GL1800Riders Forums banner

Argh - I gotta ride!! Hey, how 'bout some IB rides!

5K views 64 replies 12 participants last post by  Texas T 
#1 ·
My travel for work ends soon...I've got to get away & do something.

Right now, an in-state SS1000 is being planned. I don't know when I'll do it, but I gotta get some riding in! I've got quite a bit of time off that I need to start using; might as well get some riding in as well, if I can.

On a semi-related note, maybe one of the other IBA gang :lol: members reading this, but I've been looking for and can't seem to find it, I thought at one time, someone had developed a 1500 mile AZ in-state route. Any ideas?

I suppose, with all this time I have on my hands, I could see if I could route one myself, but thought I'd take the tried-and-true easy (lazy) way out first. :mrgreen:

Thanx!

#2 ·
Well if you can be at San ysidro ca, on Sept 4 th you can jump on for at least 3/4 of my 4 corners ride

#3 ·
Hi Tom,

Chad Smith did an instate 1500 years ago and I joined him at the 500 point to do an instate 1000. Chad moved out of state after helping me witness your 1000 but I will ask him for the route. It basically started at the TTT, went to Yuma, back to the TTT, then up to Show Low to Springerville, I-40 to Lake Havasu down to Quartzite, I10 to Buckeye, 85 to Gila Bend, then I8 to I10 to TTT. Worked out to be 1521 miles. Let me know and I can witness you.

Dorsey

#5 ·
1,564 Google miles. 25 Google hours. Mainly interstate and higher speed secondary roads but some canyons/twisties/rez. Starts/stops in Tucson.

http://goo.gl/maps/HRcGQ

This is similar to the 1100+ SS1K I rode two years ago on the TOH ride.

#6 ·
Wow...that was quick!

Heh...mention that IB phrase & everyone pops up out of the woodwork, I see! :doorag:

So...replying in order:

Dorsey: I did get the in-state MTF 1000 route (as you described) from the MTF web page, which is why I started thinking along those lines. My first thought was just to do an in-state SS1000, just to "get back into it", but would probably make it a "weather permitting" ride (if wx is good, I go!) I'll take my lesson learned from my l
ast ride & apply it to this one! :mrgreen: (see my story about the wrong rain gear set being put in the bike from my first SS1000). Thanks on the offer to be my witness; appreciate that!

Marc: I want to think that your route might have been the one I was thinking that I had seen, but then again....

Brian: Your route seems to be...I dunno..."more do-able", but it's not substantially different than what Marc shows.

Now, the in-state SS1000 route, I kinda like that, since I'd try to get a really o-dark-30 start on that ride, and would ride it counterclockwise, being more familiar with AZ-77 & US-60 while in the dark wouldn't be so bad - and the I-8/I-10 ride back home...yeah, I've done that one more than a few times.

So, I'm going to sit here & play with Streets & Trips a bit tonight and do a little plotting.

Than
ks, fellas!

EDIT: playing with something like this (combining Marc & Brian's routes)

http://goo.gl/maps/vlwmV

I have a spreadsheet from Greg Rice that I'll play with; I wonder if there's just too many stops to be able to make it _easily_.

#8 ·
The link above was a possible BB/BBG route, just for evaluation purposes.

The highway sections were chosen to maximise the potential to maintain adequate rate.

I'm thinking eleven stops might be too high a number for the BBG, which is why Chad planned it the way he did.

#9 ·
I was fooling around and looking for a 1,000 mile loop the other day. Phoenix to Flag to Albuquerque to Las Cruses to Tucson and return just over 1,000 miles...not all that interesting but probably could make some pretty good time.

#12 ·
The SS1000 route is available, along with easy to access fuel stops on the corners, from the Motorcycle Touring Foundation web pages.

EDIT See here: http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2011/Regional_SS1K/Tucson.html#start This was the ride I did. There's the in-state SS1000 route mentioned above.

The MTF seems to have an organized ride every couple of years, but I haven't checked to see if there is one this year. Skypig will weigh in on the topic shortly.

Remember, every major directional change requires a receipt proving you were there. (ref: the ins-state MTF map for example)

The instate 1500 I posted yesterday might be a bit complex...only partially through the calculations.

Marc: What was your time for that 1500 run? At 8 minutes per stop average, that's still in the 65+ mph average speed range, which is really close, and why I tried to put as much >65+ mph roads in the mix as I could.

Again, still toying with the thoughts, right now...

#13 ·
Ken, I did that one in about 23 hours. There was no problem maintaining a pace of 70-75. The dip down to Happy Jack was to get the right amount of miles. I did that one on the ST1100 so probably saved at least a fuel stop. Just checked the paperwork. I was one of 2 to do the 1500. You might be 3rd. I need to take the wing out for a long ride to see if the surging issue is still there.

