GL1800Riders Forums banner

Apache trail Hwy 88

2K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  azsandrider 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Hwy 88 is completely paved. From what I could find online they were in the process of paving it but not sure if its done. Thanks

#5 ·
We just went to Ma's, in the town of Roosevelt, Saturday for breakfast. Took 87 to 188 down past 88. I've been on 88 with the Jeep, but I wouldn't take the road sofa (wing) on it.

#7 ·
I'm riding it this Friday, on my BMW GS Adventure....and then up 288 to Young (which would be a GREAT GW ride if they ever paved 288 allthe way through to 260)

The road is gravel and nicely graded but has small 'washboards'.

BigLefti has ridden it on his 'Wing with no issues, maybe he will post up.

I've not heard that there was a plan to pave the Apache Trail. Fish Creek Hill would cost a lot of $$$ to improve.

I can tell you the ride to Tortilla Flats for lunch is worth it! Pavement ends just past there...

#10 ·
Ok that settles it. Will look for another route home...thanks for the help...
Since you'll be in the area, take Hwy 60 east out of the greater Phoenix area to Safford. Go a few miles east of Safford, turning left onto Hwy 191.

Fuel up in Clifton / Morenci, then continue north on The Coronado Trail, formerly known as the Devil's Highway, which makes the Dragon tame in comparison.

You won't be disappointed.

- David

#11 ·
Since you'll be in the area, take Hwy 60 east out of the greater Phoenix area to Safford. Go a few miles east of Safford, turning left onto Hwy 191.

Fuel up in Clifton / Morenci, then continue north on The Coronado Trail, formerly known as the Devil's Highway, which makes the Dragon tame in comparison.

You won't be disappointed.

- David
Great suggestion..

#12 ·
I've done it, but I would't recommend it on the Wing. What I would recommend though it to ride to Tortilla Flats, have lunch, then continue on to the bottom of Fish Grade and turn around there. That is the best and most scenic part of the ride and very doable if you tend to be a bit adventurous.

#13 ·
Hwy 191 does look like a nice ride. I think we will be looking at that for our ride back. Then we can head back to Oklahoma via 60 instead of taking I40, which I have done numerous times, and will be taking it to Kingman Az on our way to Bakersfield. Kingman to Las Vegas for the evening. Then thru Death valley and finally catching 178 info Bakersfield. It looks like 178 follows the Kern River.

Thanks for the suggestions. It should be a great ride.

#16 ·
even the paved road is getting bad. was there last weekend to Tortillo flats.

#17 ·
Hwy 191 does look like a nice ride. I think we will be looking at that for our ride back. Then we can head back to Oklahoma via 60 instead of taking I40, which I have done numerous times, and will be taking it to Kingman Az on our way to Bakersfield. Kingman to Las Vegas for the evening. Then thru Death valley and finally catching 178 info Bakersfield. It looks like 178 follows the Kern River.

Thanks for the suggestions. It should be a great ride.
If you're taking US-191 northbound...it's worth the ride, but that 90-odd miles is a good 3+ hours to accomplish.

If you overnight in the Safford, AZ area, you'll have a long day, but you'd make it to Kingman in a day of riding.

From Springerville, take AZ-260 east, through Show Low, back onto AZ-260, stay on AZ-260 @ Payson, then switching to AZ87 just past Pine, AZ, turn onto Lake Mary Rd, take that to Flagstaff.

From there, a short buzz down I-40 to Kingman.

Have fun!

#18 ·
If you're taking US-191 northbound...it's worth the ride, but that 90-odd miles is a good 3+ hours to accomplish.

If you overnight in the Safford, AZ area, you'll have a long day, but you'd make it to Kingman in a day of riding.

From Springerville, take AZ-260 east, through Show Low, back onto AZ-260, stay on AZ-260 @ Payson, then switching to AZ87 just past Pine, AZ, turn onto Lake Mary Rd, take that to Flagstaff.

From there, a short buzz down I-40 to Kingman.

Have fun!
If he needs to travel faster, he could take 77 out of Show Low through Snowflake to Holbrook and catch I40 there.

#21 ·
We rode up the 188 from Globe today, had breakfast in Superior at BuckBoard Cafe. We had not traveled that way up to the lake in a few years. Did some sight seeing around the lake, rode back home the same roads

#22 ·
Rode 88 (Apache Trail) Friday on my BMW GSA with basically street tires (Metzler Tourance) with no problems. The road is graded but there are constant small 'washboards'.

No obstacles for a GW on the road, but it is dirt & gravel, so make sure you know how to ride your GW on that type of terrain. I wouldn't ride my GW there, that is why I got a GSA.

Now the road to Young was OK as well, until it rained, hailed, sleeted, and snowed on us. The Young Highway is well graded but has a clay and decomposed granite base, so it gets slimy in the rain. The Metzler Tourance did ok until I came upon a 100 yrd section of 1" ooze may of clay over gravel. Like ICE! I slowed and entered that section at 10mph with steady throttle but I soon went down on the street tires. We had problems walking and standing as we were picking the MC up and getting out of that section it was so slick. Even a 4x4 pickup had problems through that section....

Here are some photos...The last one is after I cleaned it today....

#25 ·
Hwy 60 east from Alpine, AZ

Once you arrive in Alpine on Hwy 191, gas up and eat lunch at the Wallow Café. Alpine is a fairly small community and takes about 2 minutes to pass through it.

Gas station will be on your left just south of the Hwy 191/60 junction. After filling up your tank, turn right onto Hwy 60 and go less than a block to the Wallow Café. Fill up your tummy.

Continue east on Hwy 60 to Soccoro, NM, you won't be disappointed. You will be passing between the VLA (Very Large Array) site, which houses quite a few radio telescopes. Good place to stop and take some pictures.

Just another thought on Hwy 60.

If you haven't already done so, ask about Hwy 60 in New Mexico, unless of course you are already familiar with that roadway.

- David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.