GL1800Riders Forums banner

Sedona to grand canyon and then to las vegas

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  marcelsouza 
#1 ·
Coming from houston on a two week trip with daughter .will be in sedona by april 23rd, then going to spend the day visiting grand canyon on april 24th. Where to stay that night ? Flagstaff ? The next day we will be heading las vegas riding some of route 66.
Were to stop to eat ? Where to stay ? Any tip from felow riders will be appreciatted.

#2 ·
I assume you are riding right? If you are, you have two options. If you have your heart set on Rt. 66, you will most likely want to visit the south rim of the canyon. After visiting the canyon, come back to Tusayan, or Williams. Both of those have rooms available. From Williams head west on I-40 about ten miles and take exit 139 toward Seligman, Peach Springs, and Hackberry. In Seligman, everyone is sucked into the Road Kill Cafe but the food is better at the place across the street. Take some time in Hackberry to walk around out back. The premises are quite large and pretty interesting stuff back there as well as inside of the store. Continue on through Kingman and follow old 66 to Oatman. When you get to Cold Springs, stop and ask them about the location of fish pond. It is worth stopping and climbing the hill up to the pond. Then read up on the history via the internet. Oatman is worth a visit if for nothing more than to feed the donkeys. From there you can head to Hwy 95 and take it up to Las Vegas. Option two is to visit the North Rim of the canyon by taking Hwy 89A. After visiting the rim head to Kanab UT and stay at the Perry Lodge. After spending the night, ride north and then west and visit Zion Canyon, NP (awesome). From there you can ride to St. George and then take I-15 on into Vegas. Option 1 is more touristy attractions and option 2 is much more beautiful nature. Both routes are very good! Have fun, I loved it when both my daughter and granddaughter used to ride with me!

#3 ·
I assume you are riding right? If you are, you have two options. If you have your heart set on Rt. 66, you will most likely want to visit the south rim of the canyon. After visiting the canyon, come back to Tusayan, or Williams. Both of those have rooms available. From Williams head west on I-40 about ten miles and take exit 139 toward Seligman, Peach Springs, and Hackberry. In Seligman, everyone is sucked into the Road Kill Cafe but the food is better at the place across the street. Take some time in Hackberry to walk around out back. The premises are quite large and pretty interesting stuff back there as well as inside of the store. Continue on through Kingman and follow old 66 to Oatman. When you get to Cold Springs, stop and ask them about the location of fish pond. It is worth stopping and climbing the hill up to the pond. Then read up on the history via the internet. Oatman is worth a visit if for nothing more than to feed the donkeys. From there you can head to Hwy 95 and take it up to Las Vegas. Option two is to visit the North Rim of the canyon by taking Hwy 89A. After visiting the rim head to Kanab UT and stay at the Perry Lodge. After spending the night, ride north and then west and visit Zion Canyon, NP (awesome). From there you can ride to St. George and then take I-15 on into Vegas. Option 1 is more touristy attractions and option 2 is much more beautiful nature. Both routes are very good! Have fun, I loved it when both my daughter and granddaughter used to ride with me!
Thanks a lot bglefti ! Yes, We are riding . My daughter will ride with me and my best friend's wife will ride with him. We are leaving Houston on April 20th and will be back by May 02nd. We are very excited about this trip. Many miles and a lot of country to see. Yes, we will visit the South Rim. I just made reservations in Williams. Again, Thanks a lot for the tips. ! I love to own a Goldwing and I love this Forum !

#4 ·
NOTE: Check opening dates for North Rim...it's not been too bad (snow-wise), but they don't open until a bit later in the season.

Biglefti's descriptions above is spot-on.

If you've never done the South Rim, you'll spend four to six hours there; the ride over to Kingman along the old Route 66 would finish up a day.

Staying there in Kingman and getting a bit of a later start the next morning to take in the sights and smells =:O of Oatman (...be there late morning/early afternoon) would then give you the rest of the day to Vegas, either along Us-95 (& see the bridge and the dam) and head into Vegas.

How old is your daughter?

