GL1800Riders Forums banner

Road trip to Bonneville Salt flats in cage unit

858 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Tony in AZ 
#1 ·
My wife and I are not home yet. Drove rental Tahoe on 2400 miles of road trip so far. To the salt flats near Wendover UT, watched - helped some friends there for a couple days.. Up thru Twin Falls Idaho,, downn thru Nevada , Las Vegas, over to Show Low AZ area to view my retirement property.

So far we have seen 4 Goldwings. One 1800 (yellow) was on a trailer, one 4 cyl Goldwing. All the other bikes were V-twin,,, mostly HD. Some BMW bikes (one 1600 six cyl) ,, Dual sport bikes too.

#3 ·
I've always thought about cruising through one day during Speed Weeks - just to do a bit of a day watching folks haul a$$ really, really fast. :lol:

I know that lodging around that time is crazy expensive, which is why I'd just roll in, watch for awhile, tehn head onward to find a place with more reasonable lodging.

Might need to get Pooch (from Utah...) to give us the low-down.

#4 ·
I went through Wendover a couple of weeks ago headed toward Salt Lake City. About 70 miles East of Wendover while crossing the Salt Flats is where my right trailer tire decided to self-destruct. Luckily a worker on the construction crew doing repairs on I-80 stopped to help me get my spare tire put on.

#5 ·
I went through Wendover on Saturday afternoon on my Wing. Blue 07.

did you wave ? LOL :shock:

Couple of the 1800 bikes I saw were one up, loaded down. I saw one 1800 trike too, so that is 5 Goldwings we saw on the roads including the 4 cyl wing. Just seemed unusual for so few wings to be seen. in the 2500+ miles we drove thru 4 states. I am sure I missed a few. Mostly V twin bikes at the hotels we stayed at , a few BMW bikes too.

We drove the RT-93 down from Idaho thru Nevada to Las Vegas. Never been on the 93 for that length. Boring , boring , boring road cept for the 30 miles on mountains. One area was burning in the mountains.

#6 ·
did you wave ? LOL :shock:

Couple of the 1800 bikes I saw were one up, loaded down. I saw one 1800 trike too, so that is 5 Goldwings we saw on the roads including the 4 cyl wing. Just seemed unusual for so few wings to be seen. in the 2500+ miles we drove thru 4 states. I am sure I missed a few. Mostly V twin bikes at the hotels we stayed at , a few BMW bikes too.

We drove the RT-93 down from Idaho thru Nevada to Las Vegas. Never been on the 93 for that length. Boring , boring , boring road cept for the 30 miles on mountains. One area was burning in the mountains.
If you were on 93 on Saturday then we definitiely met somewhere. I left I-15 about 9:00 Saturday morning and rode all the way up to Wells, NV. There was one stretch where I took the hwy to the west into Ely, but other than thaty I was on 93.

Your description about it burning makes me suspect you were a couple of hours behind me. I saw about 25 fire crew trucks heading South after I got past Ely.

I told people that hwy 93 makes the I-10 between LA and Phoenix look like a twisty Grand Prix road!

When I showed my three year-old granddaughter some pictures I took along that road she asked where all the people were. I told her there weren't any. She asked me if I got lonely and cried. :cool:

#7 ·
I've always thought about cruising through one day during Speed Weeks - just to do a bit of a day watching folks haul a$$ really, really fast. :lol:
I'd like to go again. I haven't been there since I was 10 years old and we were the guests of the Arfons team. And yes, I did get to sit in the Green Monster. :cool:

Unfortunately, only when it was sitting still. :cry:

#8 ·
I'd like to go again. I haven't been there since I was 10 years old and we were the guests of the Arfons team. And yes, I did get to sit in the Green Monster. :cool:

It would be fun to run the Wing at wide open just for grins. :shock: But I hate to think of what all of that salt would do to the exposed metal.:evil:

#9 ·
<...>When I showed my three year-old granddaughter some pictures I took along that road she asked where all the people were. I told her there weren't any. She asked me if I got lonely and cried. :cool:
Oh, that's funny...did she get the smart-aleck gene from grandpa?? :D

Classic. My first & only time along US-50, my first time up that far north. We tooled from Reno over to Ely & spent the night there. Wow. :roll:

I've done the portion of US-93 as far south as NV-319/UT-56, passed on Zion at that time, took UT-9 to US-89, then zoomed over to Flag for the night, sadly having to be home the next day in order to get back to work.

US-93 reminds me a lot of US-95 as you head north out of Vegas toward Beatty. A whole lot of nothin'!

Wow - that was a LONG time ago, Brian.... :joke:

Like I said, that's probably a guy's trip...just for the day. One of those "been there, done that" adventures.

#11 ·
While at B'ville, watched a few spin outs at 200+ mph around mile 4.

Speed Demon car ran over 450 mph a few times out the back door at mile 5. I think new record for them is 437 mph average

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.