GL1800Riders Forums banner

Mexico Baja 1000

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pearlblue1800A 
#1 ·
Seen bits and pieces of it as we rode down. Left AJ on the Tuesday the 12th and made Cabo Friday night. Good ride roads are a whole lot better than the last time I was in MX. Seen a beautiful sunrise in Loreta.

See less See more
#6 ·
I love it! I've read so many great stories of riding in Mexico, the villages, the locals, the food...it's on my bucket list of destinations. Thanks for de-bunking the MSM and talking heads who feel it necessary to keep American's afraid of their own shadows. Don't get me wrong, I know that the border towns and drug wars are the real deal, but what happens on the border shouldn't overshadow the rest of the country. Sorta like saying what happens in America's inner cities is a refection of the whole.

#7 ·
I love it! I've read so many great stories of riding in Mexico, the villages, the locals, the food...it's on my bucket list of destinations. Thanks for de-bunking the MSM and talking heads who feel it necessary to keep American's afraid of their own shadows. Don't get me wrong, I know that the border towns and drug wars are the real deal, but what happens on the border shouldn't overshadow the rest of the country. Sorta like saying what happens in America's inner cities is a refection of the whole.
Made it back home in one piece, didn't get robbed or food poisoning and once again met some very nice people. They have really made some improvements on the roads in Mexico.

#8 ·
You ride the GW down there?

I spent close to two months riding most every western and central state in Mexico.

Other than the occasional impromptu 'tope' the highways are in perfect to excellent shape. Certainly there was not any need for a dual sport, unless you wished to venture off road.

I found that the Mexican people are not anywhere remotely accurately portrayed in the American mass media.

Often I have used this analogy:

Imagine if the BBC London broadcast not to travel to the USA because there were close to 10,000 murders involving handguns last year.
True statement.
How many people feel the need to carry a handgun for their own 'protection' within the borders of the USA

The media does not accurately reflect where the majority of these incidents occur.

Plus there is the economic version. Look at the billions of tourist dollars that are not being spent out of the country. Instead that money is spent nationally.
All because of the fact many people blindly believe the mass media.

#9 ·
I spent close to two months riding most every western and central state in Mexico.

Other than the occasional impromptu 'tope' the highways are in perfect to excellent shape. Certainly there was not any need for a dual sport, unless you wished to venture off road.

I found that the Mexican people are not anywhere remotely accurately portrayed in the American mass media.

Often I have used this analogy:

Imagine if the BBC London broadcast not to travel to the USA because there were close to 10,000 murders involving handguns last year.
True statement.
How many people feel the need to carry a handgun for their own 'protection' within the borders of the USA

The media does not accurately reflect where the majority of these incidents occur.

Plus there is the economic version. Look at the billions of tourist dollars that are not being spent out of the country. Instead that money is spent nationally.
All because of the fact many people blindly believe the mass media.
Bravo, and well stated!

When my bride and I started traveling out of the country, family members kept asking "are you sure it's safe??!?"
We were in Egypt 6 months after the beginning of "Arab Spring" - not a moment of worry!
We were in Istanbul - including an afternoon exactly where the mass demonstrations took place a few weeks later. Not one second of worry.
Athens and Rome when demonstrations were happening a few blocks from where we had lunch - not a problem. Shared coffee with total strangers in "Muslim" countries and came away a richer person for the experience.

The media promotes fear by following the old rule: "If it bleeds, it leads." Meanwhile, the people of planet earth are just going about their lives the best they can.

I worry more riding in Lost Angeles (road rage, etc.) than I ever have in 20+ foreign countries!

"Alle Menschen werden Brüder..." ~ Friedrich Schiller

#10 ·
Bravo, and well stated!

When my bride and I started traveling out of the country, family members kept asking "are you sure it's safe??!?"
We were in Egypt 6 months after the beginning of "Arab Spring" - not a moment of worry!
We were in Istanbul - including an afternoon exactly where the mass demonstrations took place a few weeks later. Not one second of worry.
Athens and Rome when demonstrations were happening a few blocks from where we had lunch - not a problem. Shared coffee with total strangers in "Muslim" countries and came away a richer person for the experience.

The media promotes fear by following the old rule: "If it bleeds, it leads." Meanwhile, the people of planet earth are just going about their lives the best they can.

I worry more riding in Lost Angeles (road rage, etc.) than I ever have in 20+ foreign countries!

"Alle Menschen werden Brüder..." ~ Friedrich Schiller
Exactly; I too am more concerned for my safety when riding in the USA, than all of Europe and most of Latin America I/c Mexico

People must not be lead by the interests of the mass media.

In most cases all one is required to do is to 'follow the money' Meaning, who or what has a financial interest in controlling anyone's desire to travel.

It would be safe to say that anyone who has travelled has reaped many rewards.

People should do a bit of research on their own.

Check an actual motorcycle travel site, http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ is a good starting point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.