GL1800Riders Forums banner

Coronado Trail - October 5th

4K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Speedywho 
#1 ·
We have reservation at the http://www.talwiwilodge.com/ in Alpine for Saturday. Anyone interested in riding? We could meet in Phoenix or Safford (for those down South). We had a couple of others coming but due to unforeseen circumstances the SO and I are doing it solo.

#3 ·
Can't make it but after you get back let me know what you think of the lodge. I stayed there once and wasn't impressed, but others have really liked it.
It's the WiWi. When you're almost the only kid on the block, you don't have to be impressive. The food wasn't that great either.

#4 ·
I'll be embargoed for any lengthy trips starting that weekend, I'm sure...which will be lifted around the 14th of October, so...

Should be a great time for a ride up there - and as far as the accommodations, yeah, a review of the place would be good, as I've toyed with a stay up that way early part of next year.

#5 ·
Will be more than happy to post a review. We used to ride on to Greer for dinner and then on to Pinetop for the evening which made for a very long day ride from Phoenix, not to mention riding from Greer to Pinetop after dark with deer and elk lurking off the side of the road. So we've started staying in Alpine and dining at the Alpine Grill but the motel (Mountain High Lodge) is just barely OK. So my expectations of the Tal-Wi-Wi are based on our previous rooms...according to the website, new mattresses, dual pane windows and added insulation have been added. We'll see, hope someone else can make it...did I mention, we carry beer and all the fixin's for margaritas and or pina colada's in the trailer including blender. :lol:

#7 ·
Alas, I am unable to make the ride, but I do ask a favor of you, sir.

Please make a couple of passes for me, would you please? If I can't be there in person, perhaps a vicarious twist here and twist there would serve my alter ego.

I thank you advance for your due diligence should this favor be granted. :lol:

- David

#8 ·

Please make a couple of passes for me, would you please? If I can't be there in person, perhaps a vicarious twist here and twist there would serve my alter ego.

- David
You got it man! Will do! :thumbup::thumbup:

#9 ·

- David
David...in your honor we will be taking the little detour to Big Lake on 261 and 273 as you recommended last year. Have had that on my bucket list since your posting and figured as good a time as any to ride after Coronado trail this coming weekend...Oct 5th/6th.

#10 ·
I'll be joining a ride of mixed sport tourers from a Phoenix area meetup group (wolfpack riders) Friday moring to ride that road and staying the night in Springerville. Then We are going to Silver City NM on Sunday and ride back to the valley Sunday. The group leaves the east valley at 9am. There should be 2 GWs in the group along with different sport tourers.

It should be a fun sporty ride ride....

Looking forward to it.

#11 ·
David...in your honor we will be taking the little detour to Big Lake on 261 and 273 as you recommended last year. Have had that on my bucket list since your posting and figured as good a time as any to ride after Coronado trail this coming weekend...Oct 5th/6th.
Good on ya! I think you'll enjoy this 60 minute diversion as opposed to the same old drudge riding in those tall pine trees and quaking aspens. Enjoy your ride and know that I'll be there in spirit and heavy desire! You may wish to bring a couple extra SD cards for your cameras, though.

Post up a ride report with pics???

If your ride takes you through Christopher Creek (east of Payson), stop in at the Creekside Restaurant for some of their homemade cobbler. Warm cobbler with silky smooth vanilla ice cream is killer!!! Sit in the enclosed front porch and watch the hummingbird action, while also enjoying the warmth of the fireplace if it's cool enough.

- David

#12 ·
I'll be riding with the same group that azsandrider is on Fri-Sat and Sun. I'm really looking forward to it..........just been working too darn much. :)

#13 ·
Will be more than happy to post a review. We used to ride on to Greer for dinner and then on to Pinetop for the evening which made for a very long day ride from Phoenix, not to mention riding from Greer to Pinetop after dark with deer and elk lurking off the side of the road. So we've started staying in Alpine and dining at the Alpine Grill but the motel (Mountain High Lodge) is just barely OK. So my expectations of the Tal-Wi-Wi are based on our previous rooms...according to the website, new mattresses, dual pane windows and added insulation have been added. We'll see, hope someone else can make it...did I mention, we carry beer and all the fixin's for margaritas and or pina colada's in the trailer including blender. :lol:
There is a Datil campout 4/5/6 and if Datil campground is closed we'll have a bunch of riders at the campground in Pie Town, stop by if your interested.

