GL1800Riders Forums banner

Interstate 70 from Lordsburg to Phoenix

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kwthom 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how Interstate 70 is from Lordsburg to Phoenix, or should I stay on I-10 headed west.

The wife and I are looking at that route for the end of June?

What kind of road is it and what kind of condition is it in.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has on it. :thumbup:

#2 ·
It's not an interstate, but it's a nice smooth (mostly two-lane) road. A little desolate in places (you do go through some reservation land), but all the amenities are available in Safford, Globe, etc. It's a much more interesting ride than I-10, US60 from Globe into the valley is the best part. I had occasion to go to Deming and back on the bike a few months ago, I took that route both ways rather than get on the interstate.

#3 ·
As the previous poster said, mainly two-lane road, until you get a bit west of Gold Canyon, then it's freeway.

It's a fairly high-traffic highway, as you can see on the map, there's nothing else for locals to use to get to point A or B on the map.

You'll want to traverse that during daylight hours...and when the monsoon storms come (late July? yeah...they'll be big at times) there won't be much in the way of other places to go.

Although, you have the same issue on I-10 as well, so there's nothing gained.

More info about that stretch is here...and, yeah, the food at these places is great! :thumbup:

http://www.salsatrail.com/

#4 ·
Are you interested in riding one of the most twistiest roads in the country?

70 to 75 to 191 to Clifton / Morenci (2nd largest open pit mine in the world) and then you are on 91 miles of the Devil's Highway up to Alpine. A short jaunt north to Springerville and then west on 260 to Show Low. 60 / 77 south out of Show Low to Globe will take you through the Salt River Canyon, a mini- Grand Canyon for those of us in the middle of the state. Once you reach Globe you'll take 60 all the way in to Phoenix.

Where in Phx is your destination? We might be able to route you a better way if we know where you're going.

#5 ·
I agree with Brian, if you are coming that way and don't do 191, and you have the time it would be a shame. Heck, I'd do it even if I didn't have the time.

#6 ·
Hey, thanks to everyone for the help, the ride on 70 was great, we did not take 70 to 75 to 191 to Clifton / Morenci, we were going to Tempe and it was super hot, we ended up stopping in Globe and getting a ten lb bag of ice so wife could bear hug it to keep her cool, she was also spraying it on my neck and it was moving out in front of me like it was in a vaccume and it turned into Air Conditioning, you had to have been there. LOL

The people driving by us were probably wondering what the hell we were doing, but we made it ok, it was 117 degs out.

Thanks again all. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Hey, thanks to everyone for the help, the ride on 70 was great, <...>, but we made it ok, it was 117 degs out.

Thanks again all. :thumbup:
No problem.

Now, for our little secret...

Those of us who live in the desert, and regularly see the landscape, we tend to leave early (like an hour or two before sunrise early...) and zip across while it's still cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.