GL1800Riders Forums banner

Sedona

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  oldguy 
#1 ·
We'll be in Sedona at the end of January for a week. Thinking about taking the trike. How is the weather that time of the year.

Anyone want to get together for lunch one day say Flagstaff or some place?

#4 ·
First time out here pilgram? :twisted:
Flagstaff is at 7K ft and will be below freezing at that time of year. Sedona can be hit or miss, but as long as the sun is out it should be OK. Watch for black ice in the shadows that time of year.
Lots of great food places in Sedona, Prescott and even Flagstaff. Check this link out http://www.sedona.net/weather Now Phoenix is downright nice that time of year, but cool iin the evens, down to the high 30s and low 40s.
http://www.silverspurtours.com/flagstaff-weather-climate/
http://www.silverspurtours.com/sedona-weather-climate/ These are the same, it's a tour company, but they have some useful info on the right side. If the timing is right we could meet for lunch. Also there are some great road out of Prescott.

#5 ·
First time out here pilgram? :twisted:
Nope not our first time, just first time around that time of the year. I know Flagstaff is at a much higher elevation and could have snow, but I think Sedona is a bit lower. Just asking for help and friendship.

We've been through Sedona before, but didn't have much time, that's why we're going back to spend more time. Thinking about taking one of the jeep tours of the area.

Thanks for the links.

How about Prescott?

#6 ·
#7 ·
Prescott isn't as touristy as Sedona, has a nice downtown, Cottonwood has the Verde River/Canyon Railroad ride, nice to do, and a mining/ghost town - Jerome. There are also some wineries in the area and a lot of State/National Parks. Hope no offence was taken to my previous post. Most people think of AZ as a desert and flat and are surprised by the geographic diversity. http://verdecanyonrr.com/ http://www.azjerome.com/jerome/

#8 ·
Marc,

Thanks for the information, no offense taken. Arizona is beautiful, even the desert areas. My introduction to Arizona was flying into Phoenix, we got caught in a freak snow storm that covered all the cactus with snow. Driving to Tucson we made a wrong turn, father in-law navigating, and wound up in Tortilla Flats. Had a great burger and got back on track.

#9 ·
Marc,

Thanks for the information, no offense taken. Arizona is beautiful, even the desert areas. My introduction to Arizona was flying into Phoenix, we got caught in a freak snow storm that covered all the cactus with snow. Driving to Tucson we made a wrong turn, father in-law navigating, and wound up in Tortilla Flats. Had a great burger and got back on track.
Tortilla Flats is on the way to Tucson. At least the way we ride in Arizona. We always take the long way. There are so many beautiful things to see.

Just a tidbit. There are more standing pine trees in Arizona than any other state.

#10 ·
Sedona is at 4500', Cottonwood is about 3500' and Jerome is about 5000'. You can get snow at any of these elevations in January, but typically it doesn't stick and if by some chance it does, it will melt by late morning. If you head out of Jerome toward Prescott, be advised that 89A will reach elevations of 7000', so use caution up that way. We had snow on Mingus Mountain this past week and the San Francisco Peaks (13,000') have snow also. If it gets too cold up north, head to the Phoenix area....I think the Barrett-Jackson auction takes place the last week of January and the Motorcycle show is January 24-26th.

#11 ·
Sedona is at 4500', Cottonwood is about 3500' and Jerome is about 5000'. You can get snow at any of these elevations in January, but typically it doesn't stick and if by some chance it does, it will melt by late morning. If you head out of Jerome toward Prescott, be advised that 89A will reach elevations of 7000', so use caution up that way. We had snow on Mingus Mountain this past week and the San Francisco Peaks (13,000') have snow also. If it gets too cold up north, head to the Phoenix area....I think the Barrett-Jackson auction takes place the last week of January and the Motorcycle show is January 24-26th.

All good information!!! We'll be watching the weather the closer it gets to the trip, I'm holding out hope of takeing the trike, but if it doesn't look good I'll checken out and take the truck.

I've been looking at routes to get to Prescott and if weather doesn't look good we'll take 17, but I'd rather take 89A.

Phoenix is on our list, we're members a group that I won't mention because it causes too much static on this forum, and can visit the home office. I need to talk to a few people there anyway.

On the way home, depending on weather, we'll take a Northern route through Flagstaff or head South through Tuscon.

#12 ·
I routinely ride to all those locations during the winter. However I live here and can travel on the spur of the moment and can allow for any weather problems. You will really need to play it by ear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.