GL1800Riders Forums banner

Got to the top of Yarnell Hill today...one bike missing.

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  kwthom 
#1 ·
Fortunately still alive but got "object fixation" and rode the guard rail on his 2010 HD for over 100 feet. Well on the rail...on the crash bar...on the rail and so on. Finally came to rest in the middle of the road, arm received a major puncture from a 6 inch nail that ripped out of the guard rail post with his arm. Bike had some damage but still rideable, unfortunately the rider wasn't able. Spent the day traveling by ambulance to Sun City Hospital getting plenty of stiches. Also only wearing jeans and sleeveless shirt so plenty of bruises and road rash. Also had a BRAND NEW (first time out of the box) helmet on that received a good wallop on the get off. Could have been worse. :eek:4:

#2 ·
Yikes! Glad you are more or less okay. Sorry to hear about your ride. Good thing you had those big ol' H-D crash bars. Target fixation is a Big B!

We all like our mesh and textile jackets, but if your going to get in a knife fight with a 6" nail, don't forget to wear your leather coat.

:joke:

#4 ·
You were a witness to that incident? Or the victim??

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!
I was leading the three bikes so not exactly a witness until we returned to find the missing bike laying in the road and rider off to the side. It was one of my buddies, he's out of the hospital with lots of stitches, road rash and bruises but otherwise ok. I tried to post some pics, but having trouble for some reason. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Fuel tank
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive exterior Bumper
got it to work.

#6 ·
WAS UP ON DRAGON LAST YEAR N GROUP OF US RIDING AND GUY IN FRONT OF ME WENT OFF ROAD INTO THE DRAINAGE DITCH HEARD LOUD BANG AND HE POPPED RITE BACK OUT ON THE ROAD - JUST HAD TO CHANGE HIS SHORTS :eek:4: LUCKY MAN THERE ! SAID HE TOOK EYE OFF ROAD FOR SPLIT SECOND ! COULDNT HAVE PICKED BETTER PLACE TO GO OFF ! BE SAFE ! YA CANT DO THE PUCKER THING ON A CURVE AND GET GOOD RESULTS !

#7 ·
Two years ago in Death Valley, the young guy going south from Scotty's Castle that we scraped out of the rocks...Marc was there.

Sobering end to that ride. Alive, but beat up pretty bad.

#9 ·
Never was able to find out how that kid recovered in Death Valley. He had multiple fractures....

Too bad about the Harley Rider. At least the bike didn't look that bad. Good thing he was wearing a helmet...

Was he trying to keep up with a Goldwing?
He knows better than that...LOL! The second Harley in our little group got to the top of the hill and said "guess I need a little practice" to which I replied..."practice is always a good thing, but you'll never keep up with the Wing...too much torque." Bike didn't look that bad, but when you figure the cost to replace the trunk, saddlebag, front fairing, floor board, pipe, and crash bar I'm sure there's a few thousand dollars involved.

#10 ·
Think he'll revise his mindset on wearing gear?

I was at Mayo two weeks ago and there was a HD rider in the waiting room with us. He went down wearing no gear, no helmet, and wound up with stitches and road rash on the right side of his head, neck, and right arm. I asked about wearing gear in the future and his reply was "this wasn't my first crash; I've never broken any bones so no".

I don't think that's the right answer, but it's his life and his choice and I'm the last person to try to force my opinion on someone else.

#11 ·
Think he'll revise his mindset on wearing gear?

I was at Mayo two weeks ago and there was a HD rider in the waiting room with us. He went down wearing no gear, no helmet, and wound up with stitches and road rash on the right side of his head, neck, and right arm. I asked about wearing gear in the future and his reply was "this wasn't my first crash; I've never broken any bones so no".

I don't think that's the right answer, but it's his life and his choice and I'm the last person to try to force my opinion on someone else.
I truly think he'll change his mind. However, like you it's there choice and I'm also the last person to preach...so don't you dare say anything about my ATGATT hi-viz. LOL or I'll pull out the pictures.

#12 ·
HD Totalled

Buddy just sent me a text...insurance company is totaling his HD due to bent frame. Sure didn't appear to be that bad...looks can be deceiving. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Fuel tank

#14 ·
Glad he survived....can't imagine riding without all the protection I can get.

I equate it to buying a car and turning off all the airbags and replacing all the metal with cardboard.

His choice though.

#15 ·
Buddy just sent me a text...insurance company is totaling his HD due to bent frame. Sure didn't appear to be that bad...looks can be deceiving.
I talked an adjuster and service manager into that diagnosis on my Magna when it was in an unplanned ride termination incident.

Completely disassembling the bike to prove the frame is factory straight is expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.