#14 ·
Trip Review

MAN!!! What an amazing road...how about we don't tell anyone about AZ191...AKA Coronado Trail...AKA Hwy666...AKA the Devils Highway. We departed the Valley of the Sun around 8 a.m. on Saturday morning as planned, greeted by some mild 10-15 MPH winds out of the Northeast. Fortunately for us, the worst winds were forecast for the Colorado river side of the state and the infamous Santa Ana's for California. Once we crossed over the mountains between Superior and Globe the wind vanished...making for a wonderfully uneventful ride across the San Carlos Apache Reservation into Pima, Thatcher and Safford were we stopped (for the first time) at Taylor Freeze for lunch...not a bad burger at all, good fries but the shakes were a bit thin...overall 3.5 out of five stars. We've also dined at the Infamous Bar in Thatcher and gave it 4.5 out of 5 but didn't try the milk shakes which can quickly take points off...LOL. The "trail" was amazing with little or no traffic, we passed one van twice (due to a photo stop) and another pickup that pulled out in front of us, other than that there were probably 10-12 vehicles headed in the opposite direction that we encountered. Weather was fabulous and the road was pretty much perfect with sections of new pavement, old tar snakes...not a problem, and a little debris that was easily avoided. The temperature was in the 50's as we approached Hannigan Meadow's around 3 p.m. and the drive into Alpine got a little cold, not bad but ready to put on layers when we arrived at the Tal-Wi-Wi Lodge. I can certainly see why folks would be disappointed with the lodging at the Tal-Wi-Wi previously as the exterior of the rooms reveals much needed TLC. We pulled up to the new Office and Saloon and were greeted immediately by folks who wanted to make sure our stay was perfect. The office and Saloon are in a brand new building adjacent to the old rooms. The rooms have all been renovated to include new windows, insulation, beds, flat screen TV's, Wi-Fi, direct TV and new roofing on the buildings. While the exterior still needs some TLC, the inside is more than adequate compared to our last accommodation in Alpine (hi-mountain lodge). The saloon was wonderful and the food outstanding. The owner and her husband or vice versa were both on hand and making sure that our every need was met. They currently have a limited menu but by next year will have a full menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As for the limited menu we had fried mushrooms (excellent) as appetizers, I had the fish and chips (as good as any) and the SO had an amazing BLTC (chicken) sandwich on some sort of flatbed sandwich with fries (again excellent). Beer was cold and Bailey's and Hot Chocolate most tasty according to the boss. The saloon was loaded with locals which is always a good sign. We will be staying with these folks again in the spring and welcome any GL1800 riders to join us for the fun. Additionally, the ride to Big Lake was excellent via 261 thanks to David's recommendation. I haven't downloaded the photo's yet so stay tuned....also think we passed cruiseman in Overgaard on the way home.

#16 ·
We will be staying with these folks again in the spring and welcome any GL1800 riders to join us for the fun.
Sign me up! I've been regretting for a couple weeks not being able to join you for your ride and the reason I stayed home turned out to not be worth it. So, in the spring for sure!

#17 ·
Good times!!

Really glad to hear the group positively enjoyed the ride!

The utter desolation of eastern Arizona is one of the magical experiences while on Hwy 191. Like you, I truly enjoyed that the road is mostly vacant which adds to not only the stimulation of carving corners, but also knowing that if an incident occurs, it might very well be some time before EMS arrives.

Those 25mph speed signs on a state highway is mind blowing to be sure. One doesn't often get out of 2nd gear very often in the lower sections, which lasts for miles and miles and miles and miles...well, those who've been there understand!

Glad to also know you enjoyed the side trip to Big Lake and the many scenic opportunities which laid in front, on the sides and even behind you as you rolled along on your Scenic Viewfinder.

Can't wait to see the pics, especially those quaking Aspens up high near 9,000 foot elevation. One of the better pics I have was taken many miles south of Hannigan Meadow as the Aspen's were in full color, with golden leaves littering the highway. The other visuals along the road to Big Lake is also spectacular in their own right.

With new asphalt and little traffic, riding along that portion of East Central Arizona is almost hypnotic.

Thanks for taking me along, I enjoyed the ride once again. Funny how one can still smell the odors from that place from afar...

