GL1800Riders Forums banner

8th Annual Death Valley Rally, President's Day weekend 2014 - AZ Discussion

8K views 107 replies 16 participants last post by  kwthom 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yes, open invite. I leave the Tucson area around 6. I meet up with the Maricopa county contingent and we leave Wickenburg by 9 ish.

Small screen, fat fingers...you know the routine!

#5 ·
They'd have to buy the first round...The group basically departs at the same time, but can split up based on speed of riding and where folks want to do. It isn't a real formal thing other than the Saturday departure...sometimes. I don't see it as an issue.

#11 ·
At this time I am planning on making this trip. Reservations have been made for the 3 nights at Motel 6. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Ref. post 3 above. I'm in NW Tucson, first fuel stop would be there in Wickenburg for me anyway...I'll send a PM a couple of days before leaving.

A cold ride up there a couple of years, but we've not had a reason to not go.

More fun in the desert... :thumbup:

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

#12 ·
Ken, you and I and a couple from Corona de Tucson on a trike met and rode to Wickenburb together a couple of years ago. We met at the Shell station at Picacho. That worked for me. As you mentioned in earlier post we can discuss later.

#13 ·
Might as well keep the interest up a bit.....

Ken, you and I and a couple from Corona de Tucson on a trike met and rode to Wickenburb together a couple of years ago. We met at the Shell station at Picacho. That worked for me. As you mentioned in earlier post we can discuss later.
Yep, now I remember...the early-stage dementia must be kicking in... :lol: D'oh!

As I recall (or, as I looked it up in the earlier thread...), you're right near me here at Exit 250. The Picacho stop was to accomodate a southern Pinal county member, who unfortunately had some bike gremilns pop up shortly before the trip, so he (Gadi) didn't make it that year.

Earlier in this thread (post 2), is some of the first interest from Cochise county that I'm aware of since I've been doing the ride. As I've mentioned before, I've tended to head out just as it's getting light at that time of year to (a) meet up with the Maricopa County posse (b) enjoy the majority of the ride up there in the daylight - not counting the first hour or so of darkness and (c) in the event of issues on the way up, there's still daylight to resolve the dilemma.

As you know, the town is small, it's not that hard to find us, the Conference Center (a.k.a. parking lot) or the other vast entertainment options there in the Kingdom of Nye! :doorag:

#15 ·
<...>Coming from green valley and can meet up anywhere, pretty familiar with the area.
It'll take a little time for the interest to really pick up - and it tends to happen shortly after the holiday season.

We'll really focus on NOT putting a plan together then. :lol:

#17 ·
;)

Im booked at the el portal, hope to ride up to Beatty with youse guys on Friday. Coming from green valley and can meet up anywhere, pretty familiar with the area.
Except for being at the other end of town the el portal is ok. Stayed there the first year of the ride

#19 ·
The 'other end of town' in Beatty NV is not that far away. :lol:
Three blocks, maybe four?

Let us seek the truth here: http://goo.gl/maps/n0cqJ

Oh, my...looks more like six or seven blocks away! :cool:

Darn near across town!! :nojoke:

...and at a maximum of 25MPH as well - that could take almost three minutes to get there! :doorag:

#20 ·
Rebooked

Three blocks, maybe four?

Let us seek the truth here: http://goo.gl/maps/n0cqJ

Oh, my...looks more like six or seven blocks away! :cool:

Darn near across town!! :nojoke:

...and at a maximum of 25MPH as well - that could take almost three minutes to get there! :doorag:
Too far so I am now at Headquarters (motel 6). Gonna take two to get their with layover in Laughlin.

#21 ·
Of course I was thinking of the walking distance and time to anything like food etc. nothing at that end. Place is ok. I've stayed there the first year

#24 ·
That's true but it's clean economical and the people there are friendly. You do want to be in the back newer section
ah yep. Same can be said for hotels we stay in for Bonneville Speed Week that are located in Wells Nevada. Wells is Way north from Beatty ... although motel prices do increase during the racing at the Salt Flats. Rooms are difficult to acquire, the reason for staying in a motel that is about 60 miles from the Salt Flats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.