don't need emissions tests, and I'm now allowed to renew online without them, even though the form always says, "Emissions Test Required".

#14 ·
They dumped cycle emissions in Tucson several years ago.

It is my understanding that it was too hairy to hold your bike upright on the "rollers".

I thought it was fun, but riders who dumped their cycle probably didn't have much fun.

First, they changed the test to "idle" only. Then, they exempted bikes all together.

I think that you still pay the fee, but you don't need the test.

The MVD should eliminate the "E" tests for all vehicles. There is probably more emissions created by driving to the test area and idling in long lines waiting for your turn.
Of course the tax payers would get a break if the test was axed & we wouldn't want that to happen....................

#19 ·
Yes, we had too.

Both feet firmly planted on the ground.

Very hairy.
Now thats even dumber than having to submit to an emissions test. Another dumbass politician who laid awake at night letting his brain (if he had one) run wild. I could understand this if it was law in CA, but AZ. :shrug:

#20 ·
They dumped cycle emissions in Tucson several years ago.

It is my understanding that it was too hairy to hold your bike upright on the "rollers".................
I had two-wheels as transportation from 1982 through 1990 here in Pima County.

I *do* remember emissions testing both the Nighthawk and the Magna, so that'd be starting about '85 or '86 - and the bike had to be on the roller.

Now, first couple of years, I do want to recall it was a full-on test. Holding the bike at what was it, like 30 MPH for 30-45 seconds to get a good reading - yeah, the bike would sway a bit, but the trick was getting off the rollers when the test was completed.

I want to recall that was only a couple of years, then it was a static test, so they still made you get on the roller, but it was more as a chock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.