As an aside, I also have wanted to ride up Mt. Graham from the Thatcher area. Looking on Google maps and some ride reports make it a must do trip. You should check it out, especially if a two day ride is in the works.

- David

#18 ·
Our ride was great as well. North on 191 to Springerville then out 180 to silver City then back across 79. 800+ miles in three days with some technical fast 'twisties' in the middle.

This is a MUST DO ride for people in Az or NM, or just passing through.

Next year I think I'm going to do the same ride but end up at the balloon fest in Albuquerque for the weekend.

#19 ·
Shhhh! we must quit telling people about this amazing 100 miles of twists and turns...think about it, 10 times the number of miles on the dragon and many, many more turns. Someone told me the other day who was riding cross country and just finished the Dragon...he stated emphatically that 89 and 89A into Prescott and then into Jerome "slayed the Dragon"...can't imagine what he would have thought of the "Trail". Please, no offense to the Dragon as I am sure it is a great stretch of motorcycling mania which I too hope to slay one day. Dave, sorry but the Aspens weren't really in Peak season but here's a couple of shots to activate your senses...and yes, the isolation that you feel on this road is just unspeakable. Mountainous landforms Mountain Vegetation Wilderness Hill station
Road Asphalt Thoroughfare Natural landscape Mountain pass
Home House Property Log cabin Building
Tree Natural landscape Nature Sky Natural environment

Attachments

#21 ·
Shhhh! we must quit telling people about this amazing 100 miles of twists and turns...think about it, 10 times the number of miles on the dragon and many, many more turns.
I've thought that 191 should be called "The rest of the dragon."

#23 ·
Thank-you m45mcdan

Shhhh! we must quit telling people about this amazing 100 miles of twists and turns...:bow:WoW!:bow: I'm humbled...enough create my first post after lurking in the background for a year....This trail is amazing...I was there Sunday...Best twisty ride of my life.. I will return....if nothing else to see all of the scenery I missed because my eyes were glued to the road ahead.... Thanks for your review and pics...As an extremely part-time resident it made my decision to come south early easy. I wanted try and beat the weather so I could experience this amazing road...I was not disappointed... Road Highway Mountainous landforms Thoroughfare Asphalt
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport Tree

#24 ·
Shhhh! we must quit telling people about this amazing 100 miles of twists and turns...:bow:WoW!:bow: I'm humbled...enough create my first post after lurking in the background for a year....This trail is amazing...I was there Sunday...Best twisty ride of my life.. I will return....if nothing else to see all of the scenery I missed because my eyes were glued to the road ahead.... Thanks for your review and pics...As an extremely part-time resident it made my decision to come south early easy. I wanted try and beat the weather so I could experience this amazing road...I was not disappointed... View attachment 47467 View attachment 47468
Welcome back...and welcome to the forum as a poster! Glad you enjoyed the ride....problem with the trail is it's hard to stop and enjoy the scenery when you're having so much fun riding! We do the trip every spring and fall.

#25 ·
Exhausted yet?

Is it just me, or once you arrive at the Blue Spring Overlook are you mentally and/or emotionally exhausted after focusing so intently on all those demanding twists, turns, ups, downs and sometimes turning within the confines of your mirrors? Like mentioned previously, there isn't much time spent at viewing the scenery, as what lies ahead of your front tire demands so much of your focus and abilities!

I'd like to see many more "try" to tame this beast of the Trail. I also ponder how many would need to pull over at some point(s) just to relax their minds so they can continue on this demanding road experience?

Forget the Dragon, take on the Trail!

Kinda sounds like a triple-dog dare to me, or at the very least, a new t-shirt.

- David

#26 ·
:thumbup:
Is it just me, or once you arrive at the Blue Spring Overlook are you mentally and/or emotionally exhausted after focusing so intently on all those demanding twists, turns, ups, downs and sometimes turning within the confines of your mirrors? Like mentioned previously, there isn't much time spent at viewing the scenery, as what lies ahead of your front tire demands so much of your focus and abilities!

I'd like to see many more "try" to tame this beast of the Trail. I also ponder how many would need to pull over at some point(s) just to relax their minds so they can continue on this demanding road experience?

Forget the Dragon, take on the Trail!

Kinda sounds like a triple-dog dare to me, or at the very least, a new t-shirt.

- David
:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.