#14 ·
Ken, I did that one in about 23 hours. There was no problem maintaining a pace of 70-75. The dip down to Happy Jack was to get the right amount of miles. I did that one on the ST1100 so probably saved at least a fuel stop. Just checked the paperwork. I was one of 2 to do the 1500. You might be 3rd. I need to take the wing out for a long ride to see if the surging issue is still there.
What was the deal with the forks?

#15 ·
997 MILES FROM ONE END OF STATE TO OTHER ON INT 10 - DID 04 ! JUST GO 751 MILES N TURN AROUND :lol::lol: ABOUT THE WORST ROAD I'VE BEEN ON ( INT 10 )

#17 ·
So, the Google Map link http://goo.gl/maps/vlwmV is kinda my starting point for me, just discussing the possibilities...

The stretch from Springerville up to Mexican Water, then down to Flag, is ~400 miles; Google timed it out at 6:45, so that's slightly above 60MPH.

I've not been on that stretch of US-191 north of I-40 (I normally am taking US-491 north when I'm headed in that direction...) nor have I taken (that I can recall...) US-160. I'm presuming the speed is posted at 65 on the desolate stretches of both of those roads. It'll be a little congested in Flag, but hope to get gas and get moving as quick as possible there & not lose too much time - as you have to do with every stop.

Now, to this random comment...

997 MILES FROM ONE END OF STATE TO OTHER ON INT 10 - DID 04 ! JUST GO 751 MILES N TURN AROUND :lol::lol: ABOUT THE WORST ROAD I'VE BEEN ON ( INT 10 )
Ahem...

I know that I can get some decent (according to our resident BBQ expert (and hi-tech undergarment aficionado) Bubba1) :mrgreen: at a place called Lum's in Junction, TX, which happens to be 765 miles (and 10h 34m, according to Google) from my front door.

...but that might be the second attempt at a BBG... :D I mean, this ride could turn into a Bun Burner (36hr) version in the blink of an eye. :oops:

#18 ·
Nothing wrong with the forks that I know of. Not sure I prefer them over the springs, but we'll see. IBR issue was the surging.
Kneebone / Higdon had reporting it as forks seizing and we couldn't figure out what that meant. :shrug:

#22 ·
<...>Ken, when are you looking to do this ride?
I need a consultation with CinC to be certain. See my PM.

Here is a tweek to your routing, the flags are at gas stations. E is Kachina Village to add 10 miles and I is a spash and go in Gila Bend to get credit for the corner, add 17 miles and avoid Phx traffic. Depending on your timing and luck 160 can be a challenge getting around all those rented RV's.

http://goo.gl/maps/UBih8
Oooooh! :thumbup: Like!

The thing I keep messing with is the number of stops. It's hard to maximize distance to potentially eliminate one of the intermediate stops.

I just don't see making it on less than a dozen.

Chuck: Modifying your modified route just a bit; eliminating AZ-85, by running out to the east end of both I-10 & I-40.

http://goo.gl/maps/FteZV

The I-10 location give the turn-around point as you head back west toward Safford...

The I-40 location sort of does the same thing - Marc used Lupton as a turn on his ride, so presume there's gas on the AZ side of the line to do that.

For this ride, electronic counter-measures might be a requirement, I'm thinking.

#23 ·
Chuck: Modifying your modified route just a bit; eliminating AZ-85, by running out to the east end of both I-10 & I-40.

http://goo.gl/maps/FteZV

The I-10 location give the turn-around point as you head back west toward Safford...

The I-40 location sort of does the same thing - Marc used Lupton as a turn on his ride, so presume there's gas on the AZ side of the line to do that.

For this ride, electronic counter-measures might be a requirement, I'm thinking.
Modifying that route just a bit to have me starting / ending at my home.
http://goo.gl/maps/gHlng

1,536 miles. Only one backtrack and that is just north of Eloy to show my transition from I-8 to I-10. That would also give me the option to ride home via Florence if I felt I needed the extra miles.

Yes, there is gas at Lupton.

#24 ·
Speedy's is on the AZ side. If you are running spot you can dispense with the minor turns, on my route, I didn't get one at Happy Jack, but did in Winslow. You can use the spot to bolster the route. The next one I obtained was at Springerville and then the final one at home.

#26 ·
<...> You can use the spot to bolster the route. The next one I obtained was at Springerville and then the final one at home.
I'd use Bubbler GPS, and the phone as the record for the ride...

Tangent...

10 tanks nope.Gravity fed, no difference with cap on or off. Wing has nada fuel filter as far as I know. There is a sock I heard someone say.
I think you're right, no filter, so that would mean it's potentially a fuel pump issue? Working, but not enough flow rate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.