#5 ·
NOTE: Check opening dates for North Rim...it's not been too bad (snow-wise), but they don't open until a bit later in the season.

Biglefti's descriptions above is spot-on.

If you've never done the South Rim, you'll spend four to six hours there; the ride over to Kingman along the old Route 66 would finish up a day.

Staying there in Kingman and getting a bit of a later start the next morning to take in the sights and smells =:O of Oatman (...be there late morning/early afternoon) would then give you the rest of the day to Vegas, either along Us-95 (& see the bridge and the dam) and head into Vegas.

How old is your daughter?
Thank you Sir!
Daughter is 25 years old. Our current plans are .... Leaving Sedona in the morning via AZ-89A to Flagstaff and then heading to Grand Canyon National Park. By the end of the day we will head to Williams where we will spend the night. Next day wil leave Williams and take I40 and move toward Seligman, Peach Springs ,Hackberry, Kingman up to Oatman as suggested by bigflefti Then will take Hwy 95 up to Vegas. We want to arrive Vegas around 3:00pm.On the way to Vegas plan also to stop by the Dam. How does it look ? Marcel

#6 ·
It's really neat, and, if you have the time, the tour of the dam facility and the history in creating the dam and what that project did for the entire region is another fun way to spend a couple of hours.
You two have a great ride!!

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

#7 ·
Thank you Sir!
Daughter is 25 years old. Our current plans are .... Leaving Sedona in the morning via AZ-89A to Flagstaff and then heading to Grand Canyon National Park. By the end of the day we will head to Williams where we will spend the night. Next day wil leave Williams and take I40 and move toward Seligman, Peach Springs ,Hackberry, Kingman up to Oatman as suggested by bigflefti Then will take Hwy 95 up to Vegas. We want to arrive Vegas around 3:00pm.On the way to Vegas plan also to stop by the Dam. How does it look ? Marcel

That may be pushing it a bit, especially if you want to take in any of the sights along the route. If I were you, I definitely would. You may want to spend the day in Laughlin instead of trying to make it all the way to Lost Wages. That way you could spend time at the dam and have a short day to Vegas.

#8 ·
That may be pushing it a bit, especially if you want to take in any of the sights along the route. If I were you, I definitely would. You may want to spend the day in Laughlin instead of trying to make it all the way to Lost Wages. That way you could spend time at the dam and have a short day to Vegas.
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am pretty sure the timing may change as we start seeing things we like and we dislike. This is a great forum.

#9 ·
Hwy 191?

Seeing you are coming in from Houston, have you thought about riding Hwy 191, aka The Coronado Trail, aka The Devil's Highway, south to north?

You would be in a fantastic position to take in this legendary roadway, while enroute to Sedona.

This is one of those roads which receives very little attention, mainly due to its remote location and not readily known to those outside of Arizona.

Just a thought, but one route you should seriously consider looking at.

- David

#10 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am pretty sure the timing may change as we start seeing things we like and we dislike. This is a great forum.
Your timing will be changing quite a bit . Last year girlfriend a I went to some of the same places , had to change a lot of stuff we planned on . mountains in Ca, will slow you down , just too beautiful to hurry thru them . if you run the back roads . Beautiful scenery , trail of the giants, ect. will eat up a lot of time . we had to cut out a lot of our trip . Good thing is now I gotta go back to finish seeing what was missed .

You and your daughter will have a great trip , regardless of changing plans as you go

#11 ·
deerhunter61 said:
"...went to some of the same places , had to change a lot of stuff we planned on . mountains in Ca, will slow you down , just too beautiful to hurry thru them . if you run the back roads..."
THIS! :D

One of the things I let people know is just that, there's usually time at some point to ride back thru an area and see more stuff on the same roads yo've been on.

#12 ·
you did not say but since you are going from the Canyon to Williams let me suggest that from Flagstaff you go north on 89 and enter the Park at Cameron from the East then head west across the park and leaving by the main exit and head to Williams. If you were to enter at the main gate and then decided to see the eastern side of the park you would add quite a few miles backtracking. Doing it the way I suggest adds few miles and little extra time but gives you the opportunity to see so